Sign in to follow this  
Carolinedoodle

Red Blotch

Yes, that sounds right. Try to be objective, His odds are very good. Excellent in fact. Trust the salt for now. Get some sleep and lets reconsider/evaluate progress in the morning :)

Oh god they're all different sizes :| not drastically but all differing, around 2x2cm each and they have filled a whole coffee mug! This seems so much. They're not dissolving yet much, just clouding the water. It's almost the whole pot.

Does this sound right?

They're not dissolving! Argh. Should I put them in something bigger with more water so they dissolve quicker?

Its a whole lot of salt yes. thats fine!

The more salt the longer it takes to dissolve. Be patient and keep stirring. Use a little boiled water if needs be. A few more minutes wait will not affect his outcome.

Yes, a larger container / more water volume helps dissolve the salt faster.

Ok they're in an old plastic 2 gallon holding tank. I'm stirring but they're not breaking down at all. This could take hours :(

Pour whats dissolved into the tank now and keep going with the rest.

Yes -a small amount of hot should be okay. I usually microwave a cup of water ( de-chlored)

How much prime would you say should I put in? A tiny drop? As I always add enough prime to treat the whole tank rather than the water changed per waterchange there should be enough in there to quel the chlorine yes?

Yes. So a drop or a few drops should do it.

The top cloudy part can be used now no? Some has dissolved surely?

The water is maybe slightly discoloured so perhaps a bit has, they're all not touching each other, very spread out, lots of water covering them. This worries me that the tabs are useless or wrong

They are just old and will take longer because of this.

Did you add the boiled water? Are you able to crush the tabs some more?

Great!!!!! Yes it does suddenly happen!

The salt should help the flashing.

It is also possible, remote but possible that he has flukes. Lets talk tomorrow- you may need to get the droncit de-worming tabs I mentioned.

Have you had any new fish in any other tanks btw?

No it's just him. I think it must be flukes. Perhaps coupled with something else.Any idea where I can get droncit de-worming tabs in the UK? I've googled it but no shops seem to come up that I recognise. I have set my alarm for 9AM so I can check this asap. He may already be gone by then :( hopefully not so I can get trains everywhere to find the worming tabs. Are they the sort of thing that can go straight into the tank with fast effect? I hope so. If you could tell me any instructions on how to work them, that would be great, so if I manage to get them in the morning I can act immediately and hopefully save him.Thank you so much for everything.PS when I say just him, I only have one tank, with him in it, no other pets.

Well 3 years is along time for flukes to lay low and Id have expected an outbreak sooner. On the other hand the symptoms do fit and flukes does cause reddening patches on the skin. I am going to PM Pixie for ya as she is in the UK and knows where to get the droncit tabs. Hold tight hun, you have done what you can. Get some rest now.

He's still alive this morning, no change in him though. I'm not sure what to do now. Any help will be greatfully received.

I've been searching for droncit de-worming tablets but I can't find anywhere local that stocks them. I can get them delivered but I don't know if it'll be too late.

That wasn't much sleep! 3 hours? Oh dear. I am so sorry theres no change. I am waiting for Pixiefish she should be on any minute with news of how to get the droncit tabs.

Meanwhile I suppose you could try phoning your local LFS? See if they stock them. They are made of pure prazi apparantly...

Also...did you say you have melafix there?

Yeah I couldn't sleep, too worried about him. Whoever says 'they're only fish' hasn't lived!

Yes, I have Melafix on hand. It's about the only thing recommended on here I've ever seen in a shop so I bought it.

I have phoned the local petshop and they don't have it, although they're useless anyway.