Red Blotch

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5-10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? ph7.2

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.2

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API Freshwater Master Testkit, drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? Nearly 5 months, 50 US gallons

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Fluval 204 External Filter and Eheim Aquaball 4 compartment one, can't remember the exact model.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? about 40% once a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Just Usher a yellow common, he's about 6 inches and 3 years old.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? No

[*]What do you feed your fish? Hikari pellets, Tetrafin flakes, peas, bloodworms, etc

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, he's got a little red blotch on his back, I think it's a cut although I can't be sure, I have searched through the forum for 'red blotch' to see if anyone else has had the problem and one member posted photos which look similar, only his fish was covered in them and they were diagnosed as ammonia burn, only it can't be that because my test kit is new and I test it weekly and it's never had any ammonia, not even a trace. I really live by the rules and I'm never late for water changes and he has plenty of space and is generally well looked after. So from this, I'm thinking it could be a little cut, but I wanted to check on here just in case, and if it is a cut then should I add aquarium salt or just keep the water pristine and it'll heal up itself? It definitely wasn't there last night and has appeared overnight. I'm going away tomorrow until Thursday so would really like some help before then.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? None, he's his usual greedy self.

Thanks for any advice :)

Edited by Carolinedoodle

Update- his dorsal fin keeps going down :( but when I go up to the tank he brings it up and begs, he's still acting normally other than that.

I am panicking :(

He's due a water change on Tuesday evening but as I'm not back till Thursday I was thinking it'd be ok just to do it Thursday afternoon, but now I'm panicking and thinking of doing one now, but I don't know, as the tests are all fine. I've read all the threads about red blotches and I'm scared it's something really bad, his dorsal fin is back up now, but I don't know if that's because he knows I'm watching him and thinks there's a chance of food. I just remembered he's been picking the roots of the java ferns lately, which are in plant pots, could he have somehow got stuck and grazed himself? How does something bad like an internal bacteria infection compare to an injury? I've never seen a cut on a fish before really so I just hope it is a little graze :( sorry to keep replying to myself but I'm sure you all understand the fear when you get up and find something wrong with a goldie! Eeeek.

Edited by Carolinedoodle

Aquarium salt can't hurt. It seems like the water is in great condition though, so with or without the help if salt, if it's a minor scrape, it should get better with perfect water.

Also, if it just appeared over night, take a look around your tank and check to see if there's any nook or cranny he might have scratched himself on.

Is the space below your filter intake small enough for him to swim under but get scratched? or if you've got any decorations in the tank that he might have wedged up against?

I would inspect it a bit more closely and see if it's actually an open cut, or if it's just orange spots starting to develop on the fish.

I've got an opalescent fish that just recently began to develop orange spots (kinda like a cow), and it also started like a red "mark" that I worried about.

Please post back and let us know if there are any new findings! :)

If you do plan to add salt, the measurements are approximately:

1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons OR 1 teaspoon per gallon = 0.1% salt

Also it's important that you bring up the salinity gradually, so perhaps dissolve 2 TEAspoons at a time throughout the day until you've done it 5 times.

::edit::

would you happen to be able to get a picture of it?

Edited by Tinkokeshi

I have aquarium salt, it's in tablet form rather than loose, I think I'll hold back on adding it until I'm able to be here all the time, just in case, so Thursday after the water change I think.

I can only think of him scratching himself when shoving his head in the plant pots, but they are smooth so I'm not sure how it could make him bleed.

It's not an orange spot, it's definitely pinky red, it's only 3 of his scales so quite small, I can't really tell if it's an open wound as I've never seen one and the ones I've looked at on google images are really drastic compared!

Thanks for the swift reply!

Edit: yes I am going to photograph it now

Edited by Carolinedoodle

It could just be a scrape, if so, some salt, with good water, should clear it up nicely.

You are taking good care of your water it appears. Do you have gravel? If so, do you vacuum it regularly? Do you ever do 100% water changes as part of regular maintenance? Just looking at the other side of things as to whether to consider septicemia.

No, it's barebottom, with some stones. I've never done a 100% waterchange no, but I do more than 40% sometimes if there's algae. I vaccuum the bottom, under the plantpots and stones etc every week.

Unfortunately my camera is dead so I'm having to charge it before I get a photo.

Well, I know that Trinket, and I'm sure other Mods, advise to do a 100% water change once a month because, even though the water readings still come out good, I guess a buildup of bad bacteria can still happen. If so, sometimes the fish can get an internal bacterial infection. Now, not saying this is it. Just thinking outloud on all the possibilities. We can't know 'til we see the picture.

When I say I do more than 40% sometimes, it it probably about 80% every 4 or 5 cleans, thinking about it.Here are the photos.

DSCF8133.jpg

DSCF8134.jpg

DSCF8136.jpg

On the last one it looks like he has more than one area of red blotch, but there is only one area, he has lost scales over the years and they have grown back dark, so that's what that is.

Edited by Carolinedoodle

Oh and excuse the algae, the sun shines onto the tank sometimes and seems to make it appear!

I'm really panicking that this isn't a scrape and is some sort of bacterial thing.

I don't know about that. Now, I'm not an expert, Trinket would be a better final say, but I'm leaning toward a scrape. It doesn't really look like septicemia that I've seen. Of course, not treated properly, secondary infections could result, not to scare you again, but you have good water so, kept up, that shouldn't happen. Yeah, I think it's a scrape and salt ought to do it.

Ok, thanks. I really hope it is. I'm going to do a waterchange now.

Also I don't know if it's my imagination or he just looked different with his dorsal fin down, but before he seemed to be swimming a bit weirdly, like erratically, but now he looks normal again.

I feel sick with worry, everyone thinks I'm mental and over reacting, but thankfully I know people on here will understand!

ARGH. He is definitely swimming erratically every now and then, like really quickly. That's usually a symptom of flukes as far as I know? Or can it be linked to other things? Did a 50% waterchange, the readings are still fine.

He is now bottom sitting on and off, always getting up when I go over. I have no idea what to do as I'm going away, considering cancelling it because I'm so upset over this. I don't understand how this has happened all of a sudden when I do nothing but give him the best care and attention and haven't changed any of my normal routine. :(

Oh god this is awful, he's just swam round the tank crazily crashing into things, and now he's on the bottom again, I can't find anything in past problems on here that mentions red blotch and erratic swimming, and I can't stop crying, I don't want to even go to bed cos I'm scared he'll be dead when I wake up. He isn't flashing or twitching. Could it be flukes or parasites? Please if anyone has any ideas let me know, I'm getting up early tomorrow to check this and then can go straight to the petshop to see if they have any meds, which they probably don't as the UK is useless for that

I have Melafix and JMC aquatics aquarium salt. It says on here "If the ingredients are not listed do not use the salt -to be safe." and they're not so I'm wary about using it. Melafix says it's ok for bacterial infections but as I don't know if he has that I'm wary of using it too. I just don't know what to do and feel like he's going to die if I do nothing.

ARGH. He is definitely swimming erratically every now and then, like really quickly. That's usually a symptom of flukes as far as I know? Or can it be linked to other things? Did a 50% waterchange, the readings are still fine.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Was doing water changes myself! Don't panic. We need to stay calm.... we'll get through it...

Was the water temperature matched and did you use dechlorinator?

Hold off on medicating for now.

Edited by lynda441

Yes and yes, I always match temp and would never not dechlorinate. I live by the rules of this forum. He's going to die I can tell. it's all so sudden. I love him so much :(

Did you salt? Did you add anything besides the dechlorinator? He's definitely reacting to something about the water change. Yes, flukes would bring on that reaction, but not so abruptly like that. Your fish was fine, a little mopey, but fine, before the water change, then acting crazy after it. It has to have something to do with the water change. Do you have the old water by chance still?

I haven't salted as I don't know it's safe with no list of stuff in it.

Didn't add anything. I don't think it's the water change. I think I just didn't watch him long enough before I did it, he's probably been doing this before I saw the red mark. I don't still have the water.

Caroline, Im sorry about your fish. Please dont panic, he's going to be okay. The behavior is more alarming than the redness which does appear on orange fish after a scrape and as healing.

I agree with the others you should certainly start with salt. If the salt you have there was sold in an aquarium shop it is safe I promise you.

Did you recently feed bloodworm or live foods? Any new plants?

No new plants or anything, fed frozen bloodworms yesterday out of the usual pack, which I've had for 2 months and it's been fine so dont think they could be 'off'.

He looks like he is on death's doorstep, bottom sitting, clamped.

It's 3AM here.

The salt is in tablet form it says 1-2 tablets per 5 litres. So do I add 36 tablets for my 180 litres?!! I don't even know if there's that many tablets in the pot :S seems so much. I've read the salting guidelines and they use tablespoons etc so I'm so confused and crying and useless.

That's correct. 36 tabs for now. If you can do it now, do. Try not to panic sweetie. He is a 3 year old strong fish and you have good water and have done nothing unusual. The very best you can do right now is salt him. If he is having problems breathing this will help him. It will also help flick off any opportune parasites that may have multiplied. Salt treats a multitude of parasites. You can add another dose tomorrow.

If you can get some droncit de-worming tabs tomorrow, Pixie was saying these are pure prazi and could maybe talk you through crushing those and using them in case flukes have been lieing low and have become a problem.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will put 36 tablets in a cup of tank water and let them disolve completely, then pour it in at the filter output. Is this right? I tried to read the instructions but crying doesn't help. Thanks so much for this help you've given