Male Goldfish Relentlessly Nibbling At Female's Anal Port

Guest goldienewbie

Guest goldienewbie

My male lionhead (approximately 3 inches) has been relentlessly and violently nibbling at the anal port of my female oranda (approximately 4 inches). At first I believed this behavior would cease after they had finished spawning. Then I hoped it would stop after they were moved into their larger 29 gallon aquarium. However, they sucessfully spawned 2 months ago and the behavior has yet to cease. The female oranda has a small frayed portion on the end of her tail. I am concerned that this is slowing the healing process. I've also noticed that he has begun wearing her out to the point to where she does not even try to evade him anymore. This behavior tends to occur in spurts, usually once or twice a day for an extended period of time, usually an hour or more. It appears to be unrelated to feeding. I have tried feeding them more and more often and it hasn't decreased the frequency of the behavior. One option would be to seperate them with a tank divider. However, since this has been going on for a while it seems like it would only be a temporary fix. As soon as I put them back together it would probably begin again. I have exhausted all of my resources, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Spanky_

I would go with the tank divider option for a while. You never know, a cooling off period might just be what they need. Either way the female will be glad of the break and have a chance to heal.

Guest goldienewbie

The female was looking quite stressed and I was concerned he'd injure her. I made a makeshift divider and seperated them. It is plastic and has plenty of holes in it, but should I be concerned about chemicals or other toxins? They have been seperated for about 12 hours and the lively male looks as if he is silently plotting revenge. At one point she swam next to the divider and he tried to nip through the holes. She is very content and has been swimming around peacefully. I am unsure how long to seperate them for. I remember reading that keeping them apart for too long may no more harm than good. Any ideas?

Also, since this behavior has been present most of the time I've had these two (approximately 3 months) I am considering finding the male a new home. To be honest, I am much more attatched to the beautiful oranda. I have very little experience with fish, so I'm not sure what the chances are he'll calm down once she's well and they are adjusted to their larger home.

Thanks for your help Spanky. A second opinion is so nice to have!