Sign in to follow this  
lynda441

On The Town In Los Angeles

So, I thought my Saturday would consist of treating myself to some window shopping at the LFSs around me. Just window shopping for something fun to do. There are four I usually like to check out.

At the first LFS, Oranda Aquarium, they had a whole tank full of bubble eyes! What a treat! :gfish: Very cool, but not what I was looking for. So, my next stop was to The Aquarium, not much out of the ordinary, just many fantails, but there was a beautiful little tri-color fantail, yellow, red and black, that was stunning. Again, beautiful, :gfish: but not what I was looking for.

Next was Apex Aquarium. This used to be a pretty nice store, but it's really gone downhill. I still check it out though, cuz at one time, it was The Aquarium that was the crummy store, so you never know.... Anyway, spent about 2 minutes in Apex. Nothing at all interesting. Oh, except a mom and her kid who were looking at tetras :5: and the kid asks how many they can get and mom says, well, not too many. We can't fit many more in our bowl...... rrrrr.... :ignore

So, the last store, Aquarium City, is in The Valley, specifically, Canoga Hills, over the hill from me. Not really all that far mileage-wise, but with weekend LA traffic, heck, any kind of LA traffic!, it takes at least twice as long as it should. But, Aquarium City is a nice store and worth the trip. So, I get there, park and I walk in and start looking around. I see others pointing at tanks, alternately trying to decide between a tropical angelfish and a red cap oranda. .... uhmmm.... different fish people! It is all I can do to stop my mouth from saying, "IF YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM, YOU SHOULDN'T BE BUYING ANY OF THEM!!!!" :krazy:

So, anyway, I'm slowly browsing my way down the aisle and, lo and behold, a tank of more bubble eyes! And even better this time... calico bubble eyes! How cool! I've decided it's bubble eye season. Then there in the next tank, there was a huge, 5" panda oranda with the biggest, floppiest wen! Oh, what a beauty it was! It seemed just ever so slightly under the weather, but not so bad as to not take him if one (with knowledge!) were willing. And the next tank had yet more bubble eyes, but this time there were solid black ones and solid platinum ones... oh my! These guys were somethin'!

So, moving on, the next tank had some tinies... just little one inchers... first that I see are red and white fantails... lovely, but not what I'm looking for...then, a little chocolate one zips by me and, of course, since I'm looking for a chocolate pom pom oranda, my eyes perk up... ooh, ooh... could it be possible that it had pom poms? I've seen quite a few chocolates over the last few weeks, but no pom poms. But there.... there! There's something on the nose. No.... it's just nasal bouquets...... isn't it?........ this requires more looking... there were other chocolates in the tank and, yes! there they were! POM POMS!!!! and even better there was one with ORANGE pom poms! My dream has come true!

If I had been 3 years old, the entire store would've heard my squeals of delight... heck, Santa Monica way over the hill would've heard those squeals of delight! My chocolate, orange pom pom oranda! My dream fish in the size I had been looking for! Oh, okay.... I really was hoping for a 2", but in a world of 4" and 5" monsters, I'd rather go smaller than larger... and so it is mine! :r030: There was only one with orange pom poms, so I stood guard over that tank until I could get help. I would've bopped anyone over the head with a piece of driftwood if they had tried to take my baby! :wa

No pictures yet. I'm still getting everything set up, and I'm supposed to get my new camera on Tuesday or Wednesday. But, I will get something posted! Happy Dance!

:nana:rockon:bounce:booty:happydance:panana:9:tbanana:heart:crazy::hi5:pianobanana:clapping::carrot::Jig::greenbanana::redbanana:

Yay! So glad to hear you found exactly what you were looking for! It's always so nice to find the perfect fish!!! Can't wait to see pictures! :)

LMAO. My kindof shopping exursion. Isn't it so nice to come home with something you didnt have to try on. You were in luck and in fact all your stores sound to have a great selection of fish.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BABY!! :rockon

Okay here we go! Presenting...... ta, da, da, da! .... OMG! I don't know! I haven't even had a chance to consider names yet! Anyway!

Just to give you an idea of her size... its size... it's in a rocks glass... sorry for all the water drips!

Pomm4.jpg

Pomm3.jpg

Pomm2.jpg

Pomm1.jpg

Edited by lynda441

Goodness WHAT an attitude:rofl ! I love her with those funny poms and huge long fins. She is GORGEOUS !!!

She/He is gorgous Lynda. I'll have to get together with you one day and go aquarium store hopping with you. Prob alot more fun than bar hopping. LOL

What a great find! He/she is quite the looker! I just love the little pom-poms, and the flowing fins.

Goodness WHAT an attitude:rofl ! I love her with those funny poms and huge long fins. She is GORGEOUS !!!

I know! What's up with that big frown! And it IS those pom poms! I just love the pom poms!

She/He is gorgous Lynda. I'll have to get together with you one day and go aquarium store hopping with you. Prob alot more fun than bar hopping. LOL

Yes! We must!

It's in the salt and prazi now checkin' out the new digs...

Edited by lynda441

Chocolate Pom-pom on the rocks, haha! Sorry, couldn't help myself... sounded so much like a fancy mixed drink. :rofl Well, (s)he is really darling!!! :heart

I think I have come up with a name. Tobiko. In Japanese, tobiko means flying fish roe/eggs. mmm... you know... those yummy, poppy teeny tiny orange fish eggs on sushi....? I think the pom poms look like little clusters of tobiko. Works for male or female and it's nickname will be Toby. And double bonus... my mom's nickname is Toby! lol! Do you think my mom will appreciate a fish (sort of) being named after her?! :tomuch:

Edited by lynda441

Hi Lynda,

So cute! I am so happy for you. I just got my tank started cycling again tonight and so since I live in LA too I'm following that exact fish shopping route when it is my time to start looking.

Thanks for the perfect plan!

Amy

yayyyyyy...Congratulations on your new baby!!! So glad you found it...and Chocolate Pom Pom Oranda??...thats gr8...he is so cute..Tibiko is a nice name...very cute...

Edited by SunshineGurl

OoooOooo Very sweet fishy. Doncha just love it when you find ``the one``. :wub:

Very pretty little fish Lynda, and Toby is a cute name! Congrats! :D

What a sweet fishy! But I hate to tell you, he needs a tissue there's something in his nose... :rofl He's such a pretty color.

:Congrats: on that darling new fish. I like the name too. You almost lost me at the panda oranda(my dream fish) but I stuck with you. I know you most be really happy to have a healthy and happy fish.

What a sweet fishy! But I hate to tell you, he needs a tissue there's something in his nose... :rofl He's such a pretty color.

:rofl:tomuch::rofl2

Oh, and seriously, that big 'ol panda oranda was a monster beauty... for it to have the panda colors that long, you know the colors are gonna stay.

Haha!

She's got a "Get me the h3ll outta this glass before I go piranha on your @ss." look.

Love it.

Haha!

She's got a "Get me the h3ll outta this glass before I go piranha on your @ss." look.

Love it.

I KNOW! I discovered that putting my fish in a glass when I want to take a decent picture really helps, but they seriously don't appreciate it! They're so ungrateful! :rofl3 You should've seen my 3 inch oranda when I recently had to take a picture of him. Talk about going piranha on your @ss! Arrgh!, he was unhappy! lol! :tomuch:

Guest Danicole

I need to remember that tip for picture taking!

Gorgeous baby! Glad you got your dream fish ^_^