Fraser Island!

svendenhowser

We've just come back from our second camping trip to Fraser Island last week and it was awesome as usual :P The first few days was overcast, but never rained, Wednesday was drizzly but could still get about and Thurs/Fri was beautiful :) We camped at the Dundubara campground on the central/north eastern coast. It was crazy how many people hire 4wd's and have no idea how to use them, we saw so many bogged or stuck in creek crossings on incoming tides, they seem to fill the car with people and load all supplies on top of an already tall vehicle and have no idea how to drive on sand. Our little beast (suzuki sierra) never faulted, could get over anything the island threw at us and left bigger vehicles stuck in boggy sand.

Heres a few pics anyway :)

Wild dingoes! Fraser has the most purest dingoes in Australia, they think there are pretty much no pure dingoes left on the mainland because they have all somewhere along the line bred with domestic dogs. These guys looked very fat, obviously stealing peoples food they've left out (which is a huge offence on the island with heavy fines) or picking up offal from the fisherman on the beach.

DSC_0374.jpg

Lake Allom. Fraser has heaps of perched lakes made by rain, some of them are just spectacular! They are acidic so not many things live in them except for a few turtles and little fish. This one was quite small compared to others but had all these little turtles that came up to your feet :)

DSC_0406.jpg

Boomerang Lakes (I think..) Another lake, there are 3 flavours of lake on the island, brown, green and blue lakes hehe. Most of them are brown from the tannin in nearby trees.

DSC_0415.jpg

Wungul Sandblow. A huge sandblow right next to our camp, I made a stick tree :)

DSC_0503.jpg

Only a tiny portion of the whole sandblow

DSC_0515.jpg

We went on a 24km round trip hike to Lake Borawaddy. It seemed pretty evident that it was rare for people to go on this track because there were fallen trees everywhere, huge Golden Orb webs + spiders between basically every tree you encounter and there was no one at the lake :Jig:http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/spiders/...enOrbspider.asp

DSC_0580.jpg

Heres our campsite with our beast :)

DSC_0438.jpg

It's beginning to go into whale season where the humpbacks migrate down the east coast, however we didn't see any.. We did see dolphins surfing waves and manta rays gliding through the sea :)

Hope you enjoy!

Sounds like it was a great trip. Those pictures of the red lakes are amazing!

The Golden Orb spiders did give me a shiver. The one time I've been to Australia we stayed up in the Daintree forest and were proudly shown the golden orb that was living on the patio. I refused to go out here he whole trip. (Spiders and I do NOT get along!!)

Awesome pics again, you obviously like it up there. lol

Did you see any grey, seven legged spiders? I'm not kidding! I got lost in a rainforest once, around the Whitsundays, and the place was crawling with these spiders (about the size of the orb weavers) but their bodies looked like acorns except they were light grey and everyone that I saw only had 7 legs!!!!!

ps. No, I wasn't off my face. lol

DSC_0406.jpg

Completely off-topic, but this immediately reminded me off Terry Prachett's Discworld's 'world turtles', travelling through the vacuum space among countless stars and nebulae :) .

Edited by Erinaceus

Annette I don't remember seeing the spiders you described, there were so many :P Mainly just saw the golden orbs..

I saw this fella last trip at our campsite, I haven't really looked into what he is..

Warning - Spider in link :P

http://users.tpg.com.au/tbbw/catapillar%20059.jpg