Slime Coat Issues?

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

OK I noticed one of my black moores, Aida had white on her this morning so I flipped thinking it was ich again but just noticed that it doesn't look like ich. It looks like white slime on her side? It's weird as I also noticed there was more slime in the filter cartridge as I changed it, alot more than normal. So now I am wondering if it's possible that she has like an overactive gland thats making her produce more slime? That may sound crazy and might not even be possible but thats just what it looks like. Any suggestions are very appreciated?

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Ohh sorry about that, I am new and actually didn't even notice that. I actually have to test it but I suppose it may be that it's peeling off. All I see is like white slimy stuff on Aida's side. Everyone else is fine though.

If the slime coat is peeling off, this is a very serious matter. Do you know what your pH is? It could be that it is so acidic that it is peeling off the slime coat. If you have a test kit, check your pH right away.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

I honestly don't know how to tell if it is but its not affecting the other fish? I get it tested at the store weekly and this is a new tank so I havn't had it tested yet. I ran the aquarium for a week (As long as I could wait because the old tank began to leak) and let them in. Do you happen to have a picture so I can compare? Maybe I should take a picture?

I honestly don't know how to tell if it is but its not affecting the other fish? I get it tested at the store weekly and this is a new tank so I havn't had it tested yet. I ran the aquarium for a week (As long as I could wait because the old tank began to leak) and let them in. Do you happen to have a picture so I can compare? Maybe I should take a picture?

Yes posting a pic will help. You still need to test the water and post the parameters.

Yes, when you get the water tested at the store, ask them to write down the exact numbers for you. You should do that soon. Did you transfer the old filter and its filter media into your new tank? An uncycled tank is dangerous for your fish unless you are doing daily partial water changes. You should do one (70%) immediately.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Alright, I have some pretty clear pictures for you guys I just took, it's just loading it should be up in a minute and OK I will be sure to do that, the last thing I want is to harm my babies especially because I have two beauties coming home soon as I already payed for them just put them on hold. And if the water looks cloudy in the pictures it's only because I just put sand in and I thought I rinsed it out really good but was proved wrong. :[ It's clearing up fast though and should be over with by the morning and I'll try and get my water tested tomorrow morning.

If you recently added sand to your tank that is probably the main problem. You shouldnt use sand in goldfish tanks. And fish react by slime coat peeling to any skin irritant -sand is a common one. I would take it all out at once - do a 100% temp matched water change.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Oh, and they've only been in for two days and I did a 20% water change today and yesturday. Also yes it's the same old filter and filter media because I read that it would help grow beneficial bacteria

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Ughh thats a pain to hear. I spent 30 bucks on sand and was told it's good to use. Also, I spent soo much time filling up that tank running up and down the stairs with a puny pitcher of water. Is there any possible way I can keep the sand in? wont it settle down? Sorry I must sound so immature and irresponcible but my parents already think I am nuts.

I'm sorry to say I have seen this so many times. Was it aquarium sand? If so it has to be washed about 20 times until the water runs clear. Anything less than this will cause a fungal skin reaction (slime coat peel and white spots exactly as in your pics).

It happened to me when I used some bamboo I found and added it to the tank. Fish are very sensitive to any kind of leeching or toxins in their water.

You must do that water change.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Ughh. Yes, it was aquarium sand. :[[ So I guess I don't have a choice but to do it. Aida will be OK until tomorrow when I can do it right? Also, any tips on how i'm suppose to drain a 55 gallon tank and refill it again fast with a flight of stairs leading down to a puny sink with tap water? :yikes

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish

I know that it sounds like a lot of us to ask you to remove all the sand and do such major water changes, but we really aren't trying to make things difficult for you. if you want Aida and all your fish to be healthy, you need to do these things. Goldfish are very sensitive and need to have things just so. Trinket is very, very experienced and she knows what she's talking about. Cutting corners because it's inconvenient is just going to make your little fishies unhealthy.

You still really need to answer the questions. These, also, we don't ask to inconvenience you. We ask them because we can't see your setup. We need you to paint the picture for us. Getting all of that information is so very important for us to help you.

You've said that you have a 55 gallon tank. You've mentioned Aida and have made reference to "other fish," inferring that you have at least two more fish now and you have two more on the way. That makes at least 5 fish that you will have in your 55 gallon tank. At five fish, you have a full load and if you have more than 5 fish, you are overstocked and 20-25% water changes simply aren't enough. If you're having difficulty with your water changes, there is something called a "Python." It attaches to a faucet and if you flip the switch one way, it siphons the water out of your tank and then when you switch it the other way, it takes water from the faucet and sends it directly into your tank. They aren't cheap, but they make water changes much easier.

Also, if you are going to maintain as many fish as you do, you really, really need to get drop test kits of your own for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. You need to be able to regularly test your water at any given moment and be able to get exact readings without relying on others.

And finally, the first rule we will tell you here, and this is not your fault, we've all been there in our beginnings, never listen to anything fish stores tell you. A large part of them simply aren't educated enough about goldfish and above all else, their goal is to sell their products.

Anyway, sweetie, we're glad you're here asking questions. That shows you care about your goldies and want to do the best for them. Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to!

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Thank you, and I know that it's for the best just at the moment its a gigantic pain in the :booty to do changes as the pipes got messed up upstairs so I can't even use my bathrooms water, I have to take a filtering pitcher and go down the stairs through the living room into the kitchen and wait for the filter to de chloronize the water and bring it back up and put it in my tank where it doesnt make a difference. It's just frustrating to know that I messed up and now I have to do it all over again. Ofcourse I'm gonna but its gonna stink

Kayla. There must be another way to do this. Is there no tap upstairs? Is it possible to move the fish and tank nearer the water supply?

I have to take a filtering pitcher and go down the stairs through the living room into the kitchen and wait for the filter to de chloronize the water and bring it back up and put it in my tank where it doesnt make a difference.

Oh, my goodness sweetie! No wonder you dislike doing water changes! I don't blame you! I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. But, I certainly must commend you on your dedication for having to do things the way you've been having to do them. However, there are much easier ways. You don't need to wait for a filtering pitcher to dechlorinate the water. They make liquid dechlorinator products where all you have to do is put in a few drops of the dechlorinator product and the chlorine and chloramines and, depending on what type of water treatment product you purchase, other minerals as well, are immediately removed from the water. No waiting for anything.

Trust me, all of us have been there. We were all beginners at one time too, so we understand the frustration when something doesn't go right. But, things will get better. I promise!

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Someones coming to fix the leak Wednesday, and a question about the liquid de chlorinater thing- Would I fill up the tank and then put it in, or put it in befor hand? Thanks :) And yeah, I hate it. Thats why I only do like 25% water changes at a time because it's a huge pain and rediculous. I wish I could just drag a hose up stairs haha. Also, can I get that stuff at like mmm?

Yes, you can buy these products at chain stores. I never advocate buying fish there, but it's fine to buy other products there. There are other siphon products that just take out the water. Then it's up to you to put more water in by a bucket or other container. If you do your water changes with a python, you will need to put in your conditioner directly into the tank while the new water is being pumped in. If you choose the regular siphon and buckets, you can add the conditioner to each bucket of water before it's poured into the tank.

Here are some links to these things we've talked about.

Python

Gravel Vacuum

NovAqua+

Start Right

You also should get drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph.

Master Test Kit

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Will do, and thank you so much for all the helpful advice! Aida seems to be doing better now that the cloudiness has subsided and the sand haw sunk completely but I think I am still going to change to barebottom as I figure whenever one of the fishies moves around on the bottom, it'll give Aida another reaction as the sand is stirred up?