Don't Know Where Else To Ask This...

Is sand a good substrate for goldfish? Do I HAVE to put plants (fake or otherwise) in as decoration, can I put large rocks and whatnot in there as decorations? I had been keeping him in a 5g, thinking it was alright, until I read on the website that 5 isn't enough, he's been living there for about a year until I found that out, so I bought a new 29g recently and have been wondering what to do about decorating it, I want sand in it, but don't know how I would be able to keep (fake) plants in sand, I mean, he'd definately dig them out. Can I use some gravel from his old tank to put under the sand to seed new bacteria, would that help it cycle faster? Can I put a friend in with him in the 29g? I just need any advice and help you can give me. Also, the new filter for my 29g does not have a biowheel, but the old one did, how can I keep the bacteria in there, somewhere I heard or read that you can just never change the filter, but instead rinse it in dechlorinated water every week and it would help be as good... I think the filter DOES have something called biofoam or something, but it's just some kind of plastic VERY VERY open weave padding that doesn't look adequate to me...

Guest Spanky_
Is sand a good substrate for goldfish?

Some people say NO some people say YES. I use sand in one of my tanks, never had a problem with it.

Do I HAVE to put plants (fake or otherwise) in as decoration

Nope, the gf probably will not care if there are plants or not, it is all down to personal choice. They will likely enjoy nibbling at a few real plants though.

can I put large rocks and whatnot in there as decorations?

Again, largely about personal choice. You can safely put rocks in.

I had been keeping him in a 5g, thinking it was alright, until I read on the website that 5 isn't enough, he's been living there for about a year until I found that out, so I bought a new 29g recently and have been wondering what to do about decorating it, I want sand in it, but don't know how I would be able to keep (fake) plants in sand, I mean, he'd definately dig them out.

Not necessarily. Mine are planted pretty deep and i use plant weights, they do not uproot them at all.

Can I use some gravel from his old tank to put under the sand to seed new bacteria, would that help it cycle faster?

Could you use the filter media from the established tank and put it straight into the filter on the new tank, that would probably be even better.

Can I put a friend in with him in the 29g?

Yes, two gf in a 29Gal should be fine.

I just need any advice and help you can give me. Also, the new filter for my 29g does not have a biowheel, but the old one did, how can I keep the bacteria in there, somewhere I heard or read that you can just never change the filter, but instead rinse it in dechlorinated water every week and it would help be as good... I think the filter DOES have something called biofoam or something, but it's just some kind of plastic VERY VERY open weave padding that doesn't look adequate to me...

What is the make of the new filter? You might want to consider an external cannister filter.....

I actually like plants because I have read that they help consume the nitrates. I have java fern attached to driftwood, and the fish never touch that plant. Sometimes I wish I had something they would nibble on, when I go away for a weekend and feel guilty about not feeding them.

Yesterday I just moved fish from one tank to another, and took their filter, their java fern on driftwood, a bit of their gravel. It was new water, and this morning I'm getting a small nitrate reading, ammo and nitrite zero, so the cycle is still working.

While some can be successful with sand, it is generally not recommended. Here is a link to one person whose moor's slimecoat is peeling off in sheets because of the sand she used. It's also potentially hazardous to cutting gills. I really would suggest against sand.

Losing Slimecoat

No, you don't have to keep plants. They're a good place for fry to hide and if they're live, many times goldies love to eat them and they can help control the nitrates. I don't generally keep live plants, but I've heard that anacharis is a wonderful plant that's like catnip to goldies. They love it. Plants, and in fact, all decorations, are not necessary and are simply for our viewing pleasure.

Large rocks are generally suggested over gravel if you want something like that in your tank; howver, most serious goldfish keepers opt for barebottom tanks.

Yes, a 29 gallon tank is a good size for two goldies.

Usually filters that come with a tank setup are insufficient for a goldfish's needs. Gf need 10 times the filtration as the size of the tank. So, for a 29 gallon tank, you would need a filter, or combination of filters, that moved at least 290 gph. So, check your filter box/instructions and see how many gph it says it moves.

It's true that you should just rinse the filter media out in the old water removed from the tank, but depending on your load, you do need to put in a new filter every month or so.

Edited by lynda441

Guest Spanky_
howver, most serious goldfish keepers opt for barebottom tanks.

Whoooooooaaaaaa hold the phone sister. Are you suggesting I am not serious?

I really don't think she meant it that way.

She wasn't even talking about sand substrates when she mentioned "serious goldfish keepers", she was speaking about deciding between gravel substrate or bare bottom.

Most likely she meant that over time, people who get really into goldfish keeping eventually opt for a barebottom tank. (that doesn't mean ALL which is why she said "most")

Perhaps we shouldn't take offense to comments too quickly, since your question looks as though it might bring up a much heated debate which might eventually turn this thread into a closed topic.

You guys are more than welcome to discuss whether or not each of you are "serious, but let's try to keep things light and let HitomiMama keep her thread so she can learn. ;)

Look at that cheesy grin! You are just a twisted sister mister! :rofl

No, you're just very good with plants so you don't count!

And sorry... You are very serious. :glare:

I'm British, we do not take offence.

He's not a cheeky monkey, he's a spanky monkey!

Edited by lynda441

thanks a lot guys, but I do have one question, if goldfish are supposed to LOOOOOOOOVE plants so much, why doesn't Hitomi ever eat the lettuse and cabbage and baby spinach I leave in the tank a lot. I used to try to put it in there for him, but he never eats it, so now I just put it in there for the snails. I have tried it fresh and wilted and microwaved... but he never eats it... IDK...

My goldfish didn't like a lot of the plants I tried to put in their tank - even the anacharis - even though I did try to tempt them. I have sort of wondered about that. I suppose that I overfeed them, and they aren't interested in salads. They are such picky eaters, for greens only peas or broccoli will do. :)

Someone else had questions about sand, and I will pose the same question here - how easy will it be to vacuum the sand in the tank? Having not tried it myself, I can only wonder about fish waste getting into it and being hard to get out, harder than a gravel for instance.

thanks a lot guys, but I do have one question, if goldfish are supposed to LOOOOOOOOVE plants so much, why doesn't Hitomi ever eat the lettuse and cabbage and baby spinach I leave in the tank a lot. I used to try to put it in there for him, but he never eats it, so now I just put it in there for the snails. I have tried it fresh and wilted and microwaved... but he never eats it... IDK...

Well, my Jackson is the first goldy I've had that has liked spinach. Whenever I've tried feeding leafy veggies or plants, all my goldies just look at me like, "what is this crap you're giving us?! Do you really expect us to eat this?! I don't think so!" But, now, Jackson loves spinach.... so , who can tell... ho hum... they're just like people... some people love their veggies and you can't get others to eat them if they were starving to death!

QUOTE(lynda441 @ Jul 20 2008, 12:03 PM)

hmmm, have we met!!!!

You are soooo fickle! It's only been a couple of weeks since you proposed to Acupunk!

Edited by lynda441

Guest Spanky_

Well, my Jackson is the first goldy I've had that has liked spinach. Whenever I've tried feeding leafy veggies or plants, all my goldies just look at me like, "what is this crap you're giving us?! Do you really expect us to eat this?! I don't think so!" But, now, Jackson loves spinach.... so , who can tell... ho hum... they're just like people... some people love their veggies and you can't get others to eat them if they were starving to death!

QUOTE(lynda441 @ Jul 20 2008, 12:03 PM)

hmmm, have we met!!!!

You are soooo fickle! It's only been a couple of weeks since you proposed to Acupunk!

I'm on the rebound!!!!!!

:krazy: