I Need The Tank Fairy!

Guest Tankgirl

Guest Tankgirl

It was my birthday on Tuesday and my brother was away...but he came back saying he was going to buy me a fish if it was ok. I didn't refuse and went all spluttery and started daydreaming about new fishness...but really it's not all that ok! D=

I don't have room for any more fish and even if I wanted to overcrowd them, I don't have anywhere to quarantine it.

So I need a new tank in the next 2 weeks...and I only have ?50 for the whole setup...it seems impossible.

So I'm in desperate need of a visit from the Tank Fairy. Dx

You guys better send her over!

Who has her and when will she get here? D=

Maybe you should put some gelfood under your pillow :P .

:tomuch:

i'm not sure that'd be too great in the morning!

i'd stick with some pro-gold or something. :D

Guest Ranchu Addict

Not sure if you have a classified section of your newspaper but there can be good deals found there. In the meantime maybe a 20-30 gallon rubbermaid tote for your QT tank? Hope your birthday was nice.

Guest Tankgirl

It wasn't too bad, thankyou. =]

xD Yeah, I'll put some under tonight...in fact, I'll go round the house putting some under ALL the pillows. D=

I looked in all the classifieds this morning and the best I could find was an 8G tropical. ): Which I suppose would be far better than nothing...but would use some of the tiny amount of money I have for the real deal...which isn't so good.

I DID just find one somewhere a bit far away that's only ?1 at the moment and doesn't look like it's go very high at all...I just have to figure out if taxi fare there and back is worth it. ^^;

Guest nimajneb

Happy belated birthday. Don't forget to keep your eye out in your local charity shops - they're like boxes of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna ge'it.

Have you found your tank yet? If not, try Craigslist. I had a great experience. I found a seller close to me (well, sort of close to me) with a 30 US gallon tank, five new and used plants, a hood, two lights, and a filter all for just 30 USD. There were better deals, too, I was just never fast enough to get one. The good tanks sell quick!

I would try craigslist too. it is all over the world. Just look in the section for your country and town and look under pets and type fish in the search area under pets and it should bring up any tanks listed. Good luck and Happy belated birthday

Guest Tankgirl

Yeah I check Craigslist pretty regularly, along with freecycle and adtrader. =]

Unfortunately, because I'm so far away from bigger cities...there are hardly ever any listings. ):

There is one on adtrader now that I'm going to phone tomorrow about. ^_^

Don't suppose any of you want to spend ?300 buying a lovely number on ebay for me? ;D

Well I can't speak for the Tank Fairy at all-- haven't seen her in AGES.

But I just wanted to say that it is never a good idea to get a fish before getting a proper setup. It's not just the tank you need-- it's the filter, and a cycle takes time to form, even with jumpstarted filter media from your other tank. In my experience, impulsive fish buys bring more trouble than they are worth. :( Before getting another fish, you need to be absolutely certain that you have adequate space to house them, time and money for the quarantine (medications are expensive!), and then the time and effort it takes to care for another tank. I know what it's like to keep fish on a budget (uni is expensive, too!!). Scrounging for an adequate tank might cost you more money than you'd like, leaving you less to care for those you already have. And then your "dream" tank (we all have one) is even further off.

I've had to make the decision to abstain from buying another fish because of these reasons, and it's not easy nor fun. We all love new fish-- but I think it's important to keep the ones we have well. Just my :twocents .

My problem isn't really needing the tank fairy. What I really need is the bigger apartment fairy. If I could just find a 2 bedroom apartment for the same price as a one bedroom........................................ oh, sorry.... just drifted off there for a second dreaming of all the things I could put in that second bedroom....... now that's the trick.