Pouring Rain

daryl

And we are going to work at the farm. Ewwwwh. It is nearly 100 F and we are going to slide around in the mud and put up more poles for our pole barn. The neighbor is getting one up. My hubby says "We cannot let them beat us!". They put up all their poles in one day.

I reminded him that they did not dig 42 inch deep holes, get them within 1/4 tolerance and concrete them in. They ALSO have 5 men working - 20 - 30 year old men.... we are just two old fogeys who have NEVER done this before.

ARgh. I really do not want to go slide around inthe mud all day.

Yuck.

I think I will start a thread with all our "Construction" pics so you all can see the barn as it goes up.

YES! And I am curious about the farm in general!!!! What all you have there, pictures. EVERYTHING!!! It sounds exciting - - and a LOT of hard work!!! I am amazed you have a farm AND as many fish as you do!!!!

Isn't a pole barn like a big shed? Way too small to be a barn but a teeny bit too big to be a shed. I think....

Everything is fun when you're dirty!! Pics!!

The rain just made things muddy and VERY HUMID. IT was very very hot. There are about 985729485729875982475982458923748273 little green leopard frogs in the grass and everywhere - about 2 inches big. They fill up in the holes we dug. I cannot bear to have them die, so I climb down the holes and squat down and catch frogs, tossing them up out of the hole into the corn. My hubby laughes his head off at me.... but those frogs are soooo cute.

I took some pictures, but I sm soooooooo tired, I will have to wait to post up on Monday. We did not get all the poles in today - it was just too hot to work fast - and those poles weight about 300 pounds apiece. We had to rest between them. We got 5 more poles in today - there are 8 left to go. We need to get them in quickly so we can get the cement truck ordered up to cement them in before they go out of plumb in the sun and rain. They are wood - and will twist and warp if left too long.

Pictures it will be.

Yes - a pole barn is just what it sounds like - poles in the ground with a structured frame up around it. Most are used for farm equipment, workshops, hay storage, etc. We will use this one to house our tractor, planters, spayers, gater and other equipment. It is only 24feet by 48 feet by 18 freet high.

Modern pole barns are covered in powder coated steel - so we bought that. I designed it to have what looks to be a "wainscoat" of slightly darker brown steel on the bottom. HAving two toned sides makes it look not as high - and it should "fit" better in the landscape.

The corn is now about 9 feet tall and starting to tassle. It blocks out most of the breezes so that makes it even hotter!

Pictures coming on Monday.

:)

My goodness, you ought to write a book about your whole farm enterprise. Or make a movie. This is some project! Was the neighbor out there working on his barn in the mud?

You are wonderful for saving the frogs. I love the little spotted guys. Do you have an extra one or two you could send me?

Your corn sounds off the scale.