How Many Gallons For A Cory Cat?

I have a 55g tank with 2 fancy goldies and 1 cory cat. I'm getting ready to add 2 more fancy goldies but I also wanted to get another cory. I might get a snail too. I know fancies need at least 10g apiece but how many gallons do bottom feeders need?

I wouldnt mix cories and goldfish if I were you. If the goldfish gets too big, and tries to eat the cory, bad things will happen, as cories have very sharp spines. In fact, just about 20 minutes ago, I got a cory stuck in my net. No matter how hard I tried to pull the net off the cory, IT WOULDNT COME OFF. I ended up having to cut the net. Fortunately, the cory survived the ordeal. Now, imagine that, but instead of a net, the cory was stuck in a goldfish's throat. NOt a pretty picture.

Yes, that has happened before. I actually kept my cories with tropicals, perhaps consider a bristlenose pleco instead. Remember they need fish food as well, they won't survive on algae alone unless your tank is solid green, lol.

The guy at my lfs told me the same thing about cories so I try to get them full grown if I can. I would love to have a bristlenose pleco but I haven't come across any in my area. Any other types of bottom feeders that do well with goldies?

I have a few cory cats in with my 3 goldfish. They are all full grown and the goldfish never bother them. Dojo loaches get along with goldfish but they get bigger then cory cats.

I forgot to mention that Emerald Green "Cory Cats" get larger then normal cories. They are not really cory cats but are sold as them. They act just like them but get 2.5-3 inches when full grown. :)

I forgot to mention that Emerald Green "Cory Cats" get larger then normal cories. They are not really cory cats but are sold as them. They act just like them but get 2.5-3 inches when full grown. :)

Don't peppered cories also get up to 3" long?

Don't peppered cories also get up to 3" long?

I just looked it up and they get 2.5 inches. They are almost as big as the Emeralds.

Also, keep in mind that cories like to be kept in groups.... 3+ I would say, at least.

I would suggest only adding one more goldy and 2 or 3 more cories, just to make it easier to keep water parameters in line.

Also, keep in mind that cories like to be kept in groups.... 3+ I would say, at least.

I would suggest only adding one more goldy and 2 or 3 more cories, just to make it easier to keep water parameters in line.

That brings up another question I had, what happens if cories aren't kept in groups? I know they are a schooling fish but are there consequences of only having one? I'm planning on getting a couple more but I was just curious...

They swim in a strange pattern, racing up to the top and down again. Keeping one alone is probably stressful to them, too, which can lead to lowered immunities, which leads to disease.

My cory has been swimming in a strange pattern and I wondered why...ok, one last question: Will the emerald cory school with different kinds of cories, albinoes, camo pattern, etc.?

Edited by tangelo123

That site answered the rest of my questions, thanks! My lfs had some good looking emerald cories last time I was there, I think I might pick up a couple or maybe an emerald and an albino if they have a full grown one. I'm not sure what the color of the one I have now is called, he's mottled gray/brown with black spots. I think a couple different colored cories would look good together. Thanks for the info!

That site answered the rest of my questions, thanks! My lfs had some good looking emerald cories last time I was there, I think I might pick up a couple or maybe an emerald and an albino if they have a full grown one. I'm not sure what the color of the one I have now is called, he's mottled gray/brown with black spots. I think a couple different colored cories would look good together. Thanks for the info!

I have an Emerald in with albinos and another color cory. They get along well and will swim together.

I ended up getting an emerald cory today and so far he's not schooling with my pepered cory yet. I know it probably takes some time for them to get in sync but I'm seriously considering picking up another emerald. There was one more at my lfs and if he's there tomorrow I'll probably get him. So that would make 4 goldies, 2 emerald cories and 1 peppered cory in a 55g tank. I'm gonna stop there but the guy at my lfs said emeralds can get up to 6in long. Is that true? Think that would be too many fish?

I honestly think that you could get away with having a total of 4 cories, and this would be better for them schooling-wise. The larger the group, the better. With only 2 cories, I don't think you'll see much schooling behavior, you have to have a more sizeable group for that to happen.

After that, though, I wouldn't recommend adding any more fish.

And to answer your size question: I don't think that cories get that large, that they stay around 4 inches, but I've never kept cories personally. Perhaps one would get that big with really good care and food and everything.... ? Maybe someone else will chip in on that.

Edited by Petperson04