Floaty After Switching Food

My moore always has been a little sensitive (being floaty)..but not that bad .2 weeks ago I switched their food ..instead of the nutrifin sinking pellets (which he always did fine on ) to tetra sinking goldfish granules..well the last five days he has been really floaty and flipping ..so I fasted all of them after feeding peas for a day and all was good ..so I wanted to be sure that it was the food and I gave him some again and sure enough he flipped (poor guy) ..so no more granules I fed him peas and he is back to normal a little floaty but stable ...so he is fasting for a full 3 days ..sorry if this is posted in the wrong place ....I know you think I would know better :rolleyes: .. :D

You know I have come across this again and again. Its almost like some fish are actually telling us "OK. Thats enough I want a new food and if you keep feeding me this one I am going to lie on my back and kick my legfins in the air in a tantrum until you change it" :rofl (oh...yes like that smiley).

Anyway I do think commercial foods have a propensity to cause allergic reaction/gas. And that individual fish have individual preferences.

Digestion of the processed starches like wheat and soy that they contain stimulates an enzyme produced by bacteria in the GI tract. At the same time these bacteria produce carbon dioxide and methane gases in the intestines. These cause bloat.

And I also have a hunch that commercial food really does not keep as long as we think it does and some fish are just sensitive to older pellets that have absorbed moisture or bacteria.

yes Rychu is sooo good at being dramatic !!!! :rofl ,that is a very good explanation Trinket ,I always new commercial food can do this but never knew the exact reasons why ....now should I worry about the others eating this (my husbands question :blink: )..he feels that I should be careful..that if it made the sensitive fish float it could the others ..they do have a variety in diet so I was not really concerned ..but he is :blink: ...

I agree. I have one big Ranchu who flips everytime she is fed ANYTHING but homemade gel food - and gel food that does NOT have any processed food incorporated into it. I think Trinket may be spot on with the "allergy" theory. This fish is a great fish - solid and beautiful. She has taken best of breed 3 times at show. But she flips - solidly and "irreversably" as soon as she gets ANYTHING processed. (cold water does it too). Kept on a gel diet that is compatible with her system and she is GREAT. ONe slip up and she is pinned on the surface, upside down for at least 24 hours.

:rolleyes:

I have a comet who is very sensitive about food (no floaty food and no pellets and one certain brand never) and the only fancy I have can eat anything :blink: I'm starting to think that I'm the only one here with a 'sensitive comet' who is prone to floatiness. :blink:

I have a comet who is very sensitive about food (no floaty food and no pellets and one certain brand never) and the only fancy I have can eat anything :blink: I'm starting to think that I'm the only one here with a 'sensitive comet' who is prone to floatiness. :blink:

Wow, I have a floaty comet too! Peas especially seem to make him float. Sometimes he will hang out at the top of the tank for hours, with his dorsal fin poking up if he is fed too much. I have to just feed him little and more often, rather than lots at once.

I reckon his gills were compromised when I first got him and the tank was cycling and I had no idea what I was doing. That is when the nitrites in our tap water went up to over 2.0ppm. My oranda, on the other hand, will eat anything and everything with no problems.

Wow, I have a floaty comet too! Peas especially seem to make him float. Sometimes he will hang out at the top of the tank for hours, with his dorsal fin poking up if he is fed too much. I have to just feed him little and more often, rather than lots at once.

I reckon his gills were compromised when I first got him and the tank was cycling and I had no idea what I was doing. That is when the nitrites in our tap water went up to over 2.0ppm. My oranda, on the other hand, will eat anything and everything with no problems.

I think that something like that happened to her before I rescued them. Way to small and very dirty pond and probably some spikes that has given her gill damage :(

But she is a very happy fish and now I know that her prob is food related, she hasn't floated any more since more than 3 or maybe 4 months :D