Sink Or Float?

Guest genx1972

Guest genx1972

I made my first batch of gel food incorporating peas, carrots, squash, and tuna. Man! That was easy. My fishes gobbled it up.

I was under the impression that this stuff sinks. If so, I have air bubbles in my mix, how do you all keep the air bubbles out after pouring it out of the blender and into the pan?

Yours floated? Hmm.... No, it should sink. Well, if it has air bubbles in it, you need to take the container, plastic is going to be better in this case, and slam it down on the counter so that all the air is forced up to the surface. Gel will melt if left at room temperature. So, if you left it out to soften up enough that it became mushy again, you could slam all the air bubbles out and then re-set it in the fridge.

Guest genx1972

Thank you Lynda. I try to remember that with my next batch. It'll be a while. My fish are small and . .well . . though it wasn't a huge recipe like I've seen, it is alot.

My girlfriend thinks my fish are spoiled. I would say she is right. Every pet I've had receives good treatment, but after seeing some of you all, not necessarily you Lynda, I would say my fish are not as spoiled rotten. ;D

Edited by genx1972

The BIG BIG BIG trick with gel food is that you cannot blend the gel.

DO NOT BLEND THE GEL.

I drop all the floating foods, veggies, etc. into a pot of water and bring it just to a boil to blanch them and to fully soak the floating food. This mixture can be put into the blender and whirred down to a slurry - ready for the gel food. But then you need to STIR in the gelatin.

If you put the gelatin into the blender and mix it that way, you will incorporate bubbles and the stuff will float. So stir stir stir. I dissolve the gelatin in cool water and stir it into the hot veggie/protien mix and then pour it into the pan to chill.

Guaranteed sinking food - even if you use floating pellets to put in it! It is a great way to make floating food, sinking! :)

Guaranteed sinking food - even if you use floating pellets to put in it! It is a great way to make floating food, sinking! :)

:exactly all the pellets we used to make it, didn't sink, no matter what we tried, not even when they were dissolving after an hour. (Tested this in a cup, NOT in the tank) :D