A Question Regarding Planted Goldfish Tank

32Bit_Fish

For those of you have a beautiful fully planted goldfish tank, did you ever had problem with goldfish chocking with gravel rocks? If so, how would you prevent that to happen again? Also, I've heard Goldies like to move around rocks, so how would you manage between the goldies and live plants?

I haven't had problems with gravel being in my goldfish tank. I used to have larger sized gravel but now I have medium gravel. I just keep extra gravel in the tank so if the goldfish move the gravel I do not have to worry about the plants coming out.

I have had serious problems with goldfish choking on gravel, a few members have even had goldies die after swallowing it :(

The best thing you can do is have large river rocks, the fish can't get them in their mouths. Also, this makes keeping the tank clean MUCH easier. I went with this route, and put my plants in containers, here's a pic

IMG_1979.jpg

• Admin

Thats how I do my plants. I had a heavy planted tank once, and it was a bad idea with them. I had Java Moss that grew into the gravel and then it was kinda like a thread and got into one of my Oranda's wens.....So I took the gravel out and moved the moss so there wasnt so much....

Now my tank has just Anubis in there :D

• 1 month later...

I have pots that I put my plants in, or have it tied to wood. I have a mixture of plants and only pebbles big enough not to fit in my goldies mouths. I do find the my goldies will move the pots around, but I dont mind, I just rearrange each weekend.

And sand isnt the best substrate for goldfish as they like to rumage around and will stir it up and can irritate their gills.

I like the look of live plants, so I have large river rock and four wisteria, an onion, java moss and an anubuis. So far they dig around the rocks and the plants, but they don't uproot them. The rocks aren't big enough to fit in their mouths, but there are enough to hold the plants down so it seems to work out.

post-15599-1221345939_thumb.jpg

Can you find me a single case where gill irritation was a result of sand being present? Everyone likes to cite this (or rather regurgitate it) but I have never had anyone talk about an actual case that showed that sand causes gill irritation. In addition, there are many types of sand out there so even if one kind does, that does not mean they all do.

If they like it then why deny it from them? Foraging for food in the substrate is a very natural behavior for them. I can't imagine denying this to mine, but I have seen how much they enjoy it. They do sift through it, but depending on the sand used this will not cause problems because it will just sink back down again very quickly. Mine do it all the time and the sand I use (Estes' Marine Sand) sink very quickly. So it does not cloud the water, get in the filters, or do any thing else that may be a concern. It simply allows for a very natural behavior that gives them something to do.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple years ago I had some of that medium-sized ugly epoxy gravel... a green and white mix, which is one of those choices we make and can never figure out why we thought it looked good!

Anyways, my oranda was getting gravel stuck in its mouth every once in a while. I'd notice it and keep an eye on him, and he'd always get it out. Still, kind of worried me, until I moved him to a bigger tank with small gravel.

My goldfish are at least 6" including tail, and they go through the gravel nonstop, but it is too small to get stuck in their mouth.

I don't know about the sand irritation thing either... I wonder if anyone has actually had this happen, or if it is just an oft-repeated story. If you buy pool filter sand or a nice fine, weathered sand, I can't see how this could happen. Many fish root around in sand in their natural environments :D