Sign in to follow this  
SwimmingGoldie

From Tank To Tank

I have been thinking about getting a larger tank and I have been watching the newspaper and rummage sales and found a 40 gallon tank(no cracks or leaks). I currently have a 10 gallon with 1 telescope and 20 gallons with a telescope and bubble-eye.

I was wondering if I could just clean out the 40g really well and add all of the old gravel and decorations (from 20 and 10 that have been both cycled for about a year) to the 40g so I didnt have to cycle, or would it still have to be cycled again?

Also the 40g did not come with a filter so I was going to put both filters from 20g and 10g in the tank and then buy the filter fitted for the 40g.

Thanks

It is not so much the gravel and the decorations as the filter media that will help you to cycle the new tank. As long as you transfer the filter media from your 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks to the 40 gallon tank, you should be able to get that tank cycled in a few days at most. I recently set up a new quarantine tank at my house (20 gallons) with a new filter and new decorations. I added a small amount of filter media (ceramic rings) from my established tank to the new filter, then added enough bottled ammonia to bring the ammonia level in the new tank up to 4.0 ppm (there were no fish in the tank). Within two days ammonia and nitrite were back down to zero and the new tank was cycled.

I have been thinking about getting a larger tank and I have been watching the newspaper and rummage sales and found a 40 gallon tank(no cracks or leaks). I currently have a 10 gallon with 1 telescope and 20 gallons with a telescope and bubble-eye.

I was wondering if I could just clean out the 40g really well and add all of the old gravel and decorations (from 20 and 10 that have been both cycled for about a year) to the 40g so I didnt have to cycle, or would it still have to be cycled again?

Also the 40g did not come with a filter so I was going to put both filters from 20g and 10g in the tank and then buy the filter fitted for the 40g.

Thanks

Since it is a used tank, don't forget to disinfect it well before using it. :)

if you are getting a filter a would recomend top fin

Thank you for all the help.

Put if it is'nt to much could someone make a short step by step list, because I dont know what I should do first :unsure:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I just moved some fish to a new tank, and moved the entire filter, media and all, plus some of the extra media I had been saving in the tank, some gravel, and some plants. I used about 90% new water, dechlorinated, temp and pH matched (the rest was their old water added from fish catching in a big measuring cup.) The fish went in right away, and the tank has remained 100% cycled, much to my surprise and delight. Nitrates have shown up, but no ammonia or nitrites. I guess what I'm saying is that I kind of did it all at once, but was really, really careful about the water being the same, so as not to upset the beneficial bacteria - or the fish for that matter.

Maybe what you're really asking is would items from one tank contain something that the fish in that tank are accustomed to, even bacteria that they are somehow "immune" to, but that would cause problems for the other fish. My immediate thought is that you've had the fish for a while, and things would have been "cross contaminated" between tanks in that time. But it's an interesting question, and I can't say I know the answer.

Of course, cleaning the tank really well is the first step. I've gotten used tanks before, and haven't had problems with them. What will you clean with? I used bleach, and then rinsed the daylights out of them. Then I filled with water and put a lot of dechorinator in the water, let it sit a bit, then removed all that water, too.

Good luck! I'm sure your fish will love the space, and being together.

Well I was thinking about just moving all the 20g stuff in and let it sit for about a week. then add just my 10g fish, the filter and a new media. would that work?

(OK this is what Im thinking. PLEASE correct me)

Day 1

Clean the tank out (I have heard vinager im kinda afraid to use bleach though)

Fill the 40 with dechlorinated water. Then let it sit for 2 days.

Day 3

Empty it out, Fill it with 90% dechlorinated water then 10% old water from 20g.

Then wait a few hours.

Add filter with old media from 20g

Add the plants and gravel from 20g

Add fish from 20g

Day 10

add the fish from 10g

buy the 40g filter and add it

Day 11

50% water change (every week)

It sounds like you are super careful! :exactly That is great, and surely the fish will do fine because of it.

I should say that I've only been keeping goldfish for 8 months, so I'm still learning. But I looked at your list in detail, and a few minor thoughts came to mind.

You probably know about using only water from the cold-water tap (not something that sat in a home water-heater and could pick up chemicals.) So, if there is a big difference between the tap water and the current aquarium water, you might need to let it sit out for more time to get it the same.

Another reason that came to mind for letting it sit for an hour would be for adjusting the pH if you need to. The pH product I use says to add it, then wait an hour and re-check pH and KH. Apparently it takes some time to do its magic, though it usually doesn't change much in the hour. I'm not sure if you use baking soda, whether you need to wait at all.

On water changes - with the moving around of the media, you probably want to be testing ammonia, nitrites, etc. all along, and you may or may not need to do a water change sooner.

Also, you didn't say - would you add the media from the 10-gallon filter to the 40-gallon filter when you put it in?

(I did say that I read it in detail! :read )

The vinegar sounds like a good idea - next time I clean an aquarium I'm going to try it.

Just curious, what kind of 40-gallon tank is it - is it long or tall?

As I said, I'm still somewhat new to this, and these are really minor things that came to mind. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Also, you didn't say - would you add the media from the 10-gallon filter to the 40-gallon filter when you put it in?

I was just going to keep the 10g separate, kinda like a hospital tank or and QT tank.

and add the 20g filter and media into the 40g. Untill I get the 40g filter.

Just curious, what kind of 40-gallon tank is it - is it long or tall?

Its 36x15x17.5in

Let us know how it goes!