Gasping For Air?!

Pidge

Right my uncle has gone on holiday & left me in charge of his goldfish.

Ive been watching them for the past couple of days and noticed one of them, Chill a comet, is acting rather strange. He keeps on swimming into the current from the filter & well like pushing most of his head out of the water!

Any ideas on what could be wrong with him?

Edited by Pidge

Hey Pidge!! Before anyone can help you diagnose they are going to need as much information as possible from you. Please take the time to copy and paste the box at the top of the page and fill out as much as you know. I know you may not have all of the information, as it's not your fish, but try your best to get as much filled in as possible...

And I am going on vacation soon. Wanna watch my fish? LOL J/K

Hey Pidge!! Before anyone can help you diagnose they are going to need as much information as possible from you. Please take the time to copy and paste the box at the top of the page and fill out as much as you know. I know you may not have all of the information, as it's not your fish, but try your best to get as much filled in as possible...

And I am going on vacation soon. Wanna watch my fish? LOL J/K

I'd watch your fish babe!... if I weren't on the other side of the country! :rofl3

Oh, sorry Pidge! :))

It's so great that you are being so observant and conscientious of your uncle's fish! What a great sitter you are! Without any further information, I would right off the top say that the comet is just playing. I had a shubunkin, that's kind of like a calico comet... kinda... who was in a pond with a water fall and he LOVED that water fall! He would literally reach half his body out of the water trying to reach the top of the waterfall! He'd play in the bubbles and current where the falling water hit the pond. Goldfish love to play in bubbles and currents, so it's just very possible you uncle's goldfish is just having fun!

Not the greatest of pics, but this is just where he was beginning to lift up to the top.... his head is out of the water completely...

mmm_gimme_a_drink-1.jpg

Edited by lynda441

My fish Sheldon LOVED to dive into the bubbles!!! He would dive down and swim back up, dive down swim back up. It was the cutest thing!

On the other hand, Angel started diving into bubbles right before she started bottom sitting. I treated her for flukes, she got better, and doesn't dive into them now.

Lynda, ya mean you aren't willing to make daily flights to PA from LA to help me out?! Wow- selfish LMAO

"On the other hand, Angel started diving into bubbles right before she started bottom sitting. I treated her for flukes, she got better, and doesn't dive into them now."

Exactly - gasping on the surface and lifting head out of water usually points to a gill problem. Check your nitrites first, as a spike in these can prevent the uptake of oxygen. If this is OK, I'd go with a Prazi treatment for flukes.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 0

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.0

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?About a year.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Fluval plus4

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tapsafe

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Aquarium Salt

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? No

[*]What do you feed your fish? Flakes, Bloodworm, occasional fruit & veg

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? Pushing head out of the water

Sorry i didn't post these before I forgot about them. Im not sure of the size of the fish, but chill isn't pushing his head out of the water now. Maybe he was just acting up? Do fish notice when their usual owners aren't around?

What size is your tank? 0 ppm on all of your readings and 3 fish make me wonder. Is the tank really big? Why is salt in the water? Have the fish recently been sick?

Yeah, the fish could've been just acting up/playing. Now, I hate it when people say gf have 3 second memories and they're stupid because anyone who's had them knows differently. They really are quite smart and I have heard of people who say that their fish won't respond to anyone else in the family but one single person, so it is possible the fish is reacting to his missing owner...

The fish haven't recently been ill my uncle just salts the tank every now and then, and the tank is 30gallons.

Well he hasn't done it since the other day, so hopefully he was just acting up, i'll just have to keep my eye on him.

Good. Sounds like maybe he was just having some fun! Keep in touch if you have any more questions or problems.

Edited by lynda441

I have to agree that that kind of behavior can just be playing, especially if accompanied by a waterfall. Its worth keeping an eye out, but I dunno if I'd diagnose anything based on that alone.