New Huge Tank!

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

I got this great gigantic tank off of craigslist. I have no idea how many gallons it is but its huge!

How many new fishies should I get? There are four in there atm:

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/sx...ent=ahno001.jpg

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/sx...ent=ahno002.jpg

And here are some nice pictures to make your day :D

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/sx...t=booboo005.jpg

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/sx...t=booboo004.jpg

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/sx...t=booboo001.jpg

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Ahh I don't have one but I am sure it wont be hard to get one haha I'll be taking a trip to home depot tomorrow anyways

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Thank you! It is so big. It's just wow, boy did I get a great deal. It was only 25 dollars.

Im looking forward to adding new additions and re decorating. Any idea's on how I should decorate it? I kinda think it looks crumby. I am going to stick with the blue gravel though as it makes my black moores stand out very well :]

I'm guessing here but it looks like a 55 gallon tall. Very nice, especially for 25 bucks!!

As far as decorating, thats a personal taste issue. I'd go with plants, plants, and more plants. The blue gravel is ok if you like it. But in a large tank like that, natural light-colored gravel would show your moors off just as well.

Congrats on your good deal and have fun decorating! :D

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Thank you!! I am very excited since I just figured out what I am going to do with my decorations it's simple but I think it'll show off my fishies very well and look really nice! I am getting a few bags of white gravel and putting them down, flat. Then I'm going to take this old black vase and disinfecting it really well and cleaning it, then I am going to go out and buy a java plant and put it in the vase and just put it in the center I really think it will look nice because of the black trim on the outside and I am going to try and get the biggest java plant I can find, and maybe I'll find a nice backround. I am also hoping to add a Ranchu and a Ryukin. Haha, if anyone has any idea's for me on how to make my blue Oranda stand out more? You really don't notice her because she's so small and her coloring doesn't help much? Thanks :]

Yes, I know about blue orandas sort of fading into the scenery as I have one myself. WE know how special and beautiful a blue oranda is, but to the average eye and in a tank full of other stuff, they do seem rather plain.

To show off the fish, the goal is to make the fish the focal point. The more colorful and eyecatching the decorations, the more the focus is taken off the fish and onto the decorations. So, the more natural and neutral the colors of the decorations and the more simple they are, the more the fish will stand out.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Thanks so much.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/sx...t=durduh001.jpg

Thats how it was decorated, which was not what I came in the store looking for at all but it's nice for the fish, the car is awesome! It's got holes in it so the fish can (and have) hide in it. I like it all, except the sand because it clouded up my water (as you can see), made Aida get a reaction, and so far hasn't done much good.

What kind of reaction did Aida have? There have been heated discussions on here as whether or not to use sand for goldies. Many of us feel that sand isn't a good substrate for goldfish, as it irritates their gills and plays havoc with your water and filter mechanisms.

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

It irritated her slime coat and caused it to begin to peel. Theres a topic about it with very clear pictures in the diagnosis section. Also, anyones welcome to use the pictures. I'm sure it'll save others the trouble.

Aww, Kayla, I'm sorry about Aida's reaction to the sand. I hope she feels better soon!

I would guess that it's at least 50gal, maybe more.

I don't know a lot about fish tanks, but I do know a little about carpentry and furniture making. (I have a carpenter, a cabinet maker, and two lumber-yard owners in the family.) Anyhow, guessing that the molding on the dresser is about 3/4", that would make the tank about 30x12x20, so probably about 30 gallons. Am I close?

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Umm I don't know, I'll just measure it haha this stuff is very easy to get confused about. :pp

I'll tell you when I know how big it is. My babies are only like 2-4 inches atm so if needed I can always put them in my outdoor pond that is currently under construction :DD Because my commets are beginning to get cramped in their wishing well. Or, I could move a few of my babies in the wishing well. I don't know, I'll find out how big it is first of all

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Oh and sorry for the double but I measured it and used the site that CountryLovah gave me and it turns out to be a 49 gallon :pp So it wasnt as big as I thought but I am sure thats still considered good especially since I got it for 25 dollars?

You got an EXCELLENT deal for the price!! : ) And it's a perfect size for the fish you have!!! Aww that's a shame that the sand caused problems because it did look very pretty..

Oh and sorry for the double but I measured it and used the site that CountryLovah gave me and it turns out to be a 49 gallon :pp So it wasnt as big as I thought but I am sure thats still considered good especially since I got it for 25 dollars?

Yup! Craigslist is the best thing ever! You gotta be patient and do a lot of waiting and looking sometimes, but you can get some great deals! That's where I got my 60 gallon tank. It was $80 for the tank, lid and cabinet. Of course now, I've switched out the cabinet it came with for a new one I made, but still, that was a great deal!

Btw... how is Aida doing with the slimecoat issue? Is she getting any better? Did you get rid of the sand?

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Actually, I didn't take the sand out yet, yesturday I had a party, today was 'family cleaning day' but hopefully I will get the stuff to do it today. My parents still insist that I leave it as (thank god, Aida's doing soo much better now theres the smallest bit white on her and it's not even noticable unless you really look and her dorsal fins perked up and she is back to swimming with everyone else instead of being a loner and hiding) So I'd say she is muchmuch better.

I still think I should change the sand but we'll see what happends. And yes, I know its the perfect size for my four fishies except I have two more on the way but the four I have are just ickle babies so once they grow I'll have my wishing well ready and it'll all be OK in the end I think :) I am trying to think myself out of getting the two babies but I really can't stop thinking about them, but I'll go to the store and we'll see. I wasn't even really looking for fish just kindof hoping that I'd find some nice babies eventually but I found them first thing, babies I wanted ever since befor I started my tank. OK but I am going to stop rambling and see the time the stores open.. heehe :D