Water Changing Question

Guest karaa

Guest karaa

Our family is new to fishkeeping therefore, I have an aquarium water question. A liitle background info.. Our common goldfish is not doing well so I posted a question on this forum and a couple of you recommended a product called "Stress Coat". We went to the store to pick up this product as well as some water conditioner as we ran out of our trial size. Before we left I treated the water (with dechlorinator) we are going to use to do a 75%-90% water change. When I began to read the directions of the "Stress Coat" product I realized it also conditons the water (removes chlorine). Will it hurt our fish to use the "Stress Coat" on top of the dechlorinator I have already treated the water with? Thank you for any advice you might have!!!

No, it will not hurt.

In the future, I think you can pass on the Stress Coat. The regular conditioner will do what you need, and Stress Coat really does not do enough to make it worth the money.

The water changes are by far the BEST thing you can do. "Keep the water and the water will keep your fish" is a very old saying that bears the whole secret of fish keeping - particularly goldfish.

Welcome!

:)

Nope. You pretty much can't overdose on dechlorinator. But, whether you use the Stresscoat dechlorinator or separate bottles of each, you do need to add a stress coat/conditioner product as well.

Edited by lynda441

Guest Orandaa

The API Stress Coat I use comes about $10 a bottle and lasts months, so it's not a big deal to buy some. Its all preferance though and what you notice works well with your fish.

Guest karaa

Thank you for your help. Our little guy has new clean water which makes me feel better. I do not see any improvement in his condition (hanging out in the bottom back left corner, tail up to the sky). In fact today when he swims around he is bumping into the sides of the tank generally looking as though he has had too much to drink (I mean that respectfully as this is the only way to describe his behavior). I have not fed him yet today due to the water change and all. When should I feed him? Unfortunately, I don't think he will be very interested in eating.

Edited by karaa

Thank you for your help. Our little guy has new clean water which makes me feel better. I do not see any improvement in his condition (hanging out in the bottom back left corner, tail up to the sky). In fact today when he swims around he is bumping into the sides of the tank generally looking as though he has had too much to drink (I mean that respectfully as this is the only way to describe his behavior). I have not fed him yet today due to the water change and all. When should I feed him? Unfortunately, I don't think he will be very interested in eating.

I would suggest that you post a thread over in the Disease Diagnosis and Discussion area on your concerns. There you will find a list of questions to answer that will help us assist you in giving your fish the best treatment possible.

Guest karaa

Our common goldfish is not doing well at all. We have already lost one and we are not up for loosing this little guy. Here are the details requested:

received two goldfish on Friday evening

purchased 10 gallon tank (up and running Saturday evening)

used tap water and treated with dechlorinator

fed fish flakes for first time Saturday evening then fed miniscule amount flakes 2x's daily as well as 1-2 fresh cooked peas squished in my fingers

little goldfish dies Wednesday

one common gold fish in tank approx. 1 inch in size

no new fish

30% water change yesterday (Thursday) treated with AquaSafe water conditioner

80% water change today treated with AquaSafe water conditioner and API Stress Coat and 1/2 tsp. aquarium salt

Jungle test strips used

ammonia-0 ideal

nitrite approx. 10 in safe area

nitrate 0 safe

gh 300 very hard

kh 300 high

Aqua-Tech power filter model 5-15

ph between 7.8-8.4

not eating

-staying at bottom corners of tank with nose buried in gravel and tail pointing toward sky his body is limp when he is in those corners now he looking as though he has little control over his body movements dorsal fin is not perky

Thank you for your help. I hope I have included all necessary details.

Guest karaa

Sorry, my post might be hard to read. I just realized I could have entered the information in my post next the questions provided for this forum. I am new to all this so I do hope to become a more proficient poster. Thank you.

No. I, personally do not like Stresscoat at all. It tends to "gum up the works" more than it helps. In the case of mechanical wounds, clean water is best. If an infection sets in, you may need to treat that further.

As for lethargic sitting - if the water parameters are off, a water change will help a lot. If you are dealing with parasites, you will need different treatments.

I am going to move this to D&D....

Hi Karaa!!! Welcome to Koko's! It's great to have you here! :)

I'm pretty new to the world of goldfish keeping myself, so someone with more experience can help you out best, but in the mean time I can offer a few tips. Considering your tank is only about a week old, you are probably experiencing issues because the tank is still cycling. The following link will explain everything, much better than I can, and I think it will give you an idea of what to expect in the upcoming weeks.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

When the tank is still cycling it is very easy for fish to fall sick because of high ammonia or nitrites. Even trace levels can hurt the fish.. The key to keeping these low is daily testing of your water and daily water changes based on those levels.

You say you tested with Jungle Strips. Is there any way you could afford a drop test kit, such as API Master Test Kit? Unfortunatly the strips tend to be very unreliable, and in the early stages of your tank it's soo important to be able to rely on the numbers.

The 80% water change you did was EXCELLENT!!! That will hopefully help your fish out tremendously!!! You want to keep the ammonia and nitrite as close to zero as possible, so do your water changes according to your test results. Even if that means back to back changes. Make sure the water is matched for temperature, and use a dechorinator (like you've been doing).

Another thing (that you might be aware of now, just from looking around this board) is that common goldfish eventually need 20 gallons of water each. And fancy's need 10. You can probably get away with keeping the common in the 10 for a little while, with extra water changes, but you will eventually want to give him a home that is 20 gallons. Larger if you want to get him a tank mate.

I think that's all I have to offer at this point : ) I am sure a moderator or other member will be along shortly to help with anything I may have missed.. Good luck with getting your fish back to health. Once again, welcome to the board!!! :)

Okay, first, between fish just being kept badly in fish stores and the stress in shipment from the farm, and who knows what kind of conditions your fish was kept in while waiting to be given away at the fair, it's my bet that your fish came to you sick.

Next, you've had your fish for less than a week. And you're using strip test kits. You have no ammonia and 10 ppm nitrites. While nothing is impossible, I find it very questionable that you could've already cycled out all the ammonia and are already into nitrites in less than a week. As Country suggested, if you don't have drop test kits, it really is adviseable to get them. I really would like to see a re-test with drop kits.

Next, while I was cycling my tank with a goldy, I did 90% daily water changes, so you need to keep up your 80% daily water changes and test every day. I test before the change just to get a history of what is happening and then I test again afterwards to make sure I got the water parameters down to where they need to be.

Yes, you will eventually need to upgrade your tank to a 20 gallon for one single tail. At 1" you're good for a while, but plan on it.

Next, 1/2 tsp salt for 10 gallons isn't enough. To do a gentle, preventative treatment for a healthy looking fish, you'd want to add 10 tsp to a 10 gallon and for a sick fish, you'll want to bring that amount up to 3 tsp (1 TBL) per gallon over 12 hour increments. So, you should add another 9 1/2 tsps of salt. In fact, I'd rather say this. Since 1/2 tsp is barely anything, I suggest an 80% water change now then add 10 tsps. Then 12 hours from that, add 10 more tsps, then 12 hours after that, add 10 more tsps. I know adding salt to freshwater fish just seems wrong and, trust me, the first time I heard of that, I simply freaked out! I virtually literally panicked when I first added it, but it really is okay.

Then, when you do water changes, you will need to re-add salt allowing for the amount that was removed. So, in other words, if you took out 80% of the water, you took out 80% of the salt you originally added. So, if you added all your salt (a total of 30 tsps) and you removed 80% of that amount, you would then need to add in 24 more tsps of salt. Do you understand the mathematics of that?

Also, reduce feedings to once daily. Also, one day a week should be a fasting day, followed by peas the next day.

Oh, did you order the Prazi-Pro?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by lynda441

I am going to move this to D&D....

Oops! Looks like she posted a new thread before you could move it! Maybe you could merge them now?

Sickly Common Goldfish

Edited by lynda441

Oh, another suggestion I have is to see if there is any more descriptions of physical appearance. You said it is nose downward near the bottom of the tank, listless with a clamped dorsal fin. Are the other fins clamped or are they still active. Is the tail clamped and/or droopy? What about any white edges and/or ragged edges on the fins? Any white areas on the body? What about any blackened areas? How fast is it breathing? What do the scales look like? Are they flat against the body? Does the body look at all swollen? As much of that sort of detailed information you can give, or a picture, would be great.

If it isn't eating, you could always try making a liquified mash of food and getting a syringe and trying to inject some into its mouth. It will most likely spit it out, but there is the chance that some of it might get down its throat.

Edited by lynda441

Guest karaa

Hello everyone, we really appreciate your feedback and help regarding our fish "Spikey". I am sorry to say he passed away. We feel we did everything we, amature fishkeepers in a time-crunch, knew to do. We will never again accept suprise pets. I have to say we also know where we will not be buying our fish from. We are searching out some nice fish stores located in San Antonio, Texas. The blessing in all of this is: we do want to be fish owners now. We love the sound of the aquarium and the peaceful swimming of the fish in the tank. Thank you again and I am sure to be back soon with more questions as soon as we are ready to purchase our new fish.

I'm so sorry to hear about Spikey. It's always a very sad thing to have to go through. But, if we can take a positive thing away from such a sad thing, it would be that we learned something a little more than we knew before. And yes, when you're put in a corner like you were, without any knowledge, you did do the best that you could. The fact that you sought out help says a lot.

And, another good thing is that you've learned that you do want to be fish owners now. The sound of the aquarium and watching the fish swim and play really is a small joy. And with goldies, their little faces are to die for!

Now that you have time on your side this second time around, make sure you take things one step at a time from the beginning. The first two lessons are patience and don't listen to anything the pet stores tell you. Do your own research. Research types of fish. Research the Nitrogen Cycle. Research diseases. And if you still want to keep goldies vs. tropicals, for instance, make sure the research is on goldies as information on other types of fish doesn't apply. And don't buy your fish first. Buying your fish should be the last thing on the list. Plan on what type of fish you want and how many. Then purchase the appropriate size tank and filter based on those desires. Or, conversely, if you already have a tank, be ready to accept that you can only have however many fish are allowed to go into that size of tank. Get the water cycled. Get salt, epsom salt, various meds and med foods purchased and ready in your "fish first aid kit." Plan ahead as sometimes you can only get things online and if you are in an emergency situation, having to wait for shipping can make all the difference. Then, when your tank is cycled, go get those beautiful fish, but, as you've realized, don't just buy any fish just because you want something. Buy healthy fish from healthy tanks.

You are in for a real treat and joy by choosing to keep fish. It is difficult, trying work sometimes, but when you see a happy, healthy fish with that cute face looking at you, the satisfaction you feel is indescribable. And you will always have all the friends you could ever ask for here who are always ready and willing to do anything and everything to help you out.

Best of luck and happy fishkeeping! Keep in touch as we'd love to hear how things are going for you!