To Salt Or Not To Salt

~SHAWNA~

I have a question, or more so, a need for opinion. My parents, (who know just about nothing about fish keeping at this time, but I know they would learn) have been talking about getting a huge aquarium for some time now. They want salt water. I know very little about salt water and feel that I would be able to only be of minimal help in their initial setups as they learned. If it was freshwater, then great, they would have a resource at their fingertips. But they are bound that if they do get an aquarium, that that will be what they get.

My question is this - is there anyone that took on salt water as a first time aquarium owner?? Did you find it to be more of a challenge than you would have had you just went with a freshwater tank?? Aquarium keeping can be difficult as a beginner to fish, let alone with the added complications of all that saltwater tanks require, and I fear they might end up turning themselves off of the fish keeping altogether. Or I could be completely out to lunch and just not used to not being the "expert" in their eyes. :D

sorry I'm no help ..but I can't imagine how much harder it would be ..goldies are difficult as it is !!!!..no way would I branch into a HUGE saltwater tank first .all I know is some marine life can't be mixed with others and so on and so on I would get your parents to read up on everything ..get them to pop on to a marine forum ..they are sooo pretty but that takes time and lots of HARD work ..but I have heard from marine owners that once it is set up it is easy ..but hard work to get there..what ever that means ...I think it would be hard work all the time :blink:

• Admin

Saltwater tanks are just as hard as Goldies :D . The major difference is the price of them.

There are different was of doing a SW tank :D

1. Fish only (no corals)

2. Reef tank (no fish)

3. Fish and reef tank (both corals and fish)

First thing is to figure out which way you want to go. A fish only tank will not take as much as a reef tank will. Fish only tanks are easier to deal with too. The bigger the tank the easier to deal with the water quality and stability of the salt and minerals :D

With a reef tank your going to need massive lights, skimmer, filters, power heads and live rock. Fish only tank: some light, filter and one power head skimmer not necessary :)

I started on in a Nano tank and was a big pain in the butt, now that its a 45 gal tank much easier to deal with :D

I think they are looking to outshine the biggest of my big tanks. ;) Now how come my parents were never that cool when I lived at home?? :heart Hehehe Thanks.

Edited by ~SHAWNA~

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

My parents think Im nuts for keeping goldfish and not tropical fish that I grew up with. Dont know why parents change when we leave the home :(