Tap Water Question

Do tap water contain oxygen right out of our faucet?

I have been keeping the tap water in the water storage tank without an air stone, just a small powerhead to get the water moving.

I did a 80% w/c last night and one of the fish started floating at the top. But he is ok this morning.

I don't know this was due to lack of oxygen in the water or the salt/prazi I dumped in the tank.

The fish are in 3rd week of 0.3% salt/prazi treatment and I just dump 0.3% salt in the tank after the w/c last night, figure they should used to the 0.3% salinity. One of the fish seems to floated while other two seem normal.

Except at rather high temperatures (think 'hot summer'), the amount of oxygen in the water should be fine. When you let it drain from the faucet into your container, it is already aerated.

Except at rather high temperatures (think 'hot summer'), the amount of oxygen in the water should be fine. When you let it drain from the faucet into your container, it is already aerated.

Ok, maybe the 0.3% salt might caused the stress/floating then. Thanks

Do you have an airstone in the tank? All meds - even salt and prazi necessitate extra aeration.

Yeah, I have one hydro-sponge filter and a huge airbar that generates millions tiny air bubbles.

I was worried about the oxygen level in the tap water.

The level in the tap is probably mostly irrelevant because oxygen will leave water that's sitting for a while, and enter water that's being well stirred up. Its not so much like other things we talk about here (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, etc), which are solids or liquids that have no where to go. Its a gas, so its gonna move in and out easily, its not bonded with anything. Air stones and good filtration are like open windows in a car, they keep mixing in oxygen and keeping it fresh. Which is much more important than what the air was like when it entered the car.

Are there any devices or methods to measure how much oxygen has in one particular fish tank?

Fish is not gasping at the surface of water and act normal doesn't mean the tank is well oxygenised, but because it just have enough oxygen for the fish.

But we could never know how much the oxygen it has in the tank and what is the max amount of the oxygen it can have give this valume of water.

Thanks Fred,

dang,, look the price of these meters. I never expected this hobby can be that costly. haha.. :D

Do u need a meter like that? we can joint purchase one. :)

There are some drop tests. You just have to mix very gently so you don't mix in oxygen in the test tube and therefore throw off your results.

I've had a good experience with this one (Red Sea brand) (changes colors noticeably after X drops):

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=15482

And recommend you do NOT get this one (Tetra brand), which I found to have an unreadable color scale:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=4366

The only problem I've had with the Red Sea one is I find it reads basically zero after I do a water change with NovAqua+ and AmQuel+. I know that's a bad result because if the oxygen level was correct, any fish would be dead. So, it may be messed up by some water conditioners. My test the next day came out fine though.

Yeah, I was just going to mention something like that. Like you can see though, they're not cheap, not cheap at all (and intended for professional use IIRC).