What Do You Feed Your Pond Goldfish?

lantern567

Guest spawn

I feed floating pellets. Usually the Tetra variety mix sticks.

I've tried another ones, but those don't seem to pollute the pond as much as Trout Pellets and cheaper sticks.

For smaller fish who can't take them, I break them in half.

Just curious what yours like. I got some koi and goldfish food, but it seems too big for them to eat. My fish are about 6 inches long, excluding tails.

I feed them Blue Ridge GF pellets, Wardley's pond flakes; cooked peas; cooked corn kernels; bits of fresh tomato; cooked lettuce bits; bits of wheat germ pancake (mix 1 egg with wheat germ in small bowl and microwave till egg is cooked); ground up Blue Ridge pellets (in spice grinder) for smaller-mouthed youngsters; white bread balls (very popular) . Also my gel mix concoction, made with shredded canned tuna fish + wheat germ + cooked carrot bits.

Oliver

Just curious what yours like. I got some koi and goldfish food, but it seems too big for them to eat. My fish are about 6 inches long, excluding tails.

I feed my 4-5 inch (they were) comets and shubunkins Hikari Spirulina floating pellets (small), they love them and had no problem. They seem to cram four or five in their mouths before beginning to chew.

Yum! I get the feeling that there are some pretty spoiled little fishes out there! Do you all feed them every day or most days?

If it is me you're asking, I usually feed them twice a day, and there is never anything left uneaten. Given the number of fish being fed, it takes more than 5 minutes to toss the food to different areas so that all the different sizes get a reasonably fair chance at their share. What usually happens is that the smaller guys ( up to 2 to 3 inches) speed to a morsel first, then the big boys come barreling in like a herd of buffalo, knocking fish aside as they go for the food. So far I have seen only one little guy get sucked down the mouth of a big guy, and it took a while before the little guy was swallowed entirely.

oliver

Oliver - I feed my fish twice a day, too, and I always feel guilty. They eat everything instantly! You must have some pretty large fish there to eat a smaller one by accident.

Oliver - I feed my fish twice a day, too, and I always feel guilty. They eat everything instantly! You must have some pretty large fish there to eat a smaller one by accident.

To tell the truth, I have been amazed at the voracious feeding habits of my GF. Truly, they act like pirhannas (sp?). That's one of the reasons it takes me so long to feed them. For example, I toss a quarter-handful of the mini-ball food about 6 to 8 feet away from me and all the fish, big and small, rush towards that area. The small guys always get there first, but they cannot swallow the floating mini-balls despite their best efforts. They tend to push the mini-ball around with their snout. A second later, the big guys get there and start sucking them up like a vacuum cleaner, so it is easy to see how one of the smaller guys might have been "Jonah-ized." As I mentioned earlier, I watched the tailfin disappear down the gullet over at least a 10 minute period.

Anyway, while most of the big guys are bull-rushing the little guys away from the pellets, I drop ground up mini-ball food or flake food closer in so the little guys can rush over and eat away while I try to keep the others occupied with a fresh supply of mini-balls. I think the most fun is feeding them cooked green peas, which I mash between my fingers just before tossing them one by one into the pond. By crushing them, the insides get separated from the cover and they break up into different size morsels suitable for gobbling up by all sizes.

There are at least 50 or more tiny fry living in rainwater pools captured atop the half-folded pool cover. Don't ask me how they got there. I think these guys are living on the algae growing in those rainwater pockets, although I try to drop mini-ball dust as a floating food for them. I don't know if I mentioned before but those rain pockets are the local watering hole and busy bathing spot for lots of different birds. It's fun to sit and watch the bathing antics of the different types. I also have a suspicion that a small group of starlings have spotted one pocket of fry and are making muchies of them from time to time.

oliver

I feed my little koi Uno, the common carp, and my goldie Delko that will be going into the pond Sanyu Spirulina Pellets, Hikari Staple (im all out of those now though), and laguna pellets. Since mine have lots of natural foods in their pond I sometimes feed them twice a day or sometimes only every 2 or 3 days, and occasionally my dad feeds them left over fries :glare: