Bats In The Belfry

dickey_moe

I am a night owl. I have a part time job that starts at 10pm and keeps me busy till 6am. So I am used to staying up all night.

Well, tonight I was sitting in the chair as usual watching tv when something zipped by over my head. It scared the heck out of me! At first I thought it was a bird, but then I saw the wing shape a little better and no doubt it was a bat!!

I have no idea how it got in, but it must have been zooming around unseen for quite a while. He came from the kitchen and made a few loops through the living room and into the bedroom. Honey just kept on sleeping... :(

I woke him up and told him there was a bat in the kitchen and he said he would "get up in a minute". Then of course he fell back to sleep (My Hero). So I was on my own with the bat. He was flying very close to the top of my head and actually brushed the top of my head a couple of times. I didn't realize how quiet they are! I don't know how Mike kept on sleeping with me flapping a towel over the bed and dancing all around the bedroom (usually that would get his undivided attention ;) )

I did what I used to do to my parakeets when they would get out of their cages: I chased him with a towel until he got tired and had to rest and then it was easy to catch him with (are you ready for this?) a couple of small fish nets!

I have small crown moulding above all of my windows and doorways in here and it makes a little shelf, the bat landed on one to rest and I put the net over him and slid another underneath, and then I quickly got to the door and let him go. I was glad to see he did not get entangled by his claws (at one point he was hanging by his claws from the suspended ceiling in the kitchen, that was creepy!)

I have to admit I wanted to take a closer look at him and maybe touch him a little, but they have been know to carry rabies and I thought better of it, but I was fasciated by the crackling sounds he was making and his soft little ears that twitched and moved independently. Not a pretty critter but an interesting encounter.

There was one funny moment during his flight when he actally landed on the giant Batman doll I have in the kitchen (Mike bought it for his nephew, it's still here, the kid has outgrown Batman).

The Cats provided me with some amusement too! The deaf white cat was sitting in the doorway and the bat was buzzing over her head. She is so clueless! She just looked behind her with that "Huh?" look on her face and went back to licking herself. She was close enough to catch it, but nooooo.

Weeney (my fat lazy cat) took one look at the bat and decided this was no place for a fine feline such as herself and she hid under my desk. :hide:

They are sooooo brave!

I kinda miss the little fella now... :D

Isn't it funny how coincidental things are sometimes! I'm watching Batman Begins as we speak! :tomuch:

:D What an adventure for the bat (and you!). I laughed at the way you caught him. I always catch insects and so on like that but using not two nets but one and a newspaper or hard paper to slide under! My Mom taught me that :) You know what I heard they say about bats? That they will only live and fly in areas where there are low levels of air toxins (carbon monoxide etc) so you must have good fresh air where you live. No bats in Shanghai :D

BTW Your cats are not earning their keep and need reprimanding I fear.

We have threatened to throw those cats outside and let them live on dead crickets but it does no good. :lol1 I have seen them run from a mouse, and a bat is just an ugly mouse with wings to them. Useless! in the 14 years we have had them, they have yet to kill anything larger or with more gumption than a ladybug. Not a predatory bone in their bodies and If they have killer instincts, they manage to resist them.

I did not know that bats preferred clean air! The air is very clean here, Boston is the biggest city closest to me, and there is not much pollution there either. The water may not be very clean, but the air quality is great. (compared to L.A. or New York)

I live right next to one of the rivers that flows through town and there are alot of bugs hanging around my porch light. I think that's how he got in. When Mike came home, he must have opened the door at the same time the bat was swooping down for a juicy moth.

Lynda: I hope the sequel to that movie isn't going to be playing in my kitchen anytime soon. :o

then it was easy to catch him with (are you ready for this?) a couple of small fish nets!
Very creative!!

Not to worry you, but if you think there's a chance at all that it hit or bit you, I'd get a shot just in case. Most cases of rabies do come from bats, and in a lot of cases people don't even realize they got bit!

:rofl

Those are the kind of cats I need around here. Something that would leave my critters alone. That must have been quite a scene. I can just picture a TV sitcom, complete with the giant Batman doll.

I will have to remember the catching techniques. At this point I have plenty of fish nets that I don't know how to catch fish with. :blink:

I had a bat visit last year - I heard it flying around the bedroom at night, and tried to wake the husband up. I told him there was a bat in the bedroom. He thought I was having a dream. Well, it wasn't. Somehow he got frightened upstairs (the bat, not the husband) which is a big open room with 4 windows. We took the screens out of all of them, and tried to herd the bat out with the screens. He actually landed on one of them, and I held the screen outside and he flew away. We'd been seeing bats in the area for a few nights, but after that, no more bats. I guess they decided this was not friendly bat habitat. Now husband wants to put up a bat house.

I love bats! They are sooooooooo helpful - do you realize that they eat nearly their own body volume in mosquitoes? They are GREAT!.

I have bat houses nailed up to all the oaks around here - 22 of them. Most are occupied. At night, you can step out on the patio and watch the bats performing an air ballet as they zoom around feasting on bugs. They are truly amazing.

Actually, in the past 30 years, there have been far more instances of rabid raccoons and coyote than of any other creatures. The next most common host for the deadly virus is domestic dogs - people have gotten careless with vaccinations. A "Rabies Shot" is not an easy thing for a human to get - if exposed to the rabies virus through the bite of an infected animal, a series of shots must be given - not easy and not painless.

Little brown bats are so ugly that they are downright CUTE! Their little swiveling ears are particularly interesting. I am glad that you got a chance to meet this little one - and particularly glad that you took the care to make sure he was released without harm.

Most of my cats are the same way. Why bother with something like that. You are probably lucky that they do not want flying prey. My 2 year old (Wow - he is two!!!) previously feral kitty, Nicky, will hunt ANYTHING. If it is flying prey, he goes over tables, dressers, counters, art shelves, up drapes, over furniture and such..... smashing and crashing and breaking as he goes as he chases. He has never failed to catch what he is after, but the destruction that occurs during the hunt is usually far worse than having the flying creature in the house! We had a little sparrow zip in one day during a picnic as we were carryng trays in and out. Wow. That little sparrow made it out safely, but not until Nicky had broken a mirror, smashed all kinds of things and upset an entire tray of cold cuts onto the floor, ran through a tray of veggies (and dip!) and cleared all the paper plates and such off the table onto the floor!

Actually, in the past 30 years, there have been far more instances of rabid raccoons and coyote than of any other creatures. The next most common host for the deadly virus is domestic dogs - people have gotten careless with vaccinations. A "Rabies Shot" is not an easy thing for a human to get - if exposed to the rabies virus through the bite of an infected animal, a series of shots must be given - not easy and not painless.

You're right about that. I'm just a little paranoid because I'm good friends with our provincial vet, and attended a big talk he did recently on rabies.....it made me really scared of touching bats! :P

But in this case, I think Chickey woudl have realized if she got bit. Apparently there've been cases where people didn't, maybe they were being rough with the bats or something....

I love bats! They are sooooooooo helpful - do you realize that they eat nearly their own body volume in mosquitoes? They are GREAT!.

I completely agree. When I see them it usually means that it is good weather, like a summer evening and I'm still outside with a glass of sangria for instance.

Anette: I did think of getting the camera but I didn't want to take the time to let him rest. It's easier to catch them if they are trying to get a breath.

Chrissy_BEE: I did want to touch him soooo bad, but I figured that would be the best way to get bitten. He did brush over the top of my head but I felt mostly wind through my hair rather than bat. If he had landed on me, I would have freaked! Most of the cases of rabies that I hear about around here are actually foxes. Still, I was very careful and there was no contact between us.

Daryl: yes, I am glad the cats are too lazy to chase things like that. I wouldn't have a house left. :) I felt sorry for the poor little thing, He had no idea where he was and he was all in a panic. I was glad to help him get back to the business of keeping Gotham safe from that evil villian: MOSKEETO. :D

I think bat houses are a great idea!

Honey just kept on sleeping... I woke him up and told him there was a bat in the kitchen and he said he would "get up in a minute". Then of course he fell back to sleep (My Hero). So I was on my own with the bat. He was flying very close to the top of my head and actually brushed the top of my head a couple of times. I didn't realize how quiet they are! I don't know how Mike kept on sleeping with me flapping a towel over the bed and dancing all around the bedroom

Okay, so now that it is the next day, I wanna know what the hubby has had to say about all of this...

Honey just kept on sleeping... I woke him up and told him there was a bat in the kitchen and he said he would "get up in a minute". Then of course he fell back to sleep (My Hero). So I was on my own with the bat. He was flying very close to the top of my head and actually brushed the top of my head a couple of times. I didn't realize how quiet they are! I don't know how Mike kept on sleeping with me flapping a towel over the bed and dancing all around the bedroom

Okay, so now that it is the next day, I wanna know what the hubby has had to say about all of this...

He said: "There was a bat??" :krazy: " I thought I was dreaming!" :sleeping:

He said: "There was a bat??" :krazy: " I thought I was dreaming!" :sleeping:

:rofl2:rofl:tomuch::rofl3 That boy is one sound sleeper! :blink:

We had a bat sleeping on our screen door a few summers ago. The cats like to watch them through the big picture window we have. There's at least four of them, I want to know where they live (though I think it's in a small colvert-thing (I forgot the word!) a big tube that water flows through under land, that is in our backyard for the creek. Lots of bugs and though the air smells less impressive now that there are pigs, cows, goats, and chickens, we aren't anywhere near the smog that Seattle creates and live on the outskirts of Poulsbo, so we don't get much of that either.

Bats are fascinating. I wish you could have gotten pictures. They are so cute in that "only a mother could love them" sort of way. My cats usually only go after ladybugs and tiny beetles too. One of them doesn't touch flies at all. We spoil them too much.