Marc Morran And Elmo

I was watching Martha Stewart today, which is something I rarely do, she's a bit too high and mighty for my tastes, but she had Marc Morran on there today, the pet expert, and todays episode was a clip show of Marc's past appearances. Well, one in particular caught my attention when Marc was going to talk to Elmo (the red sesame street elmo, naturally) about Dorothy, his goldfish (who in the segment was a plain comet, not an oranda, like someone pointed out the real Dorothy is). Marc was explaining how goldfish bowls weren't good for goldfish and how Marc was going to show Elmo how to do it right for Dorothy, so I was going to watch, hoping to get some good tips for Hitomi. So it started out alright, he got out a 15 gallon tank and began floating a goldfish in there, who was not dorothy, but an oranda, who was going to be Dorothy's friend, but as he was talking about decorating, he kept adding more and more goldfish bags until there were 6 fish bags in there (a black moor and a pompom among some others) and then he added Dorothy in on top of the whole lot, so Marc told Elmo to put 7 fish in his 15 gallon tank, and then he told Elmo that since Dorothy's half gallon bowl was now empty, he'd show Elmo a fish that could live in there (a betta) he told Elmo to feed Dorothy and her friends every other day and feed the betta every other day as well. And then he gave all the fish to Elmo. By the end of that segment I was deeply disappointed, up until then, I'd never seen much of anything about Marc i didn't like, but that is just terrible, if he's such an "expert" he should know better than that, I can understand if he was going to stretch it a bit with 3 fish just for the camera, but to put SEVEN in there!? how many average housewives are mislead by that into buying the same sort of set up for their home?? He should knwo better, when people are taking his word as law sometimes when it comes to pet care... tsk tsk... Shame on you Marc, you have certainly lost a fan today.

I didn't see it and I confess, I don't know who this Marc Moran is, but if he passes himself off as an expert and if he is doing this to teach children, and adults, how to "do it right," this is, indeed, shameful. It's too bad. And the myths continue...................

I didn't really know that much about him either, He just pops up on Martha every now and again and when he does, since he's talking about pets (my passion) I usually perk up to listen... apparently he sometimes does animal planet too and he has a radio talk show too, he writes books also, so he's pretty "out in public" so he's affecting a lot of people with his misinformation...

Marc Moran suffers from the problem that so many "public experts" suffer from.... he has tried to broaden his range of expertise too far and the depth of knowledge has greatly suffered.

Mr. Moran does have a great deal of knowledge about birds - particularly parrots, his specialty. He has personally bred and raised parrots for years and years.

He has a lot of good information about cats and dogs - but only goes so deep in his knowledge - knowing the basics and a little beyond, but not much more. His knowledge of rodents and such is much the same.

The knowledge base for reptiles is barely the basics. It seems to me that most likely he assigned (or Martha did) an assistant to find out what was needed for basic reptile care and he gives that out. It is generally good information, but is only general - and it is the type of information that is easily obtained and lacks depth.

The same thing goes for his advice about fish.... he covers all sorts of tanks on a fairly regular basis. The assitant assigned to get him information seems to have used common knowledge in the fish world. It is pretty good, as it goes, but most is replete with mis-information about the more specifics of various specie's needs. Mr. Moran is quite informed about the basics of a tropical fish tank, but he generalized when he adds goldfish care into the same category. Bettas are also included...... :(

If you look at the books available in the library and in the internet about goldfish care, 90% or more will give you the info that goldfish need 1/2 gallon apiece - live about 6 months to a year - and do not require filtration. I collect goldfish books - and do not have to look far to find page after page of "care tips" that give you the same info.

I find it disappointing that the so-called "experts" in the field do not truly bother doing proper research. Any student of advanced learning that did that sort of truncated research for me would be dinged and probably bounced out of the program. Unfortunately, not many are true students and do not bother to do proper research before setting themselves up as "experts" in a given field.

90% or more..... unbelievable. <sigh> So, what are some of the books that fall into the 10%?

Yes, I would like to know some "good" books... I collect pet care books in general, the older ones, just for the novelty of the misinformation, such as my '84 parakeet book that advised the use of gravel, and the fact that they never need to have a parakeet friend, and it said that breeding parakeets was a great way to let children experience the miracle of birth, it gave advice on how to cure egg binding at home, etc. it's just a terrible book and I wouldn't take it seriously if my life depended on it, but I like it because it's like a comedy for me because I know better, and thank goodness I did, otherwise i may have saw this book and followed the advice, out-dated as it is, and had some serious problems on my hand...

Edited by HitomiMama