Questions About Cleaning

I have been living in the disease and diagnosis area for the last several weeks. My GF became very ill, then developed a bad fluke infestation. For the past 9 days, he has been in a 1g qt tank, with his 12g running without him and the new 29g getting used as a Prazi Soak tank. Below is a copy of what I posted in the other forum in regards to the last 8 days.

When I started the Prazi treatment 8 days ago, I removed Fishy from the 12g to the 1g.

Day 1 - Did a 100% water change, removed all gravel and filter medium in 12g, then added clean water, parazi and salt back into the 12g. The filter and the gravel went into a 22g tub filled with water and a triple dose of prazi.

Day 2 - After 12 hours, I put the filter medium back into the 12g and added a small portion of the gravel back into the 12g and put the rest of the gravel in the 29 along with all the plastic plants. I then did a 50% water change in the 12g by putting 4 gallons of the Prazi water into the 29g and (after testing to make sure all the parameters were good) I set aside 2 gallons for Fishy's water changes in the 1g. I changed 1/2 gal of fishy's 1g tank, and set the other 1.5 gallons off to the side to do three more half gal water changes for that day. I then added in another dose of Prazi into the 12g and made sure the salt was replaced too. I also use AmQuel AND NovAqua EVERY time I do a water change.

Day 3 - Removed 1 gal of water from the 12g, changed .5 in Fishy's 1g, and set aside the other half gal for later. I then did a 50% water change in the 12g, by putting 4 more gallons into the 29g and dumping another gallon on my lawn. :D I replaced the water, resalted and rePrazi'd the 12g. That same afternoon after the water was clear and warmed to the same temp as the 1g, I removed a gal of the water for Fishy's changeout in the 1g and left the tank alone.

Day 4 - I did no water change in the 12g. I removed 2 gallons to do Fishy's flushes and that's all.

Days 5, 6, and 7 - same as day 3

Yesterday - same as day 4.

This post was yesterday. After I posted and talked to Trinket, Acupunk and Hi-D, I followed their directions and I did a 100% wc on the 12g. Once refilled, I added the salt, prazi and declores. This morning, Fishy went back into the 12, and BOY is he happy. :)

What also needs to be known is that the 29 was still. The only movement of the water came when I added in new Prazi water (last time was 3 days ago) I stirred the gravel and the plants every time I added new Prazi water to the 29g.

Ok, ready for all the questions? LOL

1. In regards to the syphon tube that I have used to pull water from the 12, and ONLY from the 12. If that is dried completely between uses, will that take care of any flukes that might transfer to the new tank? Once Fishy is there, the 12g will be dry docked.

2. I haven't started the filter in the 29g because I was afraid to. If I do a 100% wc in the 29g and rinse off the gravel and plants that have been soaking in the dead prazi water, will that be enough to make sure that the flukes never gain a hold in that new tank? The only things the water has touched is 3/4th of the glass of the tank, gravel, plants, and about 2 inches of the intake tube to the new filter.

3. I planned on removing the gravel and plastic plants from the 29g, rinsing them good and even thinking of pouring the gravel into an old pillowcase and set it outside in the hot sun to bake for a day or so. Since I live in S. CA, the temps have been in the high 90's low 100's. If it's laid down and spead out within the tyed pillowcase on the hot cement and allowed to bake, will that distroy any fluke eggs that might be lingering?

4. Another option is to rinse everything, refill, start up and allow the tank to starve while I do a fishless cycle on it. Will that work?

5. Finally the last question. LOL Am I being overly cautious, or not cautious enough? Do I need to do more than a 100% wc and leave everything else alone? Because of the way I did add water to the 29g, do I even need to worry about flukes in there or just the bad bacteria that I need to get rid of?

Thanx for all your help and advice. If I have you completely confused and combobulated, I'm sorry. I have been told I get confusing sometimes.

I think the key question (as far as flukes are concerned) is how long the 29 gallon tank will be unoccupied. Parasites require a host in order to live and reproduce. If there is no host (fish) in the tank then any flukes that are in there will eventually die. I am not sure exactly how long thing would take, but I would think the time it will take to do a fishless cycle on the 29 gallon would be more than enough.

Now any bacteria that might have gotten going in the 29 gallon while it was sitting stagnant is another story. One time I left an empty tank (no fish, but gravel and decorations) for about a week without any filter or aeration on it. When I went to clean it out I was totally grossed out by the rotten egg odor and slime that was in there. I think that the gravel would be the place that those buggers would mostly hang out. Rather than baking the gravel in the sun, I would recommend that you stick it in a large pot and keep it at a rolling boil on the stove for a half hour or so. Other items (the tank itself and plastic plants) could be wiped/soaked with vinegar (if you are wanting to completely avoid bleach).

I am glad that Fishy is happy. :)

I saved this from a previous question that Trinket posted an answer to. It's pretty darn thorough and informative, which is why I saved it aside.

"Do bacteria and viruses die out when you do a water change? Was the question. And I'll throw in parasites for the record..

Let's talk about viruses first.

Viruses are the tiniest organisms. Technically they are so tiny as not even to be called alive. They are just pieces of DNA or RNA (never both)contained in a capsid that looks like one single cell. Since they don't have all the cells of their own to make up their 'person' they go around looking for a host= a group of other cells to latch on to (does this sound like anyone you know, sounds familiar to me ).

They cannot reproduce without a host so are low threat OFF the fish. Viruses can only attach to weak fish. So viruses are really a very low threat in water with no fish or water where the fish are all strong and healthy. Virus cells are cleared very well with a good gravel vac and a complete water change. They don't hang around long or live long without a host

Bacteria up next.

Bacteria fall into 2 main groups. The big baddies the obligates and the less dangerous the opportunes. Think of them like two gangs. The first gang -the obligates are much more virulent and lethal (guns, bombs, the works) and we need often to use meds to kill them off. These bacteria do grow out of nowhere so to speak but MOST often are brought in via new fish or in plants etc.

The second gang the opportunes are in the water all the time! But all fish have immune systems that can very easily fight these milder bacs off. Feeding your fish lots of good foods wil help them fight these ones off. These bacteria grow in old water. They reproduce by doubling so the production rate is very high and very fast. Water changes are the best way to get rid of this gang and every montha 100% change will get rid of them completely !!!!

Parasites

Generally speaking parsites need a host too. The living forms do not live long in water with no host like a fish or snail because they FEED on live forms.

We can reduce numbers via water changes but our best protection is to try not to bring these into our tank (via new fish etc) in the first place and as a protective measure treat all fish with salt and prazi in QT.

So to sum up, most threats are well cleared with a good 100% water change YES!!"

Edited by lynda441

Trinket is spot on. There ARE some parasites, however, that can survive for VERY long times without a host - mostly in a pre-adult form - encysted or some such form in the bottom of your tank. These parasites could almost be placed in the same category of "opportunisitic" parasites. Many ponds and some tanks/tubs can have a large population of such parasites that may or may not be seen bothering the fish much if at all. They lay in wait until the time when the water conditions slip, a fish is stressed or otherwish has lowered immunities, a new fish is introduced, etc.

Flukes can, potentially, do this, too. Several generations of flukes can live withing the dead body of the mother fluke. Kill the mother fluke and the offspring can remain alive for quite a time. Even within the bodies of the offspring are offspring waiting to attack your fish.

Boiling your gravel and any other piece of eqiupment that you wish to sterilize is the ideal alternative to bleach/pp. A rolling boil for 10 minutes is enough to sterilize completely. Adding in a bit of salt will speed the process. You can also pressure cook the parts for a shorter time (I have a pressure cooker that is dedicated to fish equipment).

There are also a few types of bacteria that can remain alive and capable of "resurrecting" themselves even after being dried for months. It is usually advisable that if you have had a particularly virilant bacterial attack in a tank, or if you starting up a used tank in which you do not know the healthy history, that you bleach or pp that tank. The bleach or the pp will find its way into the crooks and crannies of the sealant - the most common place where nasties hide.

IT is always wise to dip your syphon tube after every use. Hydrogen peroxide is an alternative to bleach if you wish. I keep a 5 gallon bucket of 1:10 bleach:water in the utility room. All equipment is dumped into the bucket after use for at least 10 minutes and then hung to dry between uses.

Proper use of a strong enough PRazi should be sufficiant to erradicate flukes. The main problem is that some forms of the PRazi are less than..... and you must get it into every nook and cranny - difficult to do in gravel. Gravel REALLY needs a boil.

Trinket is spot on. There ARE some parasites, however, that can survive for VERY long times without a host - mostly in a pre-adult form - encysted or some such form in the bottom of your tank. These parasites could almost be placed in the same category of "opportunisitic" parasites. Many ponds and some tanks/tubs can have a large population of such parasites that may or may not be seen bothering the fish much if at all. They lay in wait until the time when the water conditions slip, a fish is stressed or otherwish has lowered immunities, a new fish is introduced, etc.

Flukes can, potentially, do this, too. Several generations of flukes can live withing the dead body of the mother fluke. Kill the mother fluke and the offspring can remain alive for quite a time. Even within the bodies of the offspring are offspring waiting to attack your fish.

Boiling your gravel and any other piece of eqiupment that you wish to sterilize is the ideal alternative to bleach/pp. A rolling boil for 10 minutes is enough to sterilize completely. Adding in a bit of salt will speed the process. You can also pressure cook the parts for a shorter time (I have a pressure cooker that is dedicated to fish equipment).

There are also a few types of bacteria that can remain alive and capable of "resurrecting" themselves even after being dried for months. It is usually advisable that if you have had a particularly virilant bacterial attack in a tank, or if you starting up a used tank in which you do not know the healthy history, that you bleach or pp that tank. The bleach or the pp will find its way into the crooks and crannies of the sealant - the most common place where nasties hide.

IT is always wise to dip your syphon tube after every use. Hydrogen peroxide is an alternative to bleach if you wish. I keep a 5 gallon bucket of 1:10 bleach:water in the utility room. All equipment is dumped into the bucket after use for at least 10 minutes and then hung to dry between uses.

Proper use of a strong enough PRazi should be sufficiant to erradicate flukes. The main problem is that some forms of the PRazi are less than..... and you must get it into every nook and cranny - difficult to do in gravel. Gravel REALLY needs a boil.

Thanx to All. Lynda441, I had to giggle when I saw your post. I followed Mac's thread too. :) It just didn't answer 100% of my questions tho, that's why I came here and posted. Daryl did answer what I needed to know so I am going to bombard him with a ton more questions now. Luv ya girlie! You too Acupunk. : :hug ::

Hi Daryl, ~~~<--waving

First off, just so you have the info, Fishy started out with a bad case of flukes, then got fluke tab overdosed, developed a bad bacterial infection and now is almost healthy, just getting rid of the flukes finally.

The tank and filter is brand new,(filter still is. never been turned on) but the water gravel and plants I threw in are not. They came from Fishy's 12g and are all over 4 years old, some as old as 15 years. I use Prazi Pro from GFC, aquarium salt, two water conditioners, and I have high PH water. The water tends to stay between 80 and 82 degrees during the summer, and 70 to 72 in the winter. I do not use a heater tho I have one available.

The syphon tube I have is 4 years old, and I have never rinsed it in bleach or anything else. Should I take it apart before soaking it the first time to be sure? I recently purchased a used Phython. Even tho I know the person I got it from is knowledgable about GF, it did arrive with a well used look. I don't know how long fluke eggs can survive dry and seeing that in nature, there are fish and frog eggs that can survive for years during droughts and then hatch during a heavy rainy season, I took it semi apart and soaked it in 10 gallons of water and 1 TBsp. of the prazi pro for the last 3 days outside. Today I rinsed it off and it was pretty slimey. Is that normal? Good? Bad? Should I take it 100% apart and bleach or peroxide that too?

Will the plastic plants be okay if I toss them in to bleach too?

What about the tank? Besides the rocks and plants (which soaked for 12 hours in a 1 TBsp prazi to 2 gal water, stirred often throughout the day then drained and rinsed before putting them in the 29g tank and adding in the new prazi water from the 12g.) nothing else but the prazi water was added as stated in the first post. What should be done with the tank? Should I be worried? It's too heavy for me to take the 29g outside, and I simply cannot handle the smell of bleach because it rips my lungs up. A mild bleach solution I can handle, but not a heavy one. I do have disposable gloves made for chemicals, so I don't have to worry about my hands. Would a peroxide mix work better in this case? Spray and wipe with paper towels?

I'm going to go ahead and boil the gravel. I have a 6 quart shiny (no nonstick surface) pot I can use as long as I can use it for cooking again afterwords. It's a piece from my Wolfgang collection and I as much as I love Fishy.... I also have an old pot I don't care too much about. ::chuckle:: I use it to soak my feet in so I don't know if that should be used either tho. I'll find something if the pot is not usable for humans afterwords. Can a pot with nonstick surface be used?

::sigh:: Trust me, I was (up to about 3 weeks ago) an ignorant GF owner. Matter of fact, even tho I've had Fishy for 10 years, HE is the survivor. I won't get into it all again, but if you want to see exactly how strong Fishy's desire to live is... here is a link to my other thread. Caution - so far it's 11 pages long. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=70093

My thanx, again to everyone. ::blowing all of you kisses::

Thanx to All. Lynda441, I had to giggle when I saw your post. I followed Mac's thread too. :) It just didn't answer 100% of my questions tho, that's why I came here and posted. Daryl did answer what I needed to know so I am going to bombard him with a ton more questions now. Luv ya girlie! You too Acupunk. : :hug ::

Hi Daryl, ~~~<--waving

First off, just so you have the info, Fishy started out with a bad case of flukes, then got fluke tab overdosed, developed a bad bacterial infection and now is almost healthy, just getting rid of the flukes finally.

The tank and filter is brand new,(filter still is. never been turned on) but the water gravel and plants I threw in are not. They came from Fishy's 12g and are all over 4 years old, some as old as 15 years. I use Prazi Pro from GFC, aquarium salt, two water conditioners, and I have high PH water. The water tends to stay between 80 and 82 degrees during the summer, and 70 to 72 in the winter. I do not use a heater tho I have one available.

The syphon tube I have is 4 years old, and I have never rinsed it in bleach or anything else. Should I take it apart before soaking it the first time to be sure? I recently purchased a used Phython. Even tho I know the person I got it from is knowledgable about GF, it did arrive with a well used look. I don't know how long fluke eggs can survive dry and seeing that in nature, there are fish and frog eggs that can survive for years during droughts and then hatch during a heavy rainy season, I took it semi apart and soaked it in 10 gallons of water and 1 TBsp. of the prazi pro for the last 3 days outside. Today I rinsed it off and it was pretty slimey. Is that normal? Good? Bad? Should I take it 100% apart and bleach or peroxide that too?

What about the tank? Besides the rocks and plants (which soaked for 12 hours in a 1 TBsp prazi to 2 gal water, stirred often throughout the day then drained and rinsed before putting them in the 29g tank and adding in the new prazi water from the 12g.) nothing else but the prazi water was added as stated in the first post. What should be done with the tank? Should I be worried? It's too heavy for me to take the 29g outside, and I simply cannot handle the smell of bleach because it rips my lungs up. A mild bleach solution I can handle, but not a heavy one. I do have disposable gloves made for chemicals, so I don't have to worry about my hands. Would a peroxide mix work better in this case? Spray and wipe with paper towels?

I'm going to go ahead and boil the gravel. I have a 6 quart shiny (no nonstick surface) pot I can use as long as I can use it for cooking again afterwords. It's a piece from my Wolfgang collection and I as much as I love Fishy.... I also have an old pot I don't care too much about. ::chuckle:: I use it to soak my feet in so I don't know if that should be used either tho. I'll find something if the pot is not usable for humans afterwords. Can a pot with nonstick surface be used?

::sigh:: Trust me, I was (up to about 3 weeks ago) an ignorant GF owner. Matter of fact, even tho I've had Fishy for 10 years, HE is the survivor. I won't get into it all again, but if you want to see exactly how strong Fishy's desire to live is... here is a link to my other thread. Caution - so far it's 11 pages long. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=70093

Ooops, I mean her. I'm going to bombard her with questions. Sorry Daryl.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daryl, ~~~<--waving

Ooops, I mean her. I'm going to bombard her with questions. Sorry Daryl.

::knocking gently on Daryl's door. "Daryl? I really, REALLY am sorry I called you a him. I'll NEVER do it again. I promise. Please forgive me. I could really use your advice and know how. Daryl?" Slowly she turns and walks away, hoping that Daryl will find her apology enough to forgive her for her horrible mistake. Knowing that she broke the #1 rule in a woman's notebook: Never call a she a he. It's an insult to the female sensabilities.:: j/k

Just to bring you up to date.

I washed out the 29g with a 4 part water to 1 part bleach solution. I then filled the tank with undeclored water, leaving the cup or so bleach solution in the tank. I started the filter with only the green mesh thingy in the hob. I let it run until I could not smell the bleach anymore and then added the declores: NovAqua and Amquel+. At this point in time, nothing else has been done to the tank. SHould I still be worried about not getting all the baddies from this tank?

The python: So far, I tore it down 100% and it has gone through 2 bleach soaks. Each time, leaving them outside in the sunlight to soak until all bleach smell has gone. There is still some debris showing in the 25ft. tube that I can not rinse out or bleach out. Would PP work on this?

I am going to have to order it online because I can not find it anywhere around me. (Thinking of PMing Lynda and see if she has any I could have.)

The rocks and plant questions are still the same. The only diff is, Is there a way to clean a aluminum pot, that I use to soak my feet in, well enough that I can turn it into a rock boiling/aquarium use only pot?

Thanx

:rolleyes:;)

No worries. I am not offended at all. I have been doing more than 3 full time jobs recently - and running so fast I am meeting my shadow! We are building a pole barn, harvesting the alfalfa, taking care of a FIL that has a broken hip, another FIL that is in the hospital, a newborn grandson with heart surgery, as well as all the normal work related to life! I am also grooming fish for show.

Whew.

ANYWAY..... if you have a Sears Hardware - or that type of store around - one that sells filters and stuff for filtering a house hold water supply - a water softener and such..... you should be able to find PP crystals there for REALLY cheap. I found a bottle of them there for $5... and it is enough to last me until I am at least 200 years old. Take a look. They are a common thing in that type of department of a hardware store.

As far as cleaning out the tank, yes, m'am, I think you can probably count your tank as clean.

AS far as the aluminium pot - just wash it up nicely and rinse it really well so there is no soap residue left. The boiling will clear out any residual biological matter - as well as sterilze your rocks. Your plastic plants can be bleached - do not leave them in longer than 10 minutes or so, or they will become lighter in color. I usually blast mine - and simply replace them every few years. If you have glued rocks and such to the bottoms of the plastic plants with silicon stickum the rocks may come loose after about the 5th chlorine blast. I just glue 'em back on.

Go for it. Your tank is ready to go!!!!

:)

***She runs off to pull the bread from the oven***

:rolleyes:;)

No worries. I am not offended at all. I have been doing more than 3 full time jobs recently - and running so fast I am meeting my shadow! We are building a pole barn, harvesting the alfalfa, taking care of a FIL that has a broken hip, another FIL that is in the hospital, a newborn grandson with heart surgery, as well as all the normal work related to life! I am also grooming fish for show.

Whew.

ANYWAY..... if you have a Sears Hardware - or that type of store around - one that sells filters and stuff for filtering a house hold water supply - a water softener and such..... you should be able to find PP crystals there for REALLY cheap. I found a bottle of them there for $5... and it is enough to last me until I am at least 200 years old. Take a look. They are a common thing in that type of department of a hardware store.

As far as cleaning out the tank, yes, m'am, I think you can probably count your tank as clean.

AS far as the aluminium pot - just wash it up nicely and rinse it really well so there is no soap residue left. The boiling will clear out any residual biological matter - as well as sterilze your rocks. Your plastic plants can be bleached - do not leave them in longer than 10 minutes or so, or they will become lighter in color. I usually blast mine - and simply replace them every few years. If you have glued rocks and such to the bottoms of the plastic plants with silicon stickum the rocks may come loose after about the 5th chlorine blast. I just glue 'em back on.

Go for it. Your tank is ready to go!!!!

***She runs off to pull the bread from the oven***

I checked Sears, SAce, SHome Depot, SLowes, and SKmart. ;) I called several water filter treatment companies and none have ever heard of PP before. Maybe I am not pronouncing it correctly or something... I don't know. No one around me has PP unfortuneately, so I have to go online to seek it out.

What about the python question? It was - The python: So far, I tore it down 100% and it has gone through 2 bleach soaks. Each time, leaving them outside in the sunlight to soak until all bleach smell has gone. There is still some debris showing in the 25ft. tube that I can not rinse out or bleach out. Would PP work on this?

Adding to that question is this reason. I want to use the 25ft hose as a fill as well as an empty. Is that an idea that is okay?

I understand not having enough time in the day to get what you have to get done, adding to that your adoring fans clammering for your attention... well, let's just say, I'm glad I'm not you. :D Take care. ~~~

Potassium Permanganate = PP

It is cheaply sold in crystaline form. I have not looked recently, but I suppose it is possible that it is not readily available anymore. It does have some interesting side- uses......

I also hear that not all Sears have it. My big SEars store does not. The Sears Hardware - a smaller version of the store that ONLY carries hardware and tools, does as does the repair center....

There are some forms that are sold already premixed in liquid form in some fish stores - Pet S m a r t used to have tiny bottles of this. IT is not worth much in my opinion - one of the wonders of PP is the cheapness of the treatment! But if you only need a little now and then, it might be a solution for you.

It may be difficult to get it shipped. Because it can be flamable and such, it is not legal to ship it by common carrier.

Potassium Permanganate = PP

It is cheaply sold in crystaline form. I have not looked recently, but I suppose it is possible that it is not readily available anymore. It does have some interesting side- uses......

I also hear that not all Sears have it. My big SEars store does not. The Sears Hardware - a smaller version of the store that ONLY carries hardware and tools, does as does the repair center....

There are some forms that are sold already premixed in liquid form in some fish stores - Pet S m a r t used to have tiny bottles of this. IT is not worth much in my opinion - one of the wonders of PP is the cheapness of the treatment! But if you only need a little now and then, it might be a solution for you.

It may be difficult to get it shipped. Because it can be flamable and such, it is not legal to ship it by common carrier.

No wonder nobody had it. I was pronouncing it potassium pomagranite, like the fruit. LOLOL Once I pronounced it right, I found a koi house 20 miles away that can order it for me. 1lb for $20. No one else I called has it or will order for me. ::sigh:: At least I'll be picking up a lb next tuesday.

That will be enough PP to keep you happy and purple for about 100 years!!! :rolleyes::yeah:

That sounds like about what I bought at the Sears. I am glad you found it. I have found SO many uses for PP - from disinfecting tank equipment to whole ponds to packing wounds to bathing fish... it is GREAT.

I checked Sears, SAce, SHome Depot, SLowes, and SKmart. ;) I called several water filter treatment companies and none have ever heard of PP before. Maybe I am not pronouncing it correctly or something... I don't know. No one around me has PP unfortuneately, so I have to go online to seek it out.

I found PP online at Lowes. Now, I think we know that what you find online may not always be carried by an actual, physical store, but if you asked a clerk to help you, well, PP may not be something that is really understood, so they may not have just known what you wanted or that they carry it. One use is to recharge refrigerator filters, so it may be there and they just don't know it.

Lowes - PP

hmm.... well, in doing more investigation, I don't seem to find that any physical Lowes store carries this.... why advertise it if you don't carry it... whatever..

Edited by lynda441

That will be enough PP to keep you happy and purple for about 100 years!!! :rolleyes::yeah:

That sounds like about what I bought at the Sears. I am glad you found it. I have found SO many uses for PP - from disinfecting tank equipment to whole ponds to packing wounds to bathing fish... it is GREAT.

You think it would work cleaning the jacuzzi? LOL

You could, actually, use it to blow through the jets and clean all the bacteria out of the workings of the pumps and jets. Dump it afterwards - and add hp to clear it. Then scrub the tub down and you are good to go!!!

I really like PP.