Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? <5

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.0 Ph, 100ish GH

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? I think ~7.0 Ph, almost 0 GH

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 9 gal, 4 weeks

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear 20

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? haven't had to yet

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, about 1 inch, maybe a little less

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel+, coral, .2% salt

[*]Any medications added to the tank? prazi

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? yes, 3 days ago

[*]What do you feed your fish? tetrafin fish flakes

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? occasional bottom sitting, flashed once

My tank finished cycling, so I decided it was finally time for a new fish. I brought home a little blue/white/yellow oranda 3 days ago. He adjusted quickly and seemed fine, searching for food. He ate whenever I fed him, but he occasionally hid in the corner behind my plastic plants. I figured he was just adjusting, but twice today he sat there leaning slightly to the side, looking dead except for his mouth barely moving to breathe. When I got his attention, both times he started swimming and scavenging, and he's fine at the moment. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but this is exactly what Ace did before he suddenly got worse and died, and I never figured out what caused it. I saw him flash once yesterday, shortly after I increased the salt from .1% to .2%. Could he not like the salt? I'm a little afraid to put more salt in the tank until I know what's going on. If it's useful, I got him at That Fish Place in Lancaster.

Well, it sounds like you're not doing anything wrong, you've done a great job so far it sounds like. But he could've come with something already from the store. Are you still doing daily tests? Are the readings you posted current as of the post? He may just have a very stresful case of flukes, and it sound like he does if he's flashing so the prazi will take care of that. Salt is very gentle and I don't see how such a moderate dose could affect him negatively. Mostly, I just wanted to pop in and lend my support and let you know that someone more experienced should be on sometime soon and help you out!

Thanks Lynda. He's looking better, not moping as often. Or at least, when he does he still looks alive. Hopefully he was just still a little stressed. Yes, I got those results right before I posted. My nitrite spiked a bit when I put him in on Monday, up to .25, but I put in extra Amquel+ and it was gone in a day. I hope he's ok, I don't think I could handle losing another fish.

You're very welcome. I didn't do much, but if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to post it. Make sure, though, that you use this same thread as seeing the history will make it easier for the next person to understand the entire situation. Keep in touch with your baby's progress!

He seems to be better. I don't know what was up with him, but he seems to have stopped. At least whenever I'm around, anyway. He already figured out the feeding routine and plays in the filter current like it's an exercise pool, so I'll just watch him for a few days. If he stays active, I'll guess was it probably just shock/stress/new tank syndrome.

I love to watch 'em when they play in the current and bubbles.... it's so cute! I love the idea of that simple, innocent, childlike joy of getting happiness from the littlest thing.... Glad he's feeling better! Keep in touch and don't hesitate if you have any other problems or questions. Oh, and don't think you're gonna get off without posting pictures! That's our favorite thing around here! We live vicariously through others! We can only have so many gf so we love to share in the "I got a new goldfish" experience through someone else!

Haha, yeah, he's a cutie. Curious about everything. I tried taking pics, but the camera wouldn't focus on him. I'll try again, but if that doesn't work I'll have to borrow a better camera or something. Don't worry, they'll be up eventually.