Marycin 2 ( Spelling? )

This is the first time I have used maracyn 2 ( not sure about that spelling). I am really good about doing water changes but noticed on my last water change that Jade ( my calico pearscale has horrible fin and tail rot ( it was not there at the previous water change). I tried salt and melafix for a week with no results. I picked up some Maracyn 2 yesterday and some jungle medicated antibacterial food. I gave her first dose of maracyn last night. She does not seem to like the medicated antibacterial food however, she takes it into her mouth and then spits it right back out. She usually eats omega flakes so I thought that might be the problem but she does eat softened shrimp pellets with no problem.

The Maracyn 2 should work well for fin rot. Because it is an antibiotic medication, it is imperitive that you complete the entire dosage schedule -even if the fish does look better. Maracyn 2 is given for 5 days in a row.......

Do not be afraid if your water appears to be a bit brownish or orangish.... and has bubbles at the surface when you use a bubble wand. That is from the medication.

Thanks Daryl. I am gonna complete the whole course. I even bought the medicated food but she will not eat it and I had to start feeding her omega one flakes again. I am going to return the medicated food tonight but keep up the med. I have been dosing everyday with the med. It has not changed the water colors yet. I was thinking of getting a another pack of the med and doing an extra 5 more days of the maracyn2 . THanks for your help Daryl. I am even thinking about starting to use spring water for her water changes. I use prime, but I am wondering if my water is got too much rust in it. I live in a building from the 1920s with old pipes. you can taste the rust in the water, I do not even drink it myself but drink spring water and cook with spring water instead. I just bathe and do dishes in the tap water. I have been using tap water treated with prime to do her water changes.

update on Jade. I did the full course of marycin 2 and did not see an improvement in her fins or tail but it did stop the progression of the rot, however she has all these black spots on her tail and fins. I did some praying and put her on plain marycin which is good for body fungus , which is what I believe the black and dark gray almost black dots are . She is doing less bottom sitting and seems a little more active. He appetititte has not improved yet. She seems to not be eating much or at all. the spotted catfish her tank mate seems totally uneffected by it all and is perfectly healthy. Since I finished the course of maracyn 2 I want to to do a water change but think I may have to wait till after the course of maracyn

Also she has been pooping transparent poop. Does she possibly have parasites too? If I do a complete water change can I use the maracyn and parasite med together?

Im glad she is doing better now- that's great news. The black spots could have been a reaction to the meds, it happens with some fish but should go back to normal color in good water :)

Keep in mind that the medication will kill off the active bad bacteria that are causing the infection and fin deterioration, but it will not HEAL the fins. That takes time. Once the nasty bacteria has been removed, the fish's tissues are free to heal themselves, given good water and no further attacks by opportunistic bacteria/fungus/parasites.

You may or may not be seeing another layer of problems, but I have found that in most cases it is far better to take it step by step, solving each one as it is diagnosed rather than blasting away with a wide range of medications and treatments all in one blow.

The black spots could have been damaged tissue - or healing tissue - or whatever. I would hazard a guess that if the catfish in the same tank is not showing ANY spots, that the spots are probably not a parasite. Most parasites that cause problems that are big enough to see with the naked eye are also virilant enough that you would see similar problems on the other fish in the tank.

Any time you feed or treat with an antibiotic food/treatment, you kill off bacteria in the tank. The various types (gram positive and gram negative) are affected differently by the different medications, but nearly every single treatment also will affect the beneficial bacteria that populate a fish's digestive system. IT takes a bit of time to repopulate the fish's gut with the good bacteria he needs for proper digestion. It is not unusual, because of this, for a fish to have less than normal poop for a while following an antibacterial treatment - bath or food.

I hope your fish continues to improve. :)

Thanks Daryl . I figured it will take a while for her fins and tail to grow back. I have had tail rot in bettas before but they improved with salt and melafix. this is the first time I had to use meds. It may be my tap water as mentioned, it is heavy with rust. I have been using prime, but also have some start right too I can use but I may use or go the spring water route awhile. Do I need to put some bacteria starter in now that the tank has gone through antibioitic meds?

The only time I have ever had Maracyn I or II or combo even bother a cycle is when the beneficial bacteria that make up the cycle were BRAND new - a new baby cycle. IF you have had an established tank with a solid cycle for your fish - balanced and doing well for at least a month - you should have no problems. The cycle should be solid. Typically, Maracyn I and II do not affect the beneficial bacteria of the cycle.

My water has soooo much iron in it that, in volume, the water looks "green". Iron keeps those blacks black! Rust, itself, can be mechanically filtered out. I would not worry about it. Be careful of spring water - you may dramatically change pH - or have very low kH, etc. That is not only a big shock to the fish to be changed that much (and back again if you do), but you need to know the full chemistry of any water you get. RO, distilled or DI water is devoid of many of the nutrients the fish NEED to thrive, so be aware of those, too.

:)

Thank Daryl for your kind advice. I can't wait to change her water. I only have one more dose of maracyn to give her tomorrow. It makes the water so hazy but it works. Thanks for the advice on the water. I think I am gonna stick with the tap water treated with prime. Prime is some good stuff.

I finally got to change the water after Jade's maracyn and maracyn two treatment. I put some salt in the water and am praying for the best. She has a lot of black along the areas she had tail rot and fin rot, However those might be areas she is healing.

I could not figure why Jade had gotten fin and tail rot so quickly then I went to Pets*mart the other day and was speaking to someone in the aquatic department and she reminded me of someothing I had not thougt about. She mentioned since we had flooding here- the Missisippi river here flooded- that they had been adding extra chemicals to the water supply to make it safer and probably not taken others out that might have affected the water for the fish.

I am sorry to say that Jade died last night. She had not been eating and been doing a lot of bottom sitting despite her tail and fin rot stopping a possible healing taking place. She was swimming around some Sunday. I had done a complete round of Maracyn 2 and of Maracyn and she was doing better. I did a complete water change on Thursday and added salt. I was getting ready to do another water change last night and noticed her having what I thought was swim bladder isssues ( letting the current push her around and not trying to swim or use her tail like she had been). I quickly put her in a Beanie box with some water so I could rush her up to Pets*mart which is only a couple blocks from my apartment to see if she had swim bladder and recommendations on ideas on treatment. Their is a guy that works there that actually knows a lot about saltwater and freshwater fish. Jade breathed her last breath and passed away on the counter in the container as we were dicusssing what treatment to give her. Since she is so plump and round from being a pearlscale I did not notice that she had a tumor. He pointed it out to me. He said from the placement of the tumor that he believed that is what killed her . He believes because of where the tumor was located that in a certain area that the black I was seeing on her tail and part of her fins was actually cutting off the blood supply to her tail and causing it to necrose ( die and turn black-kinda like gangrene) He also asked me what I was feeding her and I told him omega one flakes. But she also gobbled down the shrimp pellets I would put in there for the catfish. He said gold fish should not have a diet of over 40 % protein and that it tended to increase the risk for tumors if they are fed too much protien. He mentioned not feeding a goldfish anything over 40 % protein and added I should be feeding romaine lettuce, and oranges too with other veggies. So I was able to find the omega one veggie rounds with sprinella, kelp etc. They are good for the other pearscale I have and the catfish likes them too. I am still plannning on upgrading to a 10 gallon next month. The other pearscale I have is only about the size of a walnut ( not including the tail- cute little thing that she is)