Red Spot On New Fish

Imber

I hate to keep posting about the same fish and bugging you guys but just when I thought things were going well with my new fish, I found something disturbing on him. Here's the basics:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? .25-.5 I just did a 50% water change and I have 1ppm out of the tap so this isn't surprising

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20(I have 10ppm out of the tap)

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 8.2-8.4

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.8

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) api drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20g 2 weeks with already cycled filter media

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? penguin 170

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 2-3 times a week 1/3-1/2 at a time except for the 100% change last week when I took out the salt and added epsom salt

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 new guy in quarantine - very tiny about an inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]Any medications added to the tank? 1 dose of epsom salt 2 weeks ago and didn't repeat after he got better

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish? I've been feeding metro meds for original problems

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? 1 small blood spot and some streaks in the tail

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? eating like a pig and swimming like a spaz - we've actually been calling him spaz

the only time he sits at the bottom is when he's chewing or when i turn the light on to inspect him

Here's the first topic that I made about this guy. His scales went down within a day or two of starting treatment which consisted of feeding metromeds, raising temp to 82 and adding 1/2 tsp of epsom salt. Tomorrow will be day the 2 week mark for the mmeds. There are no sharp objects in the tank just the filter intake, a bubblestone, a tiny glass pot and the heater. I've been feeding the metromeds so if it's septicemia I really don't know what to do because he's already on the antibiotics. I'm really worried and am looking forward to your advice because I'm at a loss for what to do now - if I should do anything. Thanks so much for reading!

spot1.jpg

spot2.jpg

spot3.jpg

Don't ever feel like you should ask questions! It's how you learn and we love to help. It may have been helpful to continue from your original thread so we had the history, but you put the link, so that will help.

This one is above my knowledge level as you have a complicated situation with your water naturally having nitrates and high ph. I'm gonna hang out on this one because it will be an interesting learning experience, but I just wanted to stop by and lend my support.

It's definitely septicemia and it could be from simple stress to something internal that didn't get resolved and because of the water issues and prior problems, but, like I said, this is a complicated situation that's beyond my expertise.

One thing that interests me though is "swimming like a spaz." With the last two fish I've had, they swam like a "spaz" as well. I just thought they were energetic and zippy. The first one ended up getting a massive infestation of ich and died before I could treat the problem. So, I got a new fish and at the very moment it started zipping back and forth in the tank, I jumped on it immediately and got a prazi treatment going. Within a few days that fish slowed down, stopped zipping back and forth across the tank and is now acting like a "normal" goldfish. So, that zipping could be from a parasite infestation. If it isn't as visible as ich is, it could be flukes, which virtually all fish have. I hate seeing this fish have to go through more meds, although prazi really isn't that stressful, and I'm not advising that at this time, but did you treat with prazi for flukes? If he had flukes or other parasite, that could stress him to the point of septicemia.... my thoughts only. Certainly not the more knowledgeable advice of someone like Trinket or Acupunk. They should be on this afternoon/evening and may be able to shed more light then.

Edited by lynda441

Thanks so much for your reply and support :) I have prazipro but I haven't used it yet. My original plan was to use it and salt for the quarantine period, but when the dropsy issue popped up I postponed treating with prazi. I've never used it before and I was a little scared even though I know everybody says it's really gentle. I got the last bottle at the store and couldn't find any expiration date and it wasn't factory sealed(I figured that was normal though since I've gotten other fish meds that didn't have a seal) and it smells funny which is probably normal too I was just a little nervous about using it. I've used parasite clear before and now that I think about it, it smells similar to the prazi but less strong so it's probably just normal. I'm mulling over downgrading his tank to a 10 gallon so that I can set it up on top of a counter and vacuum to change the water(the 20g is on the floor now and doesn't fit on my counter).

I wish I had a camcorder so that I could film how he acts when I'm not in the room with him. I mostly just go in that room to peek at him or to feed him so as soon as he notices that the door is opening he gets spazzy, but before he notices me he seems more subdued and normal. He just goes nuts and starts searching all over the tank for food when I go in there. If I had him on the counter he'd be more used to people and stuff going on so that would probably give me more of an insight to his normal behavior.

I do wish my water was better, but I don't really know what else I can do about it that wouldn't make things worse. The good thing is that my ph is rock solid(pun intended har har har) and I don't have to worry about a crash. I've read of other countries with tap nitrates much higher so I try to look at it as things could always be worse. My lfs doesn't alter their ph so I know that my fish come from the same ph there, but it was shipment day when I bought him so I don't know what sort of ph/temp he came from before he arrived at the store.

Edited by Imber

Well, high nitrates can cause a ph crash, but 20 isn't that high.

Prazi and salt are never bad things to do and are pretty standard suggestions for a new fish, but, I'm not clear whether there would be interactions or at least interfere if you still have epsom salt and, yeah, you can take out the epsom salt, but you would only want to do that if you felt like the dropsy issue has been resolved.

Do you have a bare bottom? That will help immensely in treating for parasites.

The "spazzing," especially if not regular, could be a reaction from footsteps on the floor. I mean, something like that would be akin to someone pounding on your walls. That would make you jump too. And, it could just be because he's always alone and gets excited when someone comes to visit him. You should take some time to just sit there and watch him to see if he does this without people walking on the floor next to where the tank is.

But, treating for flukes pretty much still should be done regardless. It's just going to be a matter of when pursuant to what a more knowledgeable person advises.

The red spot on the side seems to have resolved itself with just the 50% water change and salting up to .1%. I haven't moved spaz to the smaller tank, but I probably will today or tomorrow. To answer Lynda - the tank is bare bottom and very basic. I try to keep it as simple as possible for quarantine tanks. I'm pretty sure his excitement is just from getting a visitor because I've watched him a few times without him realizing it and he just putts around checking stuff out. I also sat and watched him for about 10 minutes and didn't see him rub or yawn. I'm still going to do a salt and prazi treatment just in case. I'm going slow with the salt in case he has a sensitivity.

Thanks so much for the help you guys and Carolinedoodle I wish you the best for your fish!