Basic Tank Related Question

Guest valdeez65

Guest valdeez65

Hi everyone! I've been doing a lot of reading here and finally decided to post a question. I have a 25 gallon tank with a lionhead and a ryukin in it and had a question about the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. My readings are great, but based on what i have heard here i was expecting my nitrate readings to continue to go up. I try to keep to weakly small water changes and am pretty good at actually doing them, but every time I have checked for nitrates, the reading is steady. Is the reading supposed to go up?

Do you have any algae or plants in the tanks? Because they consume nitrate. Given that your tank is hardly overstocked (what size are your goldies? give or take half an inch :) ), it may be that they are able to keep the nitrate levels, erm ... level. Whatever you do though, don't decide to stop doing the water changes: it's also possible that there is a slight increase, but that it's really slow, so that your water changes compensate whatever nitrate the algae/plants aren't able to consume. And of course there is other waste that any algae or plants wouldn't be able to cope with.

What are your water test readings, how long have you had your tank, how often do you change the water and how much do you change? And yes, also whether you have plants in your tank. Getting some more specific information will help us give you an answer. Oh, and :welcome

Guest valdeez65

As of my last reading (Saturday) i had 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 8 nitrate. I'm using a drop test kit to test. My PH is steady around 7.6. I do have a few plants in there, 2 Anubas and 1 Amazon Sword. My fish are each around 4.5 inches give or take. I have had my tank setup for about 4 months. I try to do weekly water changes but they usually end up being every two weeks. When i do them i change 8 gallons of water each time. Sometimes 12 depending on how my arms are feeling after lugging a few buckets :) . Is this even a problem? I just know that a lot of people mention that thier nitrates are in the 40's or 50's...

It's reccommended that you keep your nitrates at 20 or under, so if you can keep yours at 8 with what you're doing, I would say keep doing it he same way! :thumb: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", as they say.

Edited by Petperson04

It's reccommended that you keep your nitrates at 20 or under, so if you can keep yours at 8 with what you're doing, I would say keep doing it he same way! :thumb: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", as they say.

I agree. You don't want your nitrates to go up. Keeping them that low is great! Weekly water changes are best and although you only have two goldies in a 25 gallon tank, they are getting on the bigger side and the bigger they get, you'll definitely want to stick with weekly changes, but because you're only doing bi-weekly water changes, it's a very real possibility that your plants are playing a big part in maintaining the nitrate level.

Guest valdeez65

With the system I have in place, do you think i would be able to add another small goldfish? (I'm constantly at the fish store talking myself out of picking up another one :ehh )

I just wanted to add that water changes do more than just reduce nitrates. They get rid of other byproducts that you may not have tests to measure, and add new supplies of KH, and vitamins or minerals that may be in the water supply.

So even though your nitrates seem well under control, continuing with water changes is still very important. If the buckets and weight are an issue for you, you may want to consider a python-brand siphon (like here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=3910). It lets you dump water directly into your sink and refill water directly from the tap (add conditioner beforehand) without any heavy lifting. I do not have one, but those who do love it.