Green Algae Going Nuts In My Tank!

Guest theerer3

Guest theerer3

Background:

72 gallon

Near perfect water quality for 4-5 months.

Had .3% salt treatment about a month ago when all fish got ich. All survived, water was slowly replaced from vacc'in to not have any salt.

Initially I only had a little algae which took a few weeks to really get bad at all (brwn algae) and I'd just wipe it off - had crystal clear water.

Within the last week or 10 days, the water went crazy cloudy on me - I didn't do anything different. It looked slightly brownish and I couldn't really tell so I put the natural light on it and read a post to put light on a tank to get good, healthy green algae to grow -then it blew up to look like pea soup! So clearly this somehow became floating algae.

A couple days after this started, I added 3 amazon blade plants (have a big driftwood in there too). I read they compete with the algae for nutrients?

But the plants need light to grow - which in turn kicks the algae into gear. I just want crystal clear water with beautiful plants - is that too hard to ask???

Water quality - 0 amonia, 20 nitrates, 0 nitrite, 7.4-7.6 ph - has been this way for over a month

Water temp - btwn 76-80 (I know this is a little high, but can't get it down with the summer heat)

Current "treatment"

Just changing water and water vacc'ing regularly. Took about 50% of the water out, (30 gallons or so) and put about 10 gallons back in. Keeping the tank about half full so I don't have to do so much water changing until I get it all out. Right now I'm doing about 30% water changes daily. It's clearing up, but I'm not confident it will stay that way.

Can I keep this under control without dropping serious coin on one of those lamps that kills it? I know not to use the treatment as it will kill my plants.

Thanks guys, you're awesome!!!

hmm... i've never really had a horrible problem with floating algae that didn't clear itself up..

i think UV sterilizers are supposed to do wonders for free floating algae though.

however, they are a bit costly. :(

maybe someone will come along with another alternative.

Guest theerer3

anyone with alternatives? i just bought a used sterilizer and i'm an idiot - it didn't come with a bulb...there's one at the pet store for 40 bucks though and includes a pump inside of it.

I read one of the articles about how to brew green water at Raffle's Gold site, they mentioned that keep tank half full of water promotes green water when strong light present. Also, you can increase your BB population to compete the nutrient in the tank, reduce number of hours for lighting for a week or two see what happen.

However, you dont want to see green algae die off massively and quickly, the change will alter your water chemistry in a bad way.

A UV sterilizer is the easiest option, but not cheap. Make sure its powerful & slow enough to kill algae (faster pump = water moves through faster = less exposure = algae survives). If you get a real strong/slow one, it can also kill bacteria and make the water even healthier for the fish. But its an expense to buy and then to run.

Alternately, the manual way is to cut down significantly on the light, keep up regular water changes, and monitor your nitrate and phosphates levels which are what algae feeds off of.

If it turns out your phosphate is high, check your tap and see if that's the source. If not, big water changes are good. If it is coming from the tap, you could consider something like phoszorb which goes in your filter and eliminates phosphate from the water.