Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

New Filter

my package arrived 2 days ago w/ my new filter! :thumbs:

I've heard alot about eheim canister filters so I picked this internal one. http://www.nnnn.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753165

I'm so excited, it's really cool and working great! I know it needs to cycle since it's new, but I don't want to go through that again :tantrum so I left the old filter running as well. Will that make any difference or will my ammonia and nitrate levels rise anyway?

Edited by Martha

I would think that the presence of a cycles filter should accelerate the cycling of the new filter greatly, because (I'd think) the BB would have the chance to migrate/expand from the old filter to the new one (though it might be even better to transplant some of your old filter's content to the new one). The old filter will probably keep on doing away with the waste/bioload, so it depend on how much excess bioload you have: if it's near to non-existent then you new filter's BB might have a hard time settling in, but as you decided to get a new filter I suppose that's not the case. If there is, it might (also in this respect) be useful to transplant a part of your current BB medium to the new filter (and replace it in the old one, and fill up the remainder of the new filter with new medium as well of course).

-edit: Oh, and congrats on the Eheim ;) -

Edited by Erinaceus

thanks erinaceus :)

Edited by Martha

so I've got a newbie question & I've looked all over the forum and couldn't find an answer. what is an air stone? I think it adds oxygen to the water? why do you need one? I think when the water falls from the filter it creates enough oxygen. how do you set one up?? ok, you may laugh, but I bought a pack of air stones @ the store and dropped on in the water & it didn't do anything. so I read the back, duh, and it said something about being attached to a hose. is there a pump or something that you need to buy aswell? I've had my gfish for 3 or 4 months now and he's doing well.

The air stone is connected to a hose that is connected to a small pump-like thing that you plug in, it draws the air from the surroundings and it blows it in the tank through the airstone. There are different types, I have a hydro aerator (sp?) that is completely in the tank, other types have to be above the waterline outside the tank and only the hose and the airstone are underwater.

Filters can indeed give enough splash to keep the water well aerated, but when you have very high temps, very much plants or running curtain meds extra aeration is needed.

thanks quasi:)

I just moved my comment over to a wooden airstone thread (I thought I'd get more attention there). anyway, I went to your link on that thread and that contraption looks easy! lol so I think when I go to town on saturday I'll pick one up (some ppl on here say their fish likes to play in the bubbles & Gabriel is in a tank by himself and I don't want him to get bored!)

I also have 3 diff. types of aquatic plants in there w/ him. I think there are baby snails in there, I saw them the other day & I have no idea where they came from! :idont

thanks quasi:)

I just moved my comment over to a wooden airstone thread (I thought I'd get more attention there). anyway, I went to your link on that thread and that contraption looks easy! lol so I think when I go to town on saturday I'll pick one up (some ppl on here say their fish likes to play in the bubbles & Gabriel is in a tank by himself and I don't want him to get bored!)

I've heard that some fish really love it. Mine at first thought that the bubbles were food, but now ignore it completely. I did give me a few lovely pics though :D

The statue is on the aerator so I get some larger bubbles

DSC03350.jpg

DSC03349.jpg

Edited by Quasi

cool statue! geeze, how did you get your fish (first pic) to stay still for a photo?! I take @ least 20 shots of Gabriel at once and he's either turning around or moves out of frame! lol

cool statue! geeze, how did you get your fish (first pic) to stay still for a photo?! I take @ least 20 shots of Gabriel at once and he's either turning around or moves out of frame! lol

By taking in total 10 to 20 pics of which are a few amazing, some not bad and most just plain blurry. I cheat though, I ask my bf to take pics as he is very good at it :D

You should check out this treat as it gives confidence that other people also often get very bad pics :yeah:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=70521

I cheat though, I ask my bf to take pics as he is very good at it :D

I can't say I'm bad at it, but it also matters that our goldies seem to be very photogenic and apparently love to have their picture taken (most of the times; some days they just hide under the filter :P ).

I cheat though, I ask my bf to take pics as he is very good at it :D

I can't say I'm bad at it, but it also matters that our goldies seem to be very photogenic and apparently love to have their picture taken (most of the times; some days they just hide under the filter :P ).

He ones took a very nice pic of them that way

KopievanDSC03551.jpg

By taking in total 10 to 20 pics of which are a few amazing, some not bad and most just plain blurry. I cheat though, I ask my bf to take pics as he is very good at it :D

You should check out this treat as it gives confidence that other people also often get very bad pics :yeah:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=70521

thanks 4 the link, I just added a few shots of my own! :)