Switching Filter Off At Night

Guest Stranger

Guest Stranger

A friend of mine was helping me set my new tank up over the weekend and he said that I should switch the filter off before I go to bed at night.

Any thoughts??? :idont

I think that this is not a good idea, the filter needs to work constantly to allow the bacteria to devour the excretions of your fish, else the water can get poisonous pretty fast, like ammonia spikes, nitrite spikes :(

A friend of mine was helping me set my new tank up over the weekend and he said that I should switch the filter off before I go to bed at night.

Any thoughts??? :idont

Definitely not! Your filter should keep running continuously. Otherwise you disturb the oxygen and nutrient flow for you filter's benificial bacteria (BB). This could lead to a (partial) BB die-off, which for one decreases your filter's filtration capacity and secondly the die-off could increase your bioload, which could potentially be harmful for your fish.

-edit: Miki beat me to it :blink: -

Edited by Erinaceus

Switching the filter off is never a good idea, espeically for a stretch of hours. In a new tank in particular, you're going to be trying to establish a cycle...you need to keep water flowing over the filter media to keep it oxygenated and to keep removing things like ammonia from the tank. Otherwise, it will build and you're likely to get sick or even dead fish.

If you're not familar with cycling, check this out http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Well, there's nothing you can do about power outages, but don't shut your filter off on purpose. If you know there's been an outage, I'd check your water params in case you need to do a water change, though.