[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every 3-4 days 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 oranda about 3 inch each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? dechlorinator

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? no

[*]What do you feed your fish? hikari lionhead, bloodworms, veggies

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Calico oranda's eyes seem to be protruding, but my husband thinks I'm imagining it. Black and gold oranda has a small blood colored spot under his chin

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? eating fine, but less active than usual

Should I just keep an eye on them and see if it gets any better? i did a 50% water change just 2 days ago and have been doing 50% every few days. I might listen to my husband about me imagining this if it weren't for the blood red spot on the other fish.

I don't know... everything looks good on the surface. I can't see anything wrong as far as the answers to the questions. You know, I noticed a pink area under the chin of my new ryukin still in qt and I sort of panicked for a bit, but I looked and looked and just decided that it's just a thin, bony area and the skin is going to be a bit translucent and pink there, especially if the skin is white there. I've kept an eye on it and nothing changes, so that's what I'm doing, just keeping an eye on it.

As far as the possible popeye, I think the only way we could give an opinion on that would be to see a picture. If you could post a pic, that would help a lot.

My camera is so old, I can't ever seem to get clear pictures of them. Her eyes still seem swollen to me, but no more so than yesterday. If it was popeye, would it have progressed some overnight? Her eyes have always been a bit more prominent so it's kind of hard to tell. Maybe i'm really overreacting, but it just didn't look right to me. As for the blood spot on the other oranda, it seems to have faded today to more of a pinkish color so I'm starting to think he injured himself somehow? Right now they are very active so I have no idea what the sluggishness was about yesterday. Maybe they just like to scare the crap out of me every once in a while.

here are a few pics of a fish with popeye .

sorry wouldn't edit ...notice the white ring around the eye?? ..kinda like sacs ...also I have heard as wen grows the eyes will protrude with the growth of the wen, but don't mistake that with popeye because dropsy usually follows..watch for any swelling

I don't see any white rings around her eyes so I guess it could be wen growth. My other poor little fish's wen is growing over his eyes. I guess I just worry more about her because she was my learning fish and has previously suffered a pretty severe internal bacterial infection. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and do a very large water change today and just watch them both closely?

I don't see any white rings around her eyes so I guess it could be wen growth. My other poor little fish's wen is growing over his eyes. I guess I just worry more about her because she was my learning fish and has previously suffered a pretty severe internal bacterial infection. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and do a very large water change today and just watch them both closely?

a waterchange is always a good idea temp and ph matched of course :D ...just watch closely .When Tucker my Oranda got popeye and he had the sacs ,he went down hill fast !! just watch for other signs of illness like bottom sitting , and swelling ..Tucker also swelled fast after he got popeye ..every fish is different of course ..but watch for these sign regardless...when you say internal bacterial ..did she have dropsy before???

Edited by hi-d

She did not have dropsy, but an Aeromonas (sp?) infection I believe. She had some open sores at her pectoral fins and could see blood spots through her scales. Medicated food took care of that after some time and she's been doing well for a couple of months. She doesn't look swollen at all, if anything she may be looking a bit thinner than usual. My daughter will be going down for a nap in a couple of hours and I'll go ahead with a large water change then.

I see , I was worried for a minute that she may of had dropsy before because they are more prone to it again ...due to her being a little on the thin side could be due to her recovery which does take time I would feed foods packed with vitamin C like sliced oranges and kiwis just to give her a boost even your other fish will benefit too and they LOVE kiwi!!!..mine do anyways

Is the ring around the eye always white when it's popeye? Her eye seems a little worse and has a slight ring around it, but the ring is the just a slightly lighter orange than the rest of the coloring around her eye. I'm really hoping it's just from wen growth. She's been bottom sitting on and off since I first posted, but starts swimming as soon as I walk by the tank. The blood spot on the other fish is completely gone so I'm thinking that was probably an injury of some sort. I will do another large water change in about an hour, other than that I don't know what to do. Could it possibly be the heat that is making her bottom sit? Her tank is 77 degrees right now, but usually warms up to about 80 by the end of the day.

when Tucker had popeye the rings were noticable..do a waterchange do you have metromeds on hand I'm not suggesting treatment as I can't say for sure what could be wrong but I would get a hold of some ,keep it sealed until you have to use it ...if things persist and not getting better maybe post in 911 section and get a mod to merge the threads and that way they can guide you better than I ..my tanks sit around 77 ..it does slow them down a little but no bottom sitting