Gorgeous Fish At Chain Store..

I went to the beach yesterday and decided to come home early. The waves were really rough and I wanted to check on Samantha. On the way out of town I saw a sign for Pets Mart. I asked shane if we could stop in. I am always curious what the fish selection will be like, because I have seen some with horrible tanks, fish and some that are sooo clean with such healthy looking fish. (Like the one I got ANGEL from!).

This one was a good one!! The fish for the most part seemed very healthy and happy. They had a good selection, including chocolate orandas, a few lionheads.. All very small but still..

I looked around because usually there will be a tank with a few larger fish and couldn't find any. But on the way out I noticed that what they had done, which is SOOO wonderful, was actually fill a real tank. (Not just one of the smaller ones on the wall that is connected to everything else) for the larger goldies. I forgot to look at the actual size. It was at LEAST a 55 gallon but I think it was larger. It has 4 large goldies in it, and they were GORGEOUS!!! I was soo impressed. I would say about 5 inches including tail was the average size. They were $27 dollars each.. All cute but there was a SUPER CUTE Black Oranda.. Chubby cutest face.. I thought "That could be Charlotte!"....Oh my gosh I wanted this fish soooo soooo ssoooooo sooooo bad. The price, the fish, everything was right.

EXCEPT! I want to work on the larger tanks, and do the One & Only experiment. I would have no place for her.. Plus with all the ups and down with my fish, I just feel like I need to give the ones I have all of my attention right now. I really don't want to get a new fish until I can say that all my current three have been in the clear of any strange behavior for at LEAST a month, and are happily in their larger home.

This was the hardest test EVER!!!! I stared for about half an hour, knowing how bad I wanted this fish, but that I shouldn't.. Shane said "do what you want to do" and I said "I WANT her, but I just can't"...I settled for taking photos.. They did not come out as clear as I hoped but you'll get this idea... I told Shane that if for some reason she is still there after my tanks are ready, then she's MINE!! But for now I had to say no.. That was SOOOOOO HARD!!!! I hope she goes to a good home.. Anybody on here near Asbury Park NJ?! If so go get her so I can at least watch her grow up though pictures! lol

Okay I gotta show you the pics so you can feel my pain!

PetStoreFish1.jpg

PetStoreFish12.jpg

PetStoreFish2.jpg

PetStoreFish3.jpg

PetStoreFish4.jpg

I want to drive back and grab her but I won't.. But I'm telling you guys, if I put that One & Only Bacteria in a tank and get an instant cycle LMAO

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man I want that almost Choco Oranda......Give to me :o

I know I can't take it!! That's the one that is driving me crazy!!!! My mind keeps swirling of ways to make it so I can get it!! (Like "if I take filter media off the Oranda tank I can set up a rubbermaid"). She's just so perfect!!!!! And the fact that it corresponds so well with the timing of my Orandas finishing QT treatment!!! The beach does sounds nice for tommorrow HAHAH

I think the hardest part is that I actually WILL have room for this fish, just not yet!!! Right now Angel will have a 38 gallon all to herself.. I easily have room for one or TWO of them.. The price is fabulous. The fish is amazing. Her little face is just stuck in my head!! lol And then I think "what if someone buys her that doesn't care?!"...To some degree she would be better off in a cycling tank with me, because I would make sure I don't slack off. They are all beauties but that one is perfect for me. You guys know how ever since the beginning I wanted a chocolate oranda... She's not quite chocolate, not quite black, but just RIGHT! I'm not as tempted by the orange oranda because I have Miranda. The red/white oranda is tempting though. And although the calico is beautiful, I really would like a calico TELESCOPE so I think I could resist. This is so hard. Tanya is off work tomorrow and she & I have been meaning to do a beach day together alone.. We could do the beach for a few hours, make a stop at the store on the way home...

Ya know I just don't want to do anything unfair to the fish just because "I want it". On one hand I could easily get a cycle going like I said with some media from the orandas. On the other, Samantha was just sick, so I don't want to transfer anything over. And again, I technically have a 29 gallon cycled tank I am just CHOSING to start it over. I really would like to do that though. I am sooo torn on this one.. Either way I knew I could NOT get her yesterday because the drive home is an hour. I would want to have SOME sort of set up ready. Not have to drive, THEN set up a tank/rubbermaid. What should i do what should I do?! lol

Shane says he will take me even though it's an hour away and gas is high. The store still has the fish... Am I being stupid?? Should I give in to my evil side?? I have a rubbermaid and an extra filter and everything... lol SHould I just do it?!

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it......

Do it.

They will be fine in the tub until you are ready for the tank. If they are really just the fish that you really want, do not pass up the opportunity.

Do it.

:)

(I am SO evil :lol2:ehh:devilangel )

Do it.

They will be fine in the tub until you are ready for the tank. If they are really just the fish that you really want, do not pass up the opportunity.

Do it.

I think permission from Daryl is worth a lot. She knows her stuff.

Be sure and post photos when you get home with Charlotte. ;)

BTW -- it sounds like Shane is a pretty good guy.

I love that calico oranda. Dang I wish I had room for mores tanks. lo So tempted to shut down my 20 gallon planted and 30 gallon planted and make them goldfish tanks too. lol

Do it.

Do it.

I second that ...iit's almost like the goldfish god opened up the heavens and whispered "if you set it up they will come" :D

Do it.

Do it.

Do it, do it, do it!

Heck babe! My quarantine tank wasn't cycled when I put my new lionhead and subsequently, my ryukin in it and they both survived and guess what?! The tank is now halfway cycled! Any they both are doing great! You just gotta be super dedicated to doing the water changes. 90% every day is what I was doing. Now I'm down to 50% every other day. When you have that gorgeous, darling little face staring back at you.... it really isn't that difficult!

Whatever you have to do....DO IT! The Chocolate Oranda is very nice AND I fell in love on sight with the gorgeous Calico!! As a matter of fact SEND THE CALICO TO ME!!!

Guest Ranchu Addict

Love the calico too. I've never seen one that nice around here. If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want this fish you should get it. But it has to 3 reallys' if its only 2 reallys don't get it. J/K hope you get go back for it.

Always listen to the Evil Twin in these matters! If you want it as bad as you seem to then you will make it work. And just think,what if some slimeball buys it and sticks it in a teeny tiny ammonia ridden22 hole? I know, I'm a big help at being practical,rofl.

Kathy

I can't talk long but.........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picture the loudest squeaky shrieking sound ever, then double it! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT! LMAO

Okay I was waiting for someone that I trusted (if you know what I mean) to give me an answer. Shane kept saying "are you going to?" and I said "I don't know - I kinda want to hear what everyone recommends" Then Daryl answered immediatley and I squealed and ran to Shane before even getting anyone else's responses and said "I GET TO GO!!!!". He said "why? Who said you could, Kristen???" (He knows almost everyone's names now HAHA) And I said "EVEN BETTER!!! DARYL said it and she is one of the BEST koko's members EVER! She's up at the TOP of the LIST!". So we left right away and I kept making strange sounds that I didn't think I knew how to make LOL (Even with Shane hahahaha)

...iit's almost like the goldfish god opened up the heavens and whispered "if you set it up they will come

It really is!!! I felt like I was granted permission from the almighty LMAO

Okay so I brought home with me not one, but two babies!! OH GOSH!!!!! The chocolate oranda and the red/white.. Right before we left I said "okay well we already have Miranda the Red Head, Samantha the "blonde" headed one, and we are getting Charlotte the Brunette. Then I went back and looked at the cute little face of that red/white and said "well, think about it. Carrie always has blonde hair thats dyed really bad and orange looking with roots, so she's KIND of RED/WHITE LMAO So how could I not just complete the group?!?!?! The fantail really caught my eye once I was there, but I am very partial to orandas.. When I got there and asked for the chocolateish one, the pet store guy said "oh that one's not for sale.. wait Did You CALL?!" and I said "yeah" and he said "oh yes it is then" and I said "you were going to hold it for me?" and he said YES! They aren't even allowed to do that at nnnn! Then the girl came up that told me I could take pictures yesterday and she said "I knew it!!!!! I thought it was going to be you". LOL

Okay as soon as I got home I emptied the water they gave me into a bucket. I made them give me two seperate bags and I made him go get the biggest ones they had so there would be more water... I tested the water. Ammonia=1 Nitrite=1 Nitrate=20 Ph=7.0 I am pretty sure that ammonia was high because of the long car ride, and Charlotte had a LOT of waste in her bag! Man she really had to GO! LOL I immediatly added 4 drops prime, then got a second bucket filled with temp matched water. My tap is testing 7.4-7.6 ish today so I added one gallon of water to the bucket, and brought the ph up to 7.2. I am going to add some more at a time over the next few hours. The water is already the same temp as the one in the rubbermaid so within a few hours I can transfer them over. I just want to try to adjust the ph a little gradually. Oh yeah, air stone in the bucket!

Okay I actually have comments to say back to each person but it's going to have to wait!! I've got a lot of work to do tonight!!! I am soo soo sooo excited.. I WILL POST PICTURES TOMORROW!! I even have a plan that will get all of my fish in tanks and still allow me to run my bacteria supplement test, AND it's going to actually include more than one type!!! (One & Only, Cycle & Stability to be exact). I concocted this on the way to the store.. I am sooo excited LMAO YAYAYAYAYAY! Thanks guys! Thanks Daryl for granting me permission : )