Goverment Rejects Goldfish Pettion

Blue

Unfortunately the petition to prevent Goldfish being given as prizes in England failed :(

I had so wished that England could be like Scotland and ban giving them as prizes

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1706

• 3 weeks later...

i know what you mean...i was gutted when i found this out. i signed the petition, and tried to get everyone i know to sign it too, but i guess it just wasn't enough. like the experience of winning a fish and having it die in an unfiltered bowl two weeks after winning it is going to be anything positive for the child...grr!

Two weeks?? My daughters prize fish she won about 3-4 years ago died in less than 2 days. It's such a shame.. Ya know, even if they passed out a little set of basics with the goldfish it would be better... When Taylor brought home her fish, I did not have ANY idea what to do with it.. At the time, getting a gold fish wasn't at all in our plans (I wasn't even there when she won it or I would have said no way!). I didn't know you had to use dechlorinator. I was under the false impression everyone else was in that a bowl was okay..The poor fish was put in a teeny little bowl with untreated tap water!!! I am surprised it lived one day.. When it died, my daughter was heartbroken.. Naturally, I had to get her more fish. That is when I went to the pet store and asked someone the proper set up so that I could keep a fish... Unfortunatly it didn't stop there. I was told I could put 3 goldfish in a 5 gallon bowl. D0 25% water changes MONTHLY and just add ammo-lock.. That was my wonderful advice I was given. I thought "well this is a pet store, they should know!". The good news is that the water got nasty fast, and although I was told "never do large water changes" I just thought that was stupid. So I was changing the entire bowl 100% once a week... They lived about 1-2 years that way, but never grew.. When the first died, I went back to the same store and was told "oh the most they will live is a year or two, you did really good". When the first one was replaced and the next died, I decided to start looking into this more.. went through soo many pet stores, etc, until I found this place.

Point is.. if there is no way to stop them from giving out the fish, maybe we could give out a small pamphlet/paper. It's something we could actually do in our local areas.. It would be a small step, but still. For example, next year at the May fair (my daughter's school fair where they give out fish), I could print up a stack of papers. With basic info.. Bowls are bad, goldies need space & filtration, dechlorinator, stuff like that.. (yes I would word it better than that, I am being lazy right now lol) Even an address for koko's at the bottom!!! Who knows, maybe SOMEONE will pay attention that cares, and if we can't stop the fish from being given out, maybe get someone to care for theirs properly???

Unfortunately the petition to prevent Goldfish being given as prizes in England failed :(

I had so wished that England could be like Scotland and ban giving them as prizes

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1706

At least you HAVE a petition in your country! We ignorant, chauvinistic and arrogant Americans think we know everything and we'll be the last country on earth to have a law like that, if we even EVER do! God bless the rest of the world for, at least, having enough sense to get it as far as you've gotten it!

Add that to the autism causing effects of Thimerosal which the rest of the world has banned and which we Americans, also, in our unending brilliance, refuse to ban...