Oranda Wen W/patchy Color Loss

Guest fishnurse

Guest fishnurse

I have a 3 inch redcap that was attacked by an oscar, returned to the pet store and was then given to me to "rehab". After 5 weeks quarentine and recovery, he was placed in 90 g w/ 4 other smaller apparently healthy GF. He has developed a loss of color in the posterior portion of his wen. I thought is might be just color change, but suddenly today he is staying in one place, nosed into a plastic plant, fins pumping. He is not sitting on the bottom, just staying in one place. He has been actively swimming and seemed content before today. Do I need to be concerned? If so, what do I do for him? Thank you!

Welcome to koko's :D this needs to be moved to disease and diagnoses a mod will do that for you :D ..first can you post your water paremeters ?? ammonia.nitrite,nitrAtes and ph ?? also have you ever treated him for flukes with prazi ?? is he being harrased by the others ??space and overstocking is definatly not an issue .. :) ..also a pic would be great ...and feel free to throw in a few of your 90g set up too!! :rolleyes: usually new scale growth or flesh growth can be a different colour but I'm not quite sure ??like I said pics would be great

When this thread gets moved, these are the questions you'll be asked to answer. Just to help you get going.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

[*]Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

oh and :welcome

Guest fishnurse

Thanks for your replys. 90g w/ 5 2-4 inch fish is established 14 month old tank. Ph 7.8-7.9 as is source water. Temp about 76. Ammonia, Nitrites 0, Nitrates < 10, I have an issue regarding the hardness of the water. It tests as soft w/ Kh and Gh but I have my doubts as ph is hard to change. Have Aqua Clear filter for 50 g and another common brand (can't remember the name) for 70g. Boyd (chemi-pure) filters, Azoo battery back up air filters, Use Stress Coat, feed Omega One GF flakes, veggie flakes, dried bloodworms, occasional orange section, and peas. Other fish seem very healthy and have been for months.

This Oranda was moved from another tank about a week ago and there was a large difference in ph. The quarentine tank he was in was about 7.2. I spent 2+ days increasing the ph in his tank to equal w/ the 90g. He seemed to adjust very well to the change. Today is the first change I have seen in his behavior. Could the move be the problem?

I have a picture that I took to post, but I have not figured out how to do this. I don't know how to get a URL for it and have not been able to find any help on this site.

The behavior concerns me more than the colorless patches. He keeps his nose in the bottom of a plastic plant and his fins are flying. Thanks all for your help!

I have a picture that I took to post, but I have not figured out how to do this. I don't know how to get a URL for it and have not been able to find any help on this site.

As far as posting a pic, you need to use a site like Photobucket to get your URL. Upload your picture to that. The medium size option is a good one to use. Then, once you have uploaded your picture to Photobucket, click on the "Direct Link" URL and copy it. Then you come back to your post here, choose the icon that is second to the right from the smiley face Emoticon icon, titled, "Insert Image." A box will come up, you paste the URL in there and click OK.

Guest fishnurse

Got it I think! :krazy: Here is the picture I hope. sorry for the size. The missing scales and torn fins are remains of the Oscar attack. I don't know what the little white thing under his eye might be. It has been there since I got him.DSC010202.jpg

Picture is perfect size! Poor little goldy. Who puts a goldfish with an oscar?! Well, your parameters and everything you're doing sounds great! This is going to require the far more advanced technical knowledge of one of our moderators. So, hang in there and someone should come along who can better help. But, just know, we're all here for you and will help and support you any way we can!

Edited by lynda441

Guest fishnurse

Don't know who put him in w/ an Oscar, but at least they got him out and took him to the fish store! The other fish in the picture is "Short-Tail", a sweet baby that I have had little over a yr. He survived some sort of infection too. Seems like I'm always nursing a fish--- hence "fishnurse". To answer one of the earlier questions that I missed, my redcap does very well w/ the other fish. It is a very peaceful community. I am signing off for the nite--It is late in NC! Thanks so much ya'll!