Wooden Airstone?

I was searching eBay today for some cheap deals on water conditioners/strip tests etc. and came across wooden airstones.

This is the eBay info:

4 x 50mm x 20mm x 20mm high quality Sander wooden air stones / diffusers as shown in photo.

Suitable for use in marine aquariums.

Brand new.

And here's a picture of them:

f67f_1.JPG

Has anyone used these before or even heard of them? Do you think they are worth trying? I've actually been thinking about getting something that will produce smaller bubbles than the airstone I have currently and I wondered if these are an option?

They work well, I had a couple of limewood airstones. Very small bubbles. But the wood starts to rot out so they don't last terribly long. For tons of small bubbles I really like the long weighted wands: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12084

Edited by cheekylemur

They work well, I had a couple of limewood airstones. Very small bubbles. But the wood starts to rot out so they don't last terribly long. For tons of small bubbles I really like the long weighted wands: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12084

Cheekylemur: I have a long bubble bar that produces bubbles the size of the picture you've shown, but I wanted to get the limewood airstones in the hope that they would produce even smaller bubbles. So, are you saying the limewood airstones only produce bubbles the same size as the bubble wands?

All bubble wands are not made the same. The size of the bubbles varies.

The wooden bubble "stones" tend to have a finer bubble than the equivilant whitiesh pressed stone. They do, indeed, fall apart very quickly in my opinion - and that factor makes them not worth the bother.

• Admin

The wood ones are normally used in SW tanks cause in the skimmers you want a fine mist in there :D Not really good for any other kind of tank :(

All bubble wands are not made the same. The size of the bubbles varies.

The wooden bubble "stones" tend to have a finer bubble than the equivilant whitiesh pressed stone. They do, indeed, fall apart very quickly in my opinion - and that factor makes them not worth the bother.

The wood ones are normally used in SW tanks cause in the skimmers you want a fine mist in there. Not really good for any other kind of tank.

Ah hah! Well, I don't really need extra oxygenation. I have plenty of filtration and movement. And since the bubblers in my tanks really are just for goldy play time, I think the bigger ones are better anyway. My new Jackson is a hoot with his bubbler!

Edited by lynda441

It may have to do with the wands you have - the brand of flexible blue ones I picked up here locally I haven't seen online, but mine release very small fine bubbles comparable to the limewood airstones without the nasty rotting side effect. They weren't cheap, but they last so much longer they were cheaper in the long run.

so I've got a newbie question & I've looked all over the forum and couldn't find an answer. what is an air stone? I think it adds oxygen to the water? why do you need one? I think when the water falls from the filter it creates enough oxygen. how do you set one up?? ok, you may laugh, but I bought a pack of air stones @ the store and dropped on in the water & it didn't do anything. so I read the back, duh, and it said something about being attached to a hose. is there a pump or something that you need to buy aswell?

Yes, you need to have an air pump and tubing for it to work. An air pump like this: p_150097_34590_air_pump.jpg or this: cat352.jpg

You connect the stone to the pump with the tubing, plug in the pump, put the stone in the water, and bubbles come through the stone!

The reason for having them is mainly to create more movement in the water, and when you have a fine mist of bubble floating around the tank, it helps to put more oxygen in the water.

I couldn't help but chuckle at your expierience with your air stones. :)

Edited by Petperson04