Grandson's Surgery

daryl

Things have taken a HUGE about-face in our family this last week. My new grandson, Alex, was diagnosed with a serious heart defect last Wednesday - and air-lifted to the nearest pediactric cardiac facility. There, he has undergone a battery of tests and studies, the team of surgeons have been assembled and the 3 possible surgeries that they may do have been rehearsed and rehersed and rehersed until it is a "ballet of surgeons" who plan on "dancing around the table" for 8-12 hours tomorrow morning.

Alex was born with an inturupted aortic arch and a large hole between the chambers of his heart. The connection between the heart chamber that sends the oxygenated blood back to his lower body is simply not there. They will be reconstructiong that and replumbing some other parts. Depending on the size and strength and functioning quality of various valves and such, they may be able to do it in one surgery and give him a relatively normal life, or they may have to split it into multiple surgeries that will take place over the next 6 years. They will not know for sure until they have him opened up.

The kids have moved to the Ronald McDonald House in New Orleans. That is a WONDERFUL facility for families of seriously ill children - allowing them to be near the hospitals, giving them very low cost housing for long term and supplying mental support at a time when most parents are totally lost. There they can stay until Alex is ready to be moved home or elsewhere. Alex's Daddy is still scheduled to be deployed to Afganistan in a few weeks, but he hopes that Alex will be able to have just the one surgery and then get on with healing and life.

So - please bear with me if I appear to be a bit more scatter-brained than usual. If you would, keep little Alex in your thoughts tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

post-27-1216125763_thumb.jpg

I'll be keeping Alex in my prayers. I hope for his sake, and the sake of his parents, you and the rest of the family that this can be taken care of with the one surgery.. He's a beautiful little boy.

What a sad situation for you and your family. Of course he will be in our thoughts and prayers. Included will be prayers for strength and support for the family, and clear minds, skilled hands, and focusing for the doctors. It sounds like the medical team is ready for whatever they may find.

Thank God for organizations like the Ronald McDonald House. They keep from adding more stress to an already stressful situation, and offer support to the families.

Please let us know the time of the surgery, so our prayers can be focused at the correct time. And of course, let us know how he is doing after the surgery.

God Bless you and keep you, Little Alex, and give you a speedy recovery. I'm sure you'll be in the hands of the Angels while the doctors mend your heart. :heart

We are all here for you, Daryl. :hug

Debbie

Carol -- I am so sorry to hear about this. My oldest son Luke was born with a very large diaphragmatic hernia which had allowed his colon to migrate up into his chest cavity and to press on his heart and lungs. In the course of preparing for surgery to correct that problem we discovered that he also had a heart defect. It was a very, very scary time. I still vividly remember carrying him into the OR (which the doctors so graciously allowed my husband and me to do), laying him down on the table, and walking away. It was so, so hard and makes me tear up now to think about it six years later.

Fortunately we had access to one of the best pediatric surgeons in the world and everything turned out fine. Because Luke's case was so rare his surgeon ended up presenting his case at several conferences. Luke is now a perfectly normal 6 year old.

I imagine that this is particularly scary for your son in law who, as a physician, probably knows more than he'd like to know about all the worst case scenarios. My thoughts will very much be with your family over the next several days. Please keep us updated.

Oh Daryl, that is hard news :(

But as everyone has said, it sounds like he's in good hands. It's great that this has been caught so early. I'll be praying along with everyone else that one successful surgery fixes the little angel.

Sorry to hear about your grandson. hope he comes through with flying colors. my thoughts are with you an your family at this stressful time :hug

Daryl, my prayers will be with you, and all of us will be there with you in our hearts. God (and the surgeons) will surely take care of little Alex's problems. He has a wonderful family and much love with him right now.

God be with you and your family and give you strength and optimism.

Little Alex, you and your whole family will be in my thoughts. Doctors never cease to amaze me with what they can do these days. I will be praying that all goes well.

Alex has just finished surgery. It only took 8 hours or so...

They came out about 2 hours ago and told my daughter that Alex is a VERY strong little boy - with a huge will to live. They figured they would be done soon. They did not say which surgery was being done - number one(complete repair), number two (partial repair and reconstruction with reduced function - to be redone twice more over the next year) or number three (total rebuild that would never function right - but would function of a sorts).

Each surgery was progressively more difficult. The short one had us hoping for number one - and the news is that they did a complete repair.

:krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy::krazy:

I am soooooooo excited. No more limbo. No more waiting. He now gets to grow into a real little boy. It is almost as if he was born again today.

I am soooooo happy.

Your post brings tears to my eyes. As a momma who has been in your daughter's shoes, I am so happy for your family. :heart Please let us know as you learn more about what happened today and what the next steps will be.

Oh that is WONDERFUL news!! I keep checking this for an update from you!

I am sooo relieved to hear that the surgery was a success.. I love how you have about 50 icons spinning around LMAO

:bighug:#1:#1:#1:#1:#1

Oh Carol I am SO HAPPY for you all!!!!!!!!

I cant imagine any happier news _ ia m trying to see the keyboard through tears. This is WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL News!!!

Daryl thats wonderful news am so pleased for you and your family :hug hope Alex has a speedy recovery :)

:Congrats::happydance:panana:9:grouphug:bighug:hi5:pianobanana:clapping::Jig::thumbs::redbanana::D:bounce:rockon

Oh Daryl, what fabulous news!! In a way, he is born again. He has a new healthy heart now.

Let us not forget to thank God for hearing the prayers of everyone, and answering them. :exactly

What a fabulous thing to read before I go to sleep. I've been thinking and praying for him all day - as I'm sure we all were.

:hug I'm sure your family will all sleep well tonight, Daryl. :)

God Bless,

Debbie