Gel Food

Guest Isilme

Guest Isilme

Quasi and I are thinking about making gel food, but we still have some questions. In Belgium, you can't find gelatine powder. We only have gelatine leaves and agar-agar leaves. Can you use gelatine leaves instead of powder? We were also wondering how much gelatine (in grams) you need per gram dry weight of food (so the raw stuff, the vegetables and other weird things you put in there), so we can weigh the gelatine leaves. Has anyone ever made gel food using leaves? All help is welcome :)

You strange people in the whole wide rest of the world who insist on using the metric system.... lol! j/k! :teehee I haven't used leaves nor do I measure metric, but this was an interesting question, so I did some research. So, here's a pretty cool site I found... pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about gelatin(e).

How to Cook with Gelatin(e)

In part, it says:

One envelope of granulated unflavored gelatin = 1/4 ounce = 7 grams = 2 1/2 teaspoons = about 4 gelatin leaves.

"If using leaf gelatin, fill a bowl with water or liquid called for in the recipe, so the gelatin sheets will be submerged. Place the appropriate number of gelatin leaves on it. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or until they somewhat submerge and become limp. The sheets absorb 1-1/2 ounces (44.36 ml) of water for every 3 sheets (9 grams). Remove the soaked leaves from the liquid. Do not squeeze the water from the gelatin and place in a pot with the liquid as specified in the recipe."

It says: "Gelatin is always used in a ratio to liquids in the recipe: usually 1/4 ounce (7.39 ml) of powdered gelatin is needed to set 16 ounces (473 ml) of liquid."

I say: this is for softer human foods, and as we want a more firmly set gel food, I set my measure of the actual food product to about 1 cup (237 ml).

I do know about Jello though! I'm originally from Utah, the number one Jello consumer in the entire world! What a proud record to hold! :#1:I-Thank-You::rofl

Edited by lynda441

I recently made a batch of gel food with agar agar for the first time. It's a great alternative to regular gelatin, it's made from seaweed, and it's a natural laxative. I highly recommend it!!! :)

Edited by Desiree

Yeah, I remember you were talking about that! So, it turned out good huh!? I still have a couple envelopes of regular gelatin, but I definitely intend on trying the agar agar as soon as that runs out! I live in an area that's full of japanese grocery stores.

Thanks for the tip Desiree :) (I think that in Europe/Belgium agar-agar is a little easier to come by than real gelatine).

Guest Isilme
Thanks for the tip Desiree :) (I think that in Europe/Belgium agar-agar is a little easier to come by than real gelatine).

It is more expensive though

It's indeed much more expensive. 12g agar-agar powder costs ?2.20 (that's $3.5)! 16g gelatine-leaves costs only ?1.05 ($1.7). If gelatine-leaves work nice, I think we'd better go fot that. Agar-agar has indeed some health-benefits, but I guess my wallet would complain (and given the fact that it's the first time we'll try to make this, I think we'd better go for the least expensive option, you know, kitchen disasters and stuff... ;) ).

It's indeed much more expensive. 12g agar-agar powder costs ?2.20 (that's $3.5)! 16g gelatine-leaves costs only ?1.05 ($1.7). If gelatine-leaves work nice, I think we'd better go fot that. Agar-agar has indeed some health-benefits, but I guess my wallet would complain (and given the fact that it's the first time we'll try to make this, I think we'd better go for the least expensive option, you know, kitchen disasters and stuff... ;) ).

Not when I'm around :rofl

Guest Isilme
It's good to know there's a substitute to gelatin. I won't use it because they slaughter horses for it.

I don't think they slaughter horses only for the gelatine... Well, they surely don't do this in Belgium. Gelatine is made, for as far as I know, from bones and skin of slaughtered animals (that were slaughtered for their meat). Using up everything from a killed animal is quite good I think, but everyone has his one opinion.

Agar-agar is, I think, healthier, because it still has vitamins and minerals and such.

Guest Isilme

So, our gelfood experiment turned out great. As Quasi said in a different post, all fishies LOVE the food.

Like Quasi, I also gave too much the first time, but the gf didn't seem to mind :) They weren't hungry for the next 2 hours, very rare!!! ;) How much gelfood do you need too feed per gram of fish?

Alain made some pictures, so I think he will post them in this post. We added, as Quasi mentioned, all the floating food we bought, peas, carrots, green pepper, garlic, seaweed-mix and vitamin drops. Yummie... :feedme

So we (Isilme and I) made gellfood of the non sinking stuff without colour enhancers. We added also a green paprika, peas and a some tiny carots. After the mixing of the stuff we also added some dried seaweed and some extra vitamine drops. The only problem we had was that the gelatine wasn't of the youngest anymore, so we didn't managed to get all the lumps out. We made 1/3 of a gal. The colour we had when we had poured it in the plastic contaires could best be discribed as 'puke coloured' *yuk*. After that we were waiting with anticipation till it 'had set', which it did :Congrats: to ourselves, our first gellfood went well :happydance .

The next morning I tried it on the fishes, I didn't cut it small anough for the little ones, but they did attack the huge cubes (from their point of view) with much vigor, so I have already bought a garlick press (fantastic tip :D ).

The bigger ones love it also, altough I've given a bit to much the first time. The fish didn't mind: "Look at that pile of breakfast :feedme " When I noticed it, I wanted to take the exess out, but then Fred saw reaching me into the water and started eating again with a look at me: "You are not planning on taking that away are you?" 3 sec later the 5 others joined her. And I let them eat. They gonna get 2 fast days to compensate though :gcar:

edit: apparently Isilme just beat me to it :D

Edited by Quasi

Alain made some pictures, so I think he will post them in this post.

I will, once I get clearance on which photo's are allowed and which not (as mentioned before, Miki doesn't like being on photographs) :rolleyes: .

Guest Isilme

:)

Maybe we can put a smiling face were she is. Because she's so cheerful all the time, it wouldn't make much difference :)

BTW: I liked the pictures actually...

Maybe we can put a smiling face were she is. Because she's so cheerful all the time, it wouldn't make much difference :)

BTW: I liked the pictures actually...

Yeah, me too. The smiley-suggestion is a good option, but I'd still prefer the non-editted version though :D .

I will, once I get clearance on which photo's are allowed and which not (as mentioned before, Miki doesn't like being on photographs) :rolleyes: .

Then who is that mystery woman you got to sit next to you in your avatar photo?! :rofl3

Oh, Miki... you're such a silly billy!

Isn't making gel food fun!? It's easy, a chance to become a mad scientist and concoct a fun, crazy recipe and after all of that, it's yummy! mmm

Guest Isilme

Then who is that mystery woman you got to sit next to you in your avatar photo?! :rofl3

Oh, Miki... you're such a silly billy!

Isn't making gel food fun!? It's easy, a chance to become a mad scientist and concoct a fun, crazy recipe and after all of that, it's yummy! mmm

The three of us are already mad scientists I reckon ;)

O yeah. ?HAhahahahahahaha :tomuch:

I promised some pics of the gel making. Here they are :D

First we took the order :rofl

DSC03684.jpg

What a fantastic colour :blink:

DSC03708.jpg

Good looking soup :rofl

DSC03711.jpg

Gel food cooling down

DSC03713.jpg

We with our creation :happydance

DSC03714.jpg

The fish with their 'buffet' :feedme

DSC03723.jpg

And one of Quasi in her 'plate' :rofl:tomuch:

DSC03726.jpg

O yeah. ?HAhahahahahahaha :tomuch:

I guess that's true! lol!

LOL! What a great diary of the process! And, good land a plenty! I think you made enough food for God and every goldfish he ever created! :rofl3

And yeah, I think some portion practice is required! Were your fishies lying on their backs with their pants undone, burping and picking their teeth after this pigout!? :tomuch:

And, good land a plenty! I think you made enough food for God and every goldfish he ever created! :rofl3

It was only 1.2 liters or 0.33 gal, but it looks a lot more when it was in the plastic containers :blink:

And yeah, I think some portion practice is required! Were your fishies lying on their backs with their pants undone, burping and picking their teeth after this pigout!? :tomuch:

Yes they did love the huge breakfast :D . None off them burped as they are all ladies :tomuch:

Edited by Quasi