Edible Plants

Chrissy_Bee

I actually posted this question on PB but I wanted to put it here too, in case it helps other members because I'm sure it can apply to goldies too :)

I'm wanting to give my turtle some 'enrichment' items and I was thinking that an edible aquatic plant or two could be good. Does anyone know any plants that are particularly good for this?

My turtles never had much of an enrichment with any kinds of plants, Chrissy. They mostly just got torn apart, and I found them later in bits and pieces stuck to the filter. Not even the very hardy papyrus plant withstood the turtle abuse. They aren't really plant eaters, either, so it wouldn't supplement their diet either.

What my turtles had most fun with were objects in the tank - tunnels, logs, rocks, things that moved. If you have something that floats, even something as simple as a golf ball, that is much more stimulation to them. They like to chase, so anything that moves is great for them. Of course, you could always add a couple of fish to their tank, but that isn't my idea of entertainment. They'd eat the fish (most of them anyway), and with turtles it is the same than it would be with carnivorous oscar - do not get feeder fish for them, since you never know what kind of parasites you introduce. I actually had a feeder guppy for 3 years that the turtle just didn't want to eat. The little fish got quite big in the outside ponds together with the turtle. But that would be the rare occassion - most fish are gone within a weeks time. Its not really entertaining, though.

How big is your turtle now? If its still small, get some 4 inch pvc piping with elbows, to make a little labyrinth of sorts - that'll entertain a turtle much more than any plant that you find ribbed to shreds later on.

Thanks!! I've had second thoughts about the plants too, when I realized what a mess he'd make.

Goober's about 13 now and probably 10 inches, so the pipe won't do it :P But he does love to move things around. There are a few big rocks in there he likes to move, and with past set ups I remember him scratching his butt on rocks and things.....he's also an expert heater smasher.

The golf ball is a great idea! I'm also thinking a nice log would be good, for him to scratch on/push around.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a floating ping pong ball would give him some entertainment as well. I love those little turtle faces when they bop out of the water - wall you see is a little snout with their nostrils and a paif or eyes. :D Although Goober is anything but small. :heart

They aren't really plant eaters, either, so it wouldn't supplement their diet either.

I don't understand why you'd say that. :hmm My turtle loves to shred and eat aquatic plants as well as lettuce (not iceberg). I'm sure we have different turtles, but the forum I go to (turtletimes.com) a lot of turtle owners feed their turts plants. Some ppl have success w/ a planted turtle tank, although I haven't been that lucky. Anything you put in the tank, if you have an aquatic turtle, will become turtle food.

I suggest, chrissy_bee, that you find a turtle forum and there you can find a list of edible plants and other usefull information. Some enrichment items could be fish, although some do worry about them carrying parasites so it's your discretion. As long as there is enough water (10 gals per inch) and a basking dock of some sort w/ a UVB/UVA/Heat lamp the turtle should be fine. Turtles don't need company since they are solitary creatures.

edit: I didn't mention what type of plants, anachris is a good one. So are some pond plants like water lettuce or water hyicinth.

Edited by Martha

Thanks Martha. My turtle does eat a lot of plants - well, fruits and veggies. I've read that they eat less meat and more plants as they age. I'm still working on his tank, but I think a turtle forum is a good idea :)

Not sure about turtles but I grow duck weed in my tropical planted tanks and when I thin it out I give it to my goldfish. They LOVE the stuff. They pretty much get some weekly.

Not sure about turtles but I grow duck weed in my tropical planted tanks and when I thin it out I give it to my goldfish. They LOVE the stuff. They pretty much get some weekly.

ooh! I forgot about duckweed!! :) That's a good idea.