Guest Jeff007

Guest Jeff007

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? - 0

Nitrite Level? - ?

Nitrate level? - ?

Ph Level - 6.8

Brand of test-kit used? - API Drop

Tank size/been running? - 10 Galons, 2.5 weeks (running sterile for 1 week before the fish were added)

Temp - Trying to keep it below 80 but our appartment does not have AC and we have been having really hot weather

My girlfriend and I bought 2 small pearlscales, Tom & Huck, both slightly larger than acorns on July 4th. Both seemed in good condition, but when we brought them home, Huck swam around great while Tom other hid on the bottom. By the end of the weekend, Tom suddenly began floating and died. Shortly thereafter, Huck began not eating and started to get tail rot. Huck was also floating on the top and having trouble swimming, he kept getting tossed around in the current. On Thursday, Huck began to have a huge white fungus come out of his gill (sadly on the exact opposite side as his fin rot so he really couldn't swim well at all). I ended up taking Huck out of the tank to treat him becuase he kept wedging himself behing the filter tube. Please note, the filter and bubbler were turned off at this point, and I watched him purposefully swim over and wedge himself behind it numerous times. I actually think the wedging behind it may have caused the fungus on his gill. At any rate, Huck has been in a bowl since Friday getting a treatment of a little Pimafix, and an extra light mix of Erythromycin and Furazone-Green (both of which were purchased at a local fish store). I am happy to say that the fugus growth (probably .25 inches long at its worst) has fallen off, and his tail seems to be getting a little better but is still probably missing a good .25% of it. Sadly, he doesn't seem to be able to swim well at all and spends most of his time floating on either side and very slowly moving around the bowl at the very edge (like the wall of it is a training wheel). He has also developed a very large clear bubble over one of his eyes over the last few days and still does not eat. Is there anything you can think of to help him out or is Huck going to end up the same as Tom? He is such a cute fish and my girlfriend is very unhappy about the possibility of losing both of our new fish within 2 weeks of gettng them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

jeff

Hello and welcome to kokos to you both and Tom and Huck :exactly

First of all an important question for you- are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle and how beneficial bacteria (bbs) build up in our filter over a period of 6 to 8 weeks to keep our fish safe from nitrites and ammonia? It seems your fish are suffering from new tank syndrome- the most common death/disease initiator for all goldfish. The first 6-8 weeks of keeping goldies you need to commit to daily partial water changes, not weekly. Any less and the fish may not survive the toxic chemicals in water that is not biologically filtrated by bbs. Bbs take 6-8 weeks to establish.

First thing to do - an 80% water change on the main tank, matching for temperature and pH.

Yes- very important- to get him OUT of that bowl, bowls are for flowers not fish. Ever.

80% water change on the main tank and both fish back in it asap is best :)

Guest Jeff007

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. Just as a side note, it's just Huck now, Tom died 3 days after we got him.

I will try the water change, and put him back in the tank, but what about the difficulty Huck has swimming. Should I leave the filter and bubbler off until he can swim? If I throw him in (not litterally) now, he will get tossed around like a leaf in a hurricane. Is there anything I should be adding to the water besides some salt, stresscoat and stesszime?

Thanks again for all of your help!

You have to understand that water quality is everything. You cannot see or smell nitrites but they kill at levels as low as 1 PPM with fish this tiny. Bad water kills, Good water heals.

You need a test kit for them. And you need to test the water daily and/or change some out daily for 6-8 weeks.

He may have been permanently damaged. Gill disease as he had is an indication of gill damage and unfortunately nitrites are particularly hard and destructive to gills.

But his best chance is water with zero ammonia zero nitrites and stable non-fluctuating pH.

It is amazing- quite incredible what fish can bounce back from in good water. He is tiny though so I cannot say for sure that he will- but at least you know you are doing all you can for him as any meds at this point will just push him over.

I never use any stress products, a little salt definitely helps with gill damage.

I'm sorry about Tom.

Guest Jeff007

Thanks for you advice.

I will put little Huck back in the tank after a water change, discontinue the meds I have been adding, change the water frequently and hope for the best.

Any advice about the filter and bubbler though? On or Off? I can't turn down the filter as it does not have the ability to adjust.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it all turns out.

You do not need the bubbler I think in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and only one fish BUT make sure that the filter outpipe is making some kind of splash somewhere on the waters surface. You must always see a ruffled surface with at least a few bubbles popping to ensure oxygen is being dissolved. This is where oxygen enters the water column and your fish needs oxygen very badly with damaged gills + high temp water. There is far less oxygen available in warmer water.

Does your filter have an adjustment knob where you can turn it down a little? The Stresscoat is a dechlorinator with conditioners, so that will be ok. As Imogen said, the Stresszyme isn't necessary if you use a little salt for medicating. Not table salt, ok? You can buy aquarium salt, but its pretty expensive for a little amount. Many of us here use pickling salt, kosher salt or rock salt. Just make sure it doesn't have any anti-caking ingredients in it. Nothing but the salt, ok?

Here is a link that explains the nitrogen cycling of the tank. Its really helpful and explains a lot.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Here's another link for the 10 Steps for Healthy Goldfish. It also is very helpful!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

Good luck and keep us informed. And please get that water tester (drops not strips) ASAP. If you can't get the tester right now you can take a sample of your water to the lfs. Just make sure they give you exact numbers, not just that its ok.

The Stresscoat is a dechlorinator with conditioners, so that will be ok..

Yep. Also there are some other fish needs' summary links in my sig you may want to read. Good luck with Huck and keep us posted!