Some Suggestions Please!

jyoti411

I recently upgraded my red cap oranda Sunshine to a 21 gallon tank with Penguin 200 and she loved it..She would always rest at night at one end of the tank where the water is very calm and she would always be at peace there..I always thought she is lonely, so day before yesterday I got her a friend...a red oranda, which is smaller than Sunshine..I notice he is really really active...Sunshine always has to keep up with his fast swimming..he is all over the place...she tries to be with him...she likes him...but I just think she is getting tired with him..At times during the day she would go hide in some between the filter and tank towards the top of the tank...I was really surprised to find out that Sunshine did not sleep at night at her regular spot..instead she slept in the same space between the filter where I could not even see her in the morning..when I came close she came out of the hiding and towards me..The new guy took her space at night..she is fine..she eats and swims with the new guy..but is she getting stressed?the guy does not nip at her, but I was worried so I put him in a 5 gallon QT tank, I originally set up for him. What do I do? Should i return him? I am only worried because she is so close to the filter...

Sunshine is really 2.5 inches from nose to end of tailfin...and like I said the new guy is even smaller...I have a plan to upgrade them when they grow a little, say in 1-2 years from now...I wont keep my babies cramped up....but is there anything I can do to help this situation. Is the tank overstocked??

I would really appreciate if I could get some suggestions or some thoughts over this.

Thanks so much everyone.

-Jyoti

I've found in the past that new fish usually get bullied (or vise versa) for a day or two until they've gotten used to one another and estabilshed a new order in the tank. If you don't think the new guy is going to do any damage, I'd try to put them together again. You could try adding a few hidey places, like terra cotta pots or pvc pipes, so your girl can go have some 'alone time' if she needs it :P

actually he isnt nipping at her...occasionally sure in her anal area..more hiding places??..thts a good idea..well but I do have a No fishing sign and a small bridge, but I find that whenever the girl goes there to rest..he follows her and drives her out..maybe he just wants to swim and play with her...but the girl does not get any rest...I am only worried that she might get tired and stressed soon..which she actually does and then hides between the filter..and the guy does not bother her there...is a 20 gallon tank small for 2 little ones??? I mean I know an upgrade in future is necessary, but what about now...does the new guy want more space???

No, a 20 gallon for 2 gf is good... until they get to be big anyway. And your filter is good for now as well. And, if they are he and she as you call them and with the anal nipping/nudging, it could be a sign of breeding behavior. But, a new fish should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks anyway, so keeping him separate for that reason is a good idea, although a 5 gallon tank is very small. You are going to need to keep a very, very close eye on the water parameters. But, yeah, quarantine him and I would also suggest adding some Hikari Prazi-Pro for flukes. It's almost guaranteed that fish are going to come from the store with flukes, so treating for that is a very good idea too. If the new guy looks good after at least 2 weeks, you can then introduce him into the main tank. If he continues the chasing behavior, first, just give it time to see if it's just getting used to the new surroundings. If the chasing appears to be too stressful or harmful, then you might need to consider doing something else.