Going Back To Clear Water

Hey guys,

About a year and a half ago, I got into the green water setup. I bought some fry and they've benefited tremendously from this, they've grown almost 2-3 inches bigger. But now, I want to try and go back to an all clear, "clean" setup.

For a couple weeks, I've tried unsuccessfully to revert back to clear water. I'd do water changes, and the water would appear clear, but a few days later, it would start to green up again.

A couple problems I may see are:

1) Strong lighting. I initially bought a 130W CF Setup, to encourage green water growth. I have a 50 gallon tank, so that's a little under 3 watts per gallon.

2) Lack of a good enough filter. Initially, I had a HOB filter that was fine when I had green water.

Would my situation be solved if?

1) I turn off one of the switches, and cut the wattage into 65W.

2) Get a canister filter. (Planned on doing this anyways.)

Thanks.

Guest Ranchu Addict

A UV sterilizer would clear your water up. I tend to run higher lighting like you and only get wall algae. You can go to 65 but I think the sterilizer will be a huge help. What kind of filter do you have now?

I have a Whisper, and I added another Internal. It's not all that great, but it was fine when I had algae.

I was thinking about the UV Sterilizer, but my only qualm would be replacing the bulbs. How often do you replace it? It seems to run very expensive when I think about it from that point. Would the canister do any help?

Edited by Comet

Do u want to swap your tank with me? I actually have been trying get brew some GW/Green Algaes in my 38G tank. I guess my lighting (20W) is too weak for this. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, leaving a 130w light on for at least 8 hours a day during the summer is really somethining I need to think over before doing it.

I found that a very fine filter floss will pick up the suspended algae. My fry tank had green water (yet the light was only a 15 watt on a 10 gallon), and when I moved them into a larger tank I put my betta in the smaller tank, along with a filter that contains Finny Filter Floss: its description is "Extra soft floss for aquarium filters". I was amazed to find that the filter floss quickly turned green, and the water started clearing up. After a water change and rinsing the filter, the green water was gone. I stuffed some of the floss into the filter in our small outdoor pond, but it is not enough to keep up with the rapid algae growth.

I don't think that Finny is available now. I bought it at a thrift store. However, there are other very fine filter flosses that may work.

Edited by A Penguin

Guest Ranchu Addict

If you did go the sterilizer route the bulb would need replacing based on how often you used it. Once you get rid of the algae you wouldn't need it on all the time. A bigger filter is always good, but may not clear up your algae problem. You can try the filter floss and reduce the time your lights are on. Does the tank get any natural sunlight? That can also contribute to green water. You can get floss or batting at the fabric section of Wally Mart or a craft store. I think its cheaper than buying from a pet store. Just check and make sure is pure polyester or no added chemicals.

I had a spat with GW a few months ago, I have 2 fluval 405 canisters on my 55g, I added everything from a extra filter floss to chemicals, to no light and massive water changes. In the end it took UV to get rid of it. I bought a cheap $49.99 UV from Pestmart, the power head that comes with it sucks but did the trick.

In a true green water setup, the fish are removed every 5 days or so, give or take, and the tub/tank is scrubbed out. 10% of the green water is reserved to reseed the green water - the tub/tank is refilled using that 10% and 90% fresh water, and the fish are replaced. The fish waste (ammonia) is processed by the algae, requiring only a minimum water turnover from a filter - mostly for oxygenation.

If you wish to convert to clear water, simply replace 100% of the water at the next scrub down. You will need a strong enough filter (at least 10X turnover per hour - more if you have a fully or overstocked tank) and most likely a nitrogen cycle cultivated. Cycling your tank will take a while - so be prepared for loads of water changes.

Strong lighting should not be a problem.... simply limit the hours of light, add real plants or do more frequent water changes to keep the nitrates low. Your algae bloom should be minimal.