I Want To Start A Tropical Tank! Help?

Guest Katherine

Guest Katherine

So I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 goldfish and an albino bristlenose pleco. Being that I can't really stock the tank anymore than it is without making things uncomfortable for the fish, I was thinking of starting a tropical community in a 10 gallon tank. I would like to include guppies, a male betta, possibly a snail, and lots of plants. Would this setup work well? Does anybody have any suggestions for me? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks :]

Well a male betta can't really go with anything, especially guppies! He'd have their tails bit off before you knew it.

If you're going to get guppies, just know that if you have males and females they are going to breed. I keep males only in my tank, they are beautiful and it eliminates the need to care for/home fry. But if you do want to breed them, you should have about 2 or 3 females to every male.

Snails are great too....but, if you plant heavily they may just eat all the plants! :P

It's great that you're doing your research before buying, keep the questions coming and I'm sure you'll get loads of help! :)

Like Chrissy said, a male betta really ought to be kept alone. Guppies are neat fish, very pretty and entertaining to watch. You can keep 4-5 males in a 10-gallon tank. (You can tell males from females because males are very bright, and females are more chubby and drab-colored... Sometimes pet stores will separate them.)

Snails are neat, too, but don't keep them if you just want them to control algae or eat scraps, because they don't do enough of either to be justifiable.

I like your idea of having lots of plants. :thumb:

I kept a female betta with guppies for a few months and they totally ignored each other. So that's an option for you.

Yes, all male guppies together are quite entertaining to watch as they like to play tag and are very energetic.