Degree In Aquatic Biology

magickzzl

So I am so very close to having a degree in art and illitrution. I love art, am decent at it and would love to make a living at it.

But Im a realist.

I have been debating schooling in other subjects this whole time, and now that Im this close to the art degreee i think i need to look at possibly my back up career (or just staying ins chool forever and living with my mom, you know, what ever works). I always come back to animals, and I love livestock but in my neck of the woods agriculture is depleating. there is a realality that there may not be any jobs available when i graduate except out of state. (or as cabbage picker) So i have been going through things i love and everyone seems to come to me about fish questions anyway, even when i dont know and just google it.

Does anyone here have a degree in aquaculter/aquatic biology or know someone who does? :)

I know of someone (to the second degree) who is an 'aquatic biologists' in the sense of studying aquatic mammals, but jobs/PhDs like are few and far between. At our university there are also plenty of people who work on aquatic ecology, but there, as in the study of aquatic mammals, it's mainly a question-driven science: it's the study of a system within an evolutionary or conservation context; the fact that the system has a lot of water in it is mainly a detail as such. So the question becomes, what exactly regarding (aquaculter)/aquatic biology are you interested in? If it's working with either plants or animals outside an evolutionary context, something like veterinary science may be a better option than specifically biology. If not, then biology would be the thing to do though :) .

I was thinking possibly along the lines of aquatic maintance and propagation. perhaps i have my terminology wrong. (Im going off livestock selection, evaluation and management which is where i have been) but if theres no jobs there either maybe im barking up the wrong tree. Im not sure about plants or animals, i like both. :)

I know people who've studied aquaculture and got jobs without a problem, but it is very dependant on your location. I live in a very ocean/fish orientated area, so the industry is in a bit of a boom. Also, there are a couple of ocean research centres here that employ a lot of people. I think like any science degree, you may have to move to get a job. My advice is do some research on the industry, find out what's needed and where, then look into possible programs.

Magic, consider going with California State Fish & Game--that's where I will likely be headed someday when I'm done with my degree. I do have an art degree and at the moment am working toward biology (don't know where I'll be going as far as university, but I'd like to concentrate on aquatic biology). THere seems to be more opportunity within the government realm for these types of jobs. I've also looked into the State Park system. There are also a lot of opportunities for cadets for state parks and you can work anywhere around the state.

Check out some of the California government job sites. That's where I started. :) But do this before you graduate with a bachelor's in art--in California, once you have a degree, you can't enroll in a state school again. Because all the schools are so full they are only taking first time students. (Don't get me started on this--I've been going around about it for years now!). For now I'm just at community college working toward my second degree till I can figure out where to go.

in California, once you have a degree, you can't enroll in a state school again. Because all the schools are so full they are only taking first time students.

Wha??? :o That's crazy! I know so many people who've gone back and done different degrees/programs because the one they origionally did got them nowhere.

Yeah.... don't even get me started! And when I wanted to enroll, I had the money, it wasn't like I was also asking for financial aid! So I am working hard, doing as many classes as I can at the junior college level, then just have to hope I will be able to be accepted in the future. :(

In California, if you want to do more than one thing, it would be wise to do a double major.