My First International Conference :)

Erinaceus

I'm halfway through my first international conference (I already attended one in the Netherlands, but that one was mostly a Netherlands/Flanders conference). I've presented a poster about my master's thesis, and there were some people interested in what I had to say about the study so I'm glad ^_^ (I've really put a lot of work into the poster and wouldn't have been almost devastated even nobody had shown any interest :unsure: ; I've put a pdf version of it online on my university's webpage if anyone's interested :) ).

The conference itself is also nice. Today there were some really interesting (and well performed) presentations and tomorrow should be even better :D (yesterday and the day before were okay, but not really my cup of tea). I'm now also meeting some of the 'authorities' in my field, so I can finally put a face on a lot of those often cited papers :) . From Wednesday on it's back to analysing date from the last couple of months though, which will probably take me till September at least :krazy: .

The conference is over since last night, but I though it might interest some people to know that the next ISAE conference (in 4 years) will be in Japan ;) .

Wow, you really do that kind of work? I'm truly impressed! I often read articles on science topics that are geared to the lay person - scholarly but summarized for non-scientists. I thought I was reading one of those articles, which in biology are often of a detailed study, such as you did on the Starlings. My non-scientific opinion has been that chemistry in animals (which includes humans) has a larger effect on behavior that people feel free to recognize. Nature vs. nurture? These are the studies that will help unlock the mystery.

Wow, you really do that kind of work? I'm truly impressed! I often read articles on science topics that are geared to the lay person - scholarly but summarized for non-scientists. I thought I was reading one of those articles, which in biology are often of a detailed study, such as you did on the Starlings. My non-scientific opinion has been that chemistry in animals (which includes humans) has a larger effect on behavior that people feel free to recognize. Nature vs. nurture? These are the studies that will help unlock the mystery.

Thanks :D . It's true what you say about the effect of chemistry on behaviour. Actually, that's been 'common knowledge' among behavioural biologists for for decades now, but of course it always takes some (or a lot of) time for scientific knowledge to seep down to the general public :unsure: .

I'm now also meeting some of the 'authorities' in my field, so I can finally put a face on a lot of those often cited papers
That is always a cool thing. It's really funny (ok...geeky) but I get sort of 'star struck' when I meet people like that! :rofl

Great looking poster! I'm off to my first international conference in a month (California here I come!!!!). It's not strictly biology though, it's for conservation GIS, so it will be an interesting mix of people from all over the world.

Great looking poster! I'm off to my first international conference in a month (California here I come!!!!). It's not strictly biology though, it's for conservation GIS, so it will be an interesting mix of people from all over the world.

Thanks :D . I took a look at the conference calendar (all hail google :) ). It seems really packed, so I guess you'll be dead tired afterwards (and hopefully a little wiser or at least more confused :P ). Let me/us know how it went ;) . And if you ever have a conference in or near Belgium, be sure to let me know :D .

I thought it was a nice poster and an interesting read. I didn' t understand all the numbers, but the graphs made it all clear.

It did leave me wondering........How on earth do you castrate a bird?? :o

I thought it was a nice poster and an interesting read. I didn' t understand all the numbers, but the graphs made it all clear.

It did leave me wondering........How on earth do you castrate a bird?? :o

Thanks, it's nice that it was also understandable for non-biologists :) .

Castrating a bird is relatively easy. You have to make a small incision in the cloaca (I think) and remove the two tiny dots you find there (which should be done in fall/autumn, when the testes are regressed, i.e. much much smaller than in spring). Given that birds have few blood vessels near their skin, there very little blood involved, and they heal really fast. At this point I should note that I myself have never done it; that's just the theory behind it ;) .

Thanks . I took a look at the conference calendar (all hail google ). It seems really packed, so I guess you'll be dead tired afterwards (and hopefully a little wiser or at least more confused ). Let me/us know how it went . And if you ever have a conference in or near Belgium, be sure to let me know .
Yes it's going to be a busy week, but my sis is flying up when it's over and we're heading to San Fransisco for a few days :nana

And yes, if I never get over towards Belgium I will be sure to let you know!

I know what you mean about data crunching too, btw. I'll be doing that until Sept....then I'm supposed to be on track to write my thesis....by Christmas!!! :unsure:

And yes, if I never get over towards Belgium I will be sure to let you know!

I know what you mean about data crunching too, btw. I'll be doing that until Sept....then I'm supposed to be on track to write my thesis....by Christmas!!! :unsure:

I'm guessing the letter in bold is a typo(?) ;) . Yeah, data crunching is really a ..., well you know what I mean. But it's really fun afterwards that you have something to show for the effort you mustered.

Please don't take this as another pressure source, but I'd love to read your thesis once it's done :D .