One And Only Bacteria...

Hi everyone. I've had many sick fish in my 29 gallon tank. There were fish with Ich, fish with flukes, fish with illness that I don't even know what it was. Right now my two orandas are almost at 30 days in a 10 gallon tank, and have been treated with Prazi and salt (and dimilin). I want to move them into the 29 gallon as their permanent home, which I have kept cycled with ammonia. I mentioned on another thread that with all of the problems, I am thinking about using PP to disinfect everything and start fresh. The 10 gallon is cycled and even though it would be too small as a permanent home, I don't see why I couldn't keep them in there another few months while getting the 29 gallon back up to speed. I've been doing daily water changes for a few months now because of meds, sickness, etc. So yes I would have to do more water changes in a 10 than a 29, but compared to what I have been doing, even 3-4 water changes a week would seem like a breeze lol. I went to a LFS near me that is overall very good. They carry many products I can't find at other stores, and I have spoken to a few workers, including a manager, that seem very knowledgable. I called them to see if they carried One & Only Bacteria. I thought it might be something useful if I wanted to start the tank fresh. They had it and I went to pick some up. When I got there, I found an employee and he and I got into a discussion about whether or not my tank needed to be disinfected, whether PP was a good choice, and whether One & Only was worth it. I posted the whole conversation on another thread. In short he said whatever was in the tank was dead, that I killed the bacteria with the ammonia, that PP is not good as a disinfectant. Based on what I have read on here he is wrong about some, if not all of those things. So I am choosing not to listen to him and rely on the advise/info I get and have already read here at koko's. The final that he said, which bothers me, is that the One And Only Bacteria does not need to be refridgerated. In the store it was NOT in the refridgerated section. It was behind a counter in regular temperatures. I asked him about it and he said it does not need to be, but it can be. Everything I have read so far suggests that it MUST be or else the product is useless. I bought it but have not opened it, because I wanted to double check on here. I also have not done anything to disinfect my tank yet. I have still been adding ammonia every few days. I had hoped to talk to the manager there that I had spoken with before, but he was not there. However, it doesn't really matter who I talked to, it was still not refridgerated! Any advice? Should I just return it?

No advice, but I want to keep in touch here to hear the answers. It will be interesting to know. Now, as far as the One and Only, man, the point of it is it's live bacteria! If it's not kept refrigerated, it dies! So, that one I don't get at all. And so, I question the veracity of everything else that guy said. And I know that if a tank is fishless for the full life cycle of ich, all the ich will die and I would suspect that would be true of other parasites, but can't say for sure. And, as ammonia is used for cleaning and disinfecting in our homes, my mind thinks that it should kill bugs in an aquarium as well, but, again, I don't know for sure. So, I'll be watching for an answer....

Hmmm.... I found this link that has a live interview with the inventor of One and Only. They asked him about how it needs to be kept, and he was quite ambiguous about whether it should be kept refrigerated in the store. He also claims that One and Only immediately removes all ammonia and nitrites and that, once added, the tank is cycled overnight. This is the inventor! Now I am confused....

Interview with Dr. Tim Hovanec

EDIT: So, I'm listening to this interview (it's long) and Dr. Tim just said that One and Only DOES NOT need to be refrigerated. It has a shelf life of 6 months unrefrigerated and 12 months if refrigerated.

Edited by lynda441

Ah hah! So, further into the interview, Dr. Tim does finally say that not all fish do well in a new tank and to start with only one hearty fish, like a danio, hello!, and then wait for a month or more to add more sensitive fish! Sounds like regular cycling with fish to me! So, I guess I'm trusting him more but he needs to be clearer, I think, in the way he says things cuz newbies are gonna take him too literally.

Where to Buy One and Only

Edited by lynda441

I don't trust it. There is a bac that you can buy and I keep thinking the name is Spirulina, but I'm not sure. It has to be refrigerated.

I just really don't think any shortcuts to cycling are going to be a good thing. And whats the deal about ammonia kills any good bacs in your tank? And keeping one hearty fish in a tank for a month is the same as cycling. Just sounds like a gimmick to me, but I'm predjudiced against anything that cuts corners.

I don't trust it. There is a bac that you can buy and I keep thinking the name is Spirulina, but I'm not sure. It has to be refrigerated.

I just really don't think any shortcuts to cycling are going to be a good thing. And whats the deal about ammonia kills any good bacs in your tank? And keeping one hearty fish in a tank for a month is the same as cycling. Just sounds like a gimmick to me, but I'm predjudiced against anything that cuts corners.

I think what Vickie is talking about is Bio Spira, which is the product that Dr. Tim developed when he was at Marineland. He recently left Marineland (don't know what the circumstances were) and formed his own company and is now making One and Only. According to him, it is the new and improved version of Bio Spira. When you buy One and Only from Drs. Foster and Smith you have to pay for overnight refrigerated shipping, so I am now sure why that pet store did not have it refrigerated.

I haven't used the bacteria, but I was thinking, why don't you steralize the 29 gallon, then transfer the filter media and any decorations/gravel from the 10 gallon directly over to it. I'm thinking you may be able to do that and not even have to work too hard on establishing a cycle. OR if you don't want to do that, you can at least seed the new tank's filter with used media from the 29 gallon.

I really don't know what to think of the bacteria products. A few years ago I was having a problem with cloudy water and cycling. I was talking to a friend who keeps marine fish and she told me she bought a product called Biozyme that worked like magic. I bought it, and yes, it worked immediatly. I guess they can't sell these products unless there's at least a little truth to what they do...I just don't know how much of it to believe :P

I think what Vickie is talking about is Bio Spira, which is the product that Dr. Tim developed when he was at Marineland. He recently left Marineland (don't know what the circumstances were) and formed his own company and is now making One and Only. According to him, it is the new and improved version of Bio Spira. When you buy One and Only from Drs. Foster and Smith you have to pay for overnight refrigerated shipping, so I am now sure why that pet store did not have it refrigerated.

It is Bio Spira Kristen, and thanks lol. :rolleyes: Hmm, thats pretty interesting if Dr. Tim invented this. And if the lfs isn't refrigerating it, I'd think that customers would be wasting their money.

According to what Dr. Tim said in this interview that I gave a link to, what happens is that the bacteria goes into a state of hibernation and the longer it sits without refrigeration, the deeper into the hibernation it goes. He says it is still alive and it still will work, according to him, even 18 months after purchase, but that it will just take longer for the bacteria to reactivate after being added to water with ammonia, which is why people think it isn't working. He said not to be dumb about things and leave it out in the sun or drive around with it in you car for hours, so he is putting some caveats on it. Basically, it doesn't have to be cold, but it also shouldn't be hot. He said that the reason people get fearful of nitrifying bacteria additives not working is that there a many different types of nitrifying bacteria and different products use different types of the bacteria and some of these bacteria can't do certain things. What he did say was not to mash the bag of it around a lot because he says that the bacteria create this sort of "protective shell" around themselves while they are hibernating and mashing the bag could disturb the shell. Shaking before adding is fine, but don't overhandle. I'm probably explaining it all terribly. Anyway, one would like to think that the inventor of the product knows what he's talking about, but I too, am still a little iffy... but then, what about all those old timeys who think fishless cycling is a bunch of hooey?.... modern times, modern inventions....?

Edited by lynda441

You explained it fine Lynda. :)

Wow. Just imagine if it DOES really work...all the fish it would save that are lost during cycling, and the time it would save during fishless cycling!! But it probably would be pretty cost prohibitive to fishkeepers on a tight budget like most of us are.

Interesting, though.

so, I question the veracity of everything else that guy said. And I know that if a tank is fishless for the full life cycle of ich, all the ich will die and I would suspect that would be true of other parasites, but can't say for sure. And, as ammonia is used for cleaning and disinfecting in our homes, my mind thinks that it should kill bugs in an aquarium as well, but, again, I don't know for sure.

I questioned how much he knew immediatley when he implied I was crazy for using ammonia to keep the cycle going.He said "why did you use AMMONIA?! You are killing all of the bacteria!". I explained to him I add approx 5ml every other night, and in my tank, using that brand it takes the ammonia to around 2ppm.

When he said that everything in the tank had been killed off, I knew that was probably true for the Ich, Flukes, any other parasites that have been in the tank. What I was worried about was any bad bacteria that may be in there, thriving and just waiting for another fish to "attack".

He also said over and over that PP is not a good choice for disinfecting, and I've read Daryl's post and others saying it is a great choice! I trust Daryl : ) I also discussed the idea of disinfecting the tank with Acupunk a while ago, and she seems to agree. Let's see.. Daryl, Acupunk versus rude store guy? Is there even competition?! lol

I've got the bottle right in front of me. It says "keep refrgerated for longest life". I also has an expiration date of February 09. It says "best to use entire contents at one time". I know what you mean Vickie about not trusting anything that takes a short cut, but I am very curious!!!

Oh and Chrissy. I actually thought about doing exactly what you said. However, the 10 gallon was actually seeded with filter media from the 29 gallon! Sheldon was in the 29 gallon and got very sick, along with other fish. Weeks later, I used the media from the 29 to start up the 10, and then a few weeks ago is when Samantha got sick in there, seemingly with the same thing Sheldon had, but I caught it earlier. That is what makes me wonder even more if there is just something nasty being passed along. Angel is safe, because she is actually in a brand new 10 gallon with brand new filter, brand new media, everything. I considered using media from one of the tanks to help with hers, but I think it's not worth the risk. I'd rather be a crazy water changer than put something in there that could hurt her right now.

Lynda thanks so much for the information and for the link. I am currently upstairs and Shane has the tv on so I am going to go downstairs in a minute so I can watch the interview. I am sooo curious to watch it!

So here's my plan. I think you guys will like it!

First, would everyone agree that Sam & Miranda are fine in the 10 gallon for a while, as long as I keep up with the water changes? Angel is in a 10 gallon too, and the cycle on that is still developing, but I am also willing to do as many water changes as it takes to make sure the levels never creep up on her.

If everyone agrees, then my plan will be to use the One & Only as an experiment. I have the 29 gallon, and I have a 38 gallon that I have still done NOTHING with because I've been busy. I am going to use PP to disinfect BOTH. I will add the One & Only to the 29 gallon. But I won't add fish. I will just use ammonia to provide the food source for the bacteria. In the 38 gallon I will do a regular fishless cycle. I will keep the temps in both tanks identical, and use the same water. Heck, they've even got the same exact filter. I'll record the numbers and we will see how well the One & Only works if it was not refrigerated.

If everyone agrees, then my plan will be to use the One & Only as an experiment. I have the 29 gallon, and I have a 38 gallon that I have still done NOTHING with because I've been busy. I am going to use PP to disinfect BOTH. I will add the One & Only to the 29 gallon. But I won't add fish. I will just use ammonia to provide the food source for the bacteria. In the 38 gallon I will do a regular fishless cycle. I will keep the temps in both tanks identical, and use the same water. Heck, they've even got the same exact filter. I'll record the numbers and we will see how well the One & Only works if it was not refrigerated.

Sounds like a great experiment. I am sure everyone will be interested in your results. Keep us posted!

I think its a good idea! Girl, you are a BEAST on keeping multiple tanks ready...the queen of multi-taskers, lol!

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. I'm very curious to see if this stuff works. How expensive was it?

He also said over and over that PP is not a good choice for disinfecting, and I've read Daryl's post and others saying it is a great choice! I trust Daryl : ) I also discussed the idea of disinfecting the tank with Acupunk a while ago, and she seems to agree. Let's see.. Daryl, Acupunk versus rude store guy? Is there even competition?! lol

So here's my plan. I think you guys will like it!

First, would everyone agree that Sam & Miranda are fine in the 10 gallon for a while, as long as I keep up with the water changes? Angel is in a 10 gallon too, and the cycle on that is still developing, but I am also willing to do as many water changes as it takes to make sure the levels never creep up on her.

I definitely would believe Daryl and Acupunk over anyone! For sure! Yup! I think your idea sounds good. There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your goldies in the 10 until you get the 29 sorted out. Keep us informed!

Okay the bottle I bought says it treats 30 gallons. It's 2 ounces (59 ml) for $9.99. Not as bad as I had thought it might be. That was the bottle for freshwater. I believe the 2 ounce size for saltwater was $14.99. They also had a larger bottle that treats up to 60 gallons.

For those who have not seen the product the label says:

Use When Setting Up A New Tank

-Add Fish Immediately-

Eliminates New Tank Syndrome

Instantly Creates A BioFilter

Pretty big claims! We fill find out! : )

It also says on the back that the minimum dose is 10ml per gallon. Can not be overdosed. Which would mean in my opinion that you could use this bottle to treat up to 60 gallons, but that it's recommended to use the larger dose I guess. Either that or they just want you to spend and get the bigger bottle lol

LOL Vickie.. I'm actually just obviously insane!!! LOL

:BTT

It's the part of me that's like my dad kicking in. Be prepared for anything. Have extra of everything. There's a fine line though between being prepared and doing too much. Sometimes I am afraid to end up like him and cross that line. Example: My dad decided to get one of those scooters that are like motorcycles but you don't need a liscense for it. He bought one, for $2000. Then wanted a better one and got one for $4000. Again decided it wasn't good enough and got one for $6000. Then without telling my mom about it got one for $8000! Never sold the old ones! That was a year ago.. my mom left him. They've been seperated since then. Luckily so far all of my tanks total with accessories cost a lot less than his first bike. So I may do it, but not to such an extreme. And I always ask Shane "am I being my dad or does this actually serve a purpose?". He goes with me and "approves" all of my purchases. He keeps me in line. Then I yell at him for doing it LOL

Anyway I am excited to try this out. It actually sounds like fun.. : ) And the good news is. If I run into any unexpected problems down the line I could always add the 29 gallons filter to the 38 gallon for a week or so, then add it back and get an instant cycle. I will keep you all up to date. (you know I will! daily with every detail imagineable. You guys are IN for it! lol)

LOL, also off topic but my Mom is similar. If there is a soup on sale she likes she will buy 30 cans of it! There is this real butter she likes and she will buy 10 tubs and put them in the freezer! My Mom is probably older than your Dad, she's in her 70's, so we just figure that its from growing up in the Depression era. We do snicker though, when she gets tired of the soup and tries to give some to us! :rolleyes::heart

Good luck with this new stuff, and no worries...we are used to details from you lol! :D We expect it and depend on it!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sumname

Just wanted to say that I used One and Only with my 55 gallon tank and one fan tail. The tank fully cycled in a weekend. I put them in Friday and then measured the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate the next Monday (tank is in my office at work) and there was zero ammonia and nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. I would use it again.

Just wanted to say that I used One and Only with my 55 gallon tank and one fan tail. The tank fully cycled in a weekend. I put them in Friday and then measured the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate the next Monday (tank is in my office at work) and there was zero ammonia and nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. I would use it again.

Wow! One week?! Now that's the sort of user testimonials we need to hear! One and Only, here I come!

Geez! And to think I have the stuff laying around and just haven't had the time to start my experiment! LOL

Just had way to much to do with the new fish in QT.. But I have a plan that will be well worth the wait and as soon as I can get things set up I think it will prove to be very interesting..