It's A Boy!

lynda441

WELL! In doing my little daily inspection of Jackson in his quarantine tank, I am very happy and proud to say that I named him correctly! Jackson is a boy! :happydance Being a calico and that his gills are white, it was very difficult to see, but there!, shining in just the right light at just the right angle were beautiful patches of stars :stars on his gills and on his pectoral fins. It was actually the pec fins I noticed first and I went..."whaaa....!? What is that?!.... no, no it couldn't be!" But after more very careful, detailed looking, there they were! And of course, I did the libra thing and went, yeah, now wait... it could be ich... check the rest of the body... I looked for a very long time for ich spots on the body, but nope, none, they're stars! :stars Not that I intend on breeding, but it's just nice to, one, know the sex and two, to be able to see stars. These were my very first in-person, real life stars! :bounce:pianobanana

I would post pics, but land-a-mighty! I couldn't get the little monster to sit still for a general shot, let alone something as technical as breeding stars! :crazy:

It's always a good thing to know :nana . I mean who wants to be stuck in neutral land -- and to see them is very exciting! Congrats on Jacksons coming of age- you wont have to rename him Janet :aint:

Congrats on Jacksons coming of age- you wont have to rename him Janet

Well now Trinket... aren't you just the witty one with the cute name play! I love it! lol!

All my fish (8) are girls, if I ever buy a boy he'll think he died and went to heaven

Kind of like the muslims and sacrificing their lives for the cause knowing that when they go to heaven they'll get their 72 virgins! No, no ethic/religious jokes intended. Makes me think of Jeff Dunham and Achmed the Dead Terrorist. Anyone see that? Now that's off topic! And it's MY topic! lol!

Edited by lynda441

Congrats on Jacksons coming of age- you wont have to rename him Janet

Well now Trinket... aren't you just the witty one with the cute name play! I love it! lol!

All my fish (8) are girls, if I ever buy a boy he'll think he died and went to heaven

Kind of like the muslims and sacrificing their lives for the cause knowing that when they go to heaven they'll get their 72 virgins! No, no ethic/religious jokes intended. Makes me think of Jeff Dunham and Achmed the Dead Terrorist. Anyone see that? Now that's off topic! And it's MY topic! lol!

Yes I've seen that one :D It was hilarious :rofl

congrats!! :D now you get to buy those bubblegum cigars and throw a party!

ooh! I didn't think of that! I'll have to light up the tank with special lighting so that whenever Jackson turns, his stars glitter like diamonds. lol!

It's so cute I just had to share... Jackson is finally acknowledging me as his mom! :heart He had just been basically indifferent to me the first week I had him. Panicked and ran when I got too close to the tank, put my hand in, etc. Now, finally, every time I walk by the tank, he comes running up to look at me. He's started eating out of my fingers a bit, and nibbles on my finger when I put it in the water. Ah, don't you just love it when mother and child bond.... :r030:

It's so cute I just had to share... Jackson is finally acknowledging me as his mom! :heart He had just been basically indifferent to me the first week I had him. Panicked and ran when I got too close to the tank, put my hand in, etc. Now, finally, every time I walk by the tank, he comes running up to look at me. He's started eating out of my fingers a bit, and nibbles on my finger when I put it in the water. Ah, don't you just love it when mother and child bond.... :r030:

Mine still think I'm a bit fishy. I think because of their bad childhood and not so good early experiences. The little ones do the nibbling thing, the others still look at my fingers with deep suspicion. :unsure:

Edited by Quasi

Aww I LOVE when they start to open up to you.. It's such a good feeling... I feel like my girls are doing the same thing. Angel was always pretty social, but the Orandas were sooo scared at first.. Any movement or light or sound they would dart around looking for a place to hide and huddle together in the corner.. It was soo sad.. Now light comes on, and I see two little faces immediatley up at the glass...

I also notice a difference when handling them.. I've gone back and forth between using a cup and using my hands to move them when I do a 100% water change. Angel does best in a cup.. She is not comfortable being held by hand at all, and a cup works best for her. The orandas HATE the cup. They twirl like crazy panicking to get out. But they've gotten to the point where if I put my hand in, they come up and when I pick them up they barely struggle to get away at all.. It's so sweet how they learn to trust.. This is why I love goldfish.