Fair Board Won't Deny Folks Goldfish

koko

• Admin

The Tennessee State Fair folks, in a noble attempt to make sure they are not supporting puppy mills, have decided to ban the sale of all live animals at the fairgrounds.

They've had no problems, officials said, but want to head it off at the pass since a few vendors sell puppies and kittens at the monthly flea market.

Advertisement

Well, that's admirable. A smart and caring thing to do. But, wait a minute.

What about the goldfish?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../1008/OPINION01

Thats sad that goldies are not being protected. Thank goodness here in Scotland its ilegal to give fish as prizes at fairs or anyplace else.

Guest spawn

Some of my longest living goldfish have been prizes at fairs.

Mind you, I suppose the inhumane thing isn't being in the bag, but when noob gf owners put them in tiny bowls when they get home with a plastic bit of weed and no life but to go round and round it.

The store where I work used to give goldies as prizes during their Children's Miracle Network carnival, but stopped when I explained to them how cruel this actually is. They gave little plastic goldfish toys in tiny fishbowls this year and the kids liked them just as well. I felt pretty good about that.