Keeping A Constant Hospital Tank?

Do ya'll keep one extra tank up & running at all times? Or do you whip one together whenever needed?

I just got thru (thankfully) an incident where I had a sick fish off to himself in a 10 gallon tank. I am wondering if I keep the tank running all the time (JUST IN CASE) would that be a good idea? I thought I might could keep one Beta in there......who wants to look at a EMPTY tank ((there could be laws about that!) Then if I needed the hospital tank I could switch the Beta somewhere else temporarily!

What do ya' think? What set up do ya'll use?

Guest Isilme

In stead of an empty tank or a tank with 1 fish, you could also make a beatiful planted tank which you can use as a hospital tank when needed. It can also be very pretty! If you put 1 fish in it, where are you going to put this fish when you use it as a hospital tank? You can't put it together with the sick fish, or it will get sick too...

Edited by Isilme

That's kinda why I was thinking of keeping a betta in there. Hoping I would NEVER need it for a hospital tank again & it could remain a wonderful planted beta home. But if the worse happened and I needed a hospital tank again I COULD place the Betta in a 1 gal tank (with an air pump) temporarily.

Edited by Jeana727

I feel ya! The only place I have room for my tanks is in my livingroom and where my main tank is is a planned, decorative item, but then the qt and hospital tank are just plopped on top of my long side table and have displaced my lovely accessories and made a jumble of the overall room decor. But, I need those tanks so what do I do? Making your tank a planted tank so it's more decorative is a great idea, but if ever you needed to add meds, salt, etc. to that tank, you'd need to be prepared to move the plants so the meds/salt doesn't kill them. But, whatever you decide as far as decorating, planting or adding fish, I do think you should keep it going.

I set up Home Depot heavy duty pail, complete with filter and some borrowed filter media from one of my tanks every time I need a sick tank/quarantine tank. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to have a small planted permanant tank for this, space does not allow. Plus, I have a husband that already feels that my three large tanks are a waste of our apartment space. :blink: Imagine, lol. It does the job, and fortunately, it rarely has to come out. It works for me.

I have a 5 gallon pail in the corner of the laundry room, bubbling away with a makeshift filter. In that bucket I have bags and bags of biomedia. I "feed" the bucket a certain amount of clear ammonia every day - and change the water once a week. This keeps a large amount of media seeded. It may not have a HUGE population of BB in any particular baggie of media, but it is a beginngin population I can use whenever I need a new setup without warning.

It works well, with minimum work. It is out of sight.

:)

That's exactly what I am going to do Daryl! Except I am going to use a 5 gallon tank that I have no use for at the moment. I have some extra whisper internal filters that are filled with baggies of biomedia, not cartridges. I can fit about 3 of them on WITH filters, and then add a few extra baggies at the bottom just sitting there.

My plan is also to probably keep a couple tanks running. Since I am lucky and have a extra back bedroom that already looks like junk, I am going to keep the two 10 gallons I have and feed them ammonia after my fish are out of them. I will use them as QT tanks or hospital depending on what is needed. At this point I just want to be prepared lol

Guest Ranchu Addict

I have a rubbermaid tote I use. I take biomax out of one of my canister filters to seed it so there is no water quality issues. Works everytime! After I'm done with it I disinfect it and use it to store fish stuff.

I keep a ten gallon with a betta in it and the tank is filtered by one those penquin biowheel filters. I keep it outside on my patio ( I live in Miami and only have to use a heater for a couple of months of the year) I find that keeping a sick golfish outside really aids in the recovery. If you do not want to keep a tank around get yourself a sponge filter and place it in your show tank. When you need to use the hospital tank simply take the sponge filter out of your show tank that has already been seeded with good bacteria and you have an instantly cycled hospital tank

I have a rubbermaid tote I use. I take biomax out of one of my canister filters to seed it so there is no water quality issues. Works everytime! After I'm done with it I disinfect it and use it to store fish stuff.

I Use the same system. So far I didn't have to use it luckely :D *touching wood*

My 10g is a plant hospital when it is not a GF hospital. I put my plants that have been ravaged in the qt tank when not used for fish. So in reality, my hospital tank is always in use. I have a Fluval 205 for the hospital tank, if I need fresh media I just take it from one of the 405s in the main tank.

dkisosondi, that's what I decided to do with my hospital tank now that Luc is gone. After a thorough cleaning (doused everything with a high concentrate of PP), I put the fish-ravaged plants from the main tank into the hospital tank. Also decided to keep the marimo ball in there so the plecos don't eat it. It's a 20 gallon tank with HOB filter, currently housing 2 eaten-to-the-nubs Anubias, something unknown (but the ferret likes it), and the marimo ball. If anyone gets sick, I can just put the plants in a bucket.

--Roc