Pearlscale Behaviour?

Guest Christo7

Guest Christo7

Hi everyone, this is only my second new topic.

Anyway I've got 2 new pearlscales from the fish shop yesterday, they were "incredible looking" as my mum put it. I rushed back home to put them back into my aquarium. Over the course of the day I noticed that they started swimming face down, and found this to be odd as they were swimming perfectly at the fish shop. However being in this postion made them very vulnerable to attack as my 2 other orandas thought they were food. Sadly I was brought to tears to find that this morning one of the pearlscales was bitten and bleeding, it passed on.

Now I'm finding it very a very stressful situation because the internal filter I use, ''interpet ipf2 duo" is quite powerful when blowing bubbles. Consequently it is affecting bouyancy of my remaining pearlscale. I havn't got any other filter apart from this one so I'm really stuck with what to do. Can someone please advise me on what to do. Really need help.

Thanks

Chris

Guest diwaker

take off your remaining pearl scale fish and quarantine for at least 2 weeks in a separate aquarium or a tank with 20 gallon water.

if there is an infection in the fish or have any stress symptoms then you can use some herbal treatment like put some neem tree leaves in water ( 5-10 leaves per 5 gallon of water ).

thanks

This is probably going be moved to Disease Diagnosis and Treatment because it would help us to learn some things about your water quality and other issues that will allow us to help you better.

When you have fish who appear to be "normal" at the store (although fish are often suffering from something at the store already) and then come home and have a fairly quick downturn, it says that something is not right with your water quality. So, providing water readings would help immensely. If you don't already have test kits, get drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and one for ph.

But, yes, separating your pearlscale and putting it in a hospital tank is the most important thing at the moment. Make sure your water is temperature matched and you use a dechlorinator stress coat. If you don't have another tank, you can use a 10 gallon rubbermaid/plastic tub, but it will need a filter for water circulation and aeration. Bubblers will provide some needed oxygen, but not that much and you will need the water movement and filtration that a filter provides as well. Hold off on adding meds or anything else for now until we can figure out what this might be. Improper treatment can do more harm than good. Because this hospital tank will be uncycled, you'll need to do daily temperature matched water changes of 80-100% again using the dechlorinator stress coat. All new goldfish should be quarantined for 2-4 weeks before adding them to the main tank so you can assess them for illnesses.

Take a look at your pearlscale. Does its scales look like they're sticking out? Is it eating? What does its poop look like?

When this thread is moved, you're going to be asked the following questions, so if you start answering them now, it will help us help you faster.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

We're here for you!