My Goldfish Has Ich (so My Lps Says)

Guest davenj

Guest davenj

Please help me! I have recently purchased a 20 gal. tank for my 6 mon. old goldfish about 2in. I used cycle on setup with API stress coat conditioner for my tap water. His tank mates are a pleco 4in., black moore 1.5in. and an iridesent shark 3.5in. Im very new at this and i am now finding out that these are horrible tank mates for my poor goldfish. Though my wonderful LPS said they would be just fine when i purchased the tank. Unfortanatly the black moore died within 24hrs. after being introduced to the tank. I did every thing i was supposed to do and was very meticulous. Now less than one week after I first setup my tank my goldfish has ich for the past 3 days looks very bad. His fins are half the size they used to be. He's covered in what looks to be a salt. He also has red strips on his body and iritation on his fins possibly blood sores? Now all he does is pretty much sit on the floor of the tank swimming is hard as his fins are what they are. I test my water every day with strips. My amonnia level really never reaches more than .5, my nitrate and nitrite is farly close to 0. my ph is high around 7.8 - 8.0. I've already done 2 20% water changes. My filter is a Whisper 20 came with my tank kit. I also have a 100watt heater, but its turned down cause my water temp stays about 82deg. I feed all of them tropical fish flakes except for the pleco which eats algae wafers. Im on my 2nd day of ich treatment with Quick Cure. Add 20 drops every 24 hrs. and turned of my filter so it wouldn't absorb medication as instucted by what seemed to be a very knowledgable fish guy at vvvvv who diagnosed him. I have an air pump putting oxygen into the water (so I think). But in these 2 days he doesn't seem to be getting any better only worse. Even though this product boasts that it'll cure ich in 2 days. I've been to countless web sites and read may forums about tank care and what i should do. Im very confused and need help professional help. Not sure what Im doing is correct or not and don't want to lose this fish.

Hi! Welcome to Koko's!I am not a professional nor expert but I can try to give you a few tips until one of our board moderators or more knowledgeable members come along.

First of all, if you could copy and paste the questions at the top of the page and answer as many of the questions as you can in that format it would be a great help for others to see your information sorted out more clearly. Most importantly the current readings from your test strips. Many times unfortunatly the test stips are not nearly as accurate as another form of test kit, the drop test kits. If you are able to pick one of those up that would be best. I use the API Master Test Kit. For the meantime a recent reading will do, or even if you could take your water to a pet store that will test your water for free using a drop test kit, and give you actual numbers. (Not just say "your water is fine").

Second, I was in a VERY similar situation to you very recently when I found this board. There are many things that I am sure others will touch on, like the different varieties of fish being kept together, the amount of space needed for goldfish. Single tailed common goldfish need at least 20 gallons each, and fancies need a minimum of 10 gallons. And they should not be kept with tropicals because their needs are entirely different, including food, temperature etc. You said you were already aware of that though, I was just putting an extra emphasis on it : ) What type of goldfish do you have?

Third, I used QuickCure recently and had a similar problem. Not to say that QuickCure may not helpful used in different cirmcumstances, but your tank is still new. It is still cycling. There are some helpful links on here that you can read to help understand what goes on during the cycling of a tank.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

I can try to explain it, but this says it best. lol

This is where the quickcure comes in. Medicating in an uncycled overstocked tank can be very dangerous. Different medications can be toxic if your levels are too high. When I first came to this board I was using quickcure in an uncycled, overstocked tank as well, and the immediate thing that I was told was to 1) get test results 2) move the fish to fresh new water, treated only with a dechlorinator and matched for temperature. They told me that in many cases this is the BEST thing you can do for your fish.

The next step, if what your fish have is Ich, might be to treat with salt. Salting is a very safe way to treat fish with Ich. It is much less stressful for them. I used this method and saved my last fish after 5 of them had died in the tank treated with QuickCure. This link will be helpful in trying to salt the correct way:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

If you can work on getting your test results, and read up on the salting link, then hopefully someone will be along soon to tell you your next step. I wouldn't START the salt treatment yet though, just read up because tropicals and goldfish have very different levels of tolerance for the salt. But do read up on it so you will be ready if and when it is suggested to you. Another thing you can do in the meantime is to try to find a way to seperate the goldfish from the others. In a pinch a rubbermaid tub will do! But for now fresh water will in my opinion be the best thing for your fish until someone else comes along.

Good luck with everything. I hope things turn out well for you. Since I've found this board I've had much better luck keeping my fish, and met some really nice people..

A couple of things I want to add. Your tank isn't cycled, so if you have gravel, remove all of it. Parasites nest down in the gravel and more hatch, so if they don't have this area for the eggs to grow, it's one less way for them to repopulate. And then do a 100% temperature matched water change with the dechlorinator. And you'll need to do like 90-100% water changes every day to remove any new parasites that may be hatching as well as to keep the ammonia low. And add salt as advised, but make sure you read that link so you understand how to do it properly. Two, you said you turned off your filter. In your overstocked tank, you desperately need all the filtration possible. What you want to do is to remove the media from the filter, but leave it running. Good luck and a mod should be on here to help further.

Oh, and is your fish still eating?

Edited by lynda441

Yes, I second what Lynda said about the 90%-100% changes. When my fish had Ich I actually had two spare 5 gallons tanks.. Neither were cycled, but I used them and did a tank to tank method to do water changes to keep the ammonia down, and get the bad out. It was a lot of work, but it was very successful in treating the Ich. (My fish Sheldon had it VERY bad and he survived the Ich. Unfortunately only to get worse from a secondary infection a few weeks later. But the important part was that the salt DID cure the Ich and he had a few good weeks.) I would have him in one tank salted to 0.3%. I would leave him in there for about 12 hours, or until the ammonia started to creep up. Then a few hours before I was to change his water, I would feed him (so that most of the waste would be in the tank I was about to dump) then fill the other tank with fresh temperature matched dechlorinated water and salt at 0.3%. Then switch him, and do a thorough cleaning. I did exactly what Lynda said and removed all of the gravel. It made it sooooo much easier. After a good scrub, I would leave get the tank prepared for the next switch. Because I had two heaters I was able to set them and have them at the same setting so it was always the correct temperature. Keeping the heat at around 80 degrees was recommended to me. I will post a link to my thread. It's LONG, but if you wanted to browse it, it might help. I had a lot of advise from really good moderators and members.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=69521

Guest davenj

I just wasnted to say thank you to everyones advise its very appriciated. But unfortuantly my goldfish didn't make it through the night. I just wish I had found this site days ago. Again many thanks for all your help.

Oh NO!!!! I am so sorry to hear that!!!! This is so sad and disappointing! I am so sorry.

I hope you'll stay and hang around the board anyway. It's a great place to learn how to take care and improve on taking care of the fish you have now.

Also, if your goldfish was exposed, then the whole tank was exposed. So there will still be steps to take. I am very inexperienced with the other fish, so I will let someone else help you with that.

Again, sorry about your goldie. I was rooting for him, really.

So sorry, davenj, that you lost your fish. Sue and Lynda gave some excellent advice and if you decide to get another goldfish the links they gave you will help you understand what is going on in your water during cycling and how to protect your fish.

Almost all of us here on the forum have suffered from the advice from the "knowledgeable" folks at the lfs. Its not that these people are evil demons (I assume, lol), but they are there to sell a product, and the product is fish and fish accessories. Some of them have a skeleton knowledge of goldfish which proves the fact that sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Tropicals and goldfish should never be in a tank together. Both types of fish have different requirements as far as water temps and food. In a case of illness, their medications and med amounts are very different. Its impossible to treat a tank effectively. Plecos are also bad tank mates for goldfish as they develop a taste for goldie slimecoat. They are nocturnal fish and will suck on the slimecoat at night when the tank light is off. You may never see them do this, so you don't realize what is happening to your fish.

Harsh medicines should be saved for a last ditch emergency after everything else has been tried, and they often are worse on a fish that is already stressed and weak. Pristine water with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites many times will help your fish more than meds, as water quality is what usually weakens your fish and opens them up to an infestation of ich, which is always present even in the best of tanks.

Don't give up or lose interest in keeping goldfish. They are wonderful fish and its a fun and rewarding hobby. All of us here consider them to be our pets...but we all started here without a daggone clue as how to take care of them properly. Thats what Koko's is about. We're all here to help the same as we were helped. :)